72 replies to this topic

#21 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Annoying, I had uninstalled following an unsuccessful repair before I even saw this thread! Bloody DNS issues. I once put up a guild website for some game or other, and we had a guy playing from a strange country whose DNS didn't update for like 5 days.

#22 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

ipconfig /flushdns was not a recognized command in Windows 7 64-bit. *shrug*

As for using Google DNS...
http://apcmag.com/wh...-a-bad-idea.htm
http://www.blitzbasi...hp?topic=100413

Might work as a fix, might not cause any problems, but then again, it might. I see no reason to take chances with something that functions well for everything else just for MWO, especially since I already have a certain mistrust for Google as a company (privacy lawsuits, copyright infringement suits, terms in the use and retention policy for Gmail, etc.). I'd rather wait until the issue is resolved, or just quit playing MWO if it isn't resolved.

#23 RazorStaR 17

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

DNS fix worked for me as well.

#24 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 15 July 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

For the record, the google network "fix" did work.

Still very dumbfounded by what happened backend with this patch to cause some ISP to block network connections to the patcher.

Nothing was blocked; it just takes time for DNS changes to propagate globally. Google's DNS updates really quickly, thats why using the google DNS servers was a "fix". It just means that "mwoserver.canada.com" (example) was pointed to one IP, and the IP was different post-patch... the updated dns records just weren't available everywhere at the exact same time. This isn't PGI's fault, it's how the internet works. They *could* have done it in the middle of the night, but the game's global, so no matter what it'd have been in the middle of someone's day.

#25 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

View Postblood4blood, on 16 July 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Might work as a fix, might not cause any problems, but then again, it might. I see no reason to take chances with something that functions well for everything else just for MWO, especially since I already have a certain mistrust for Google as a company (privacy lawsuits, copyright infringement suits, terms in the use and retention policy for Gmail, etc.). I'd rather wait until the issue is resolved, or just quit playing MWO if it isn't resolved.

All this does is uses Google to resolve "www.google.com" into "74.125.227.97" - yes, they'll see that it was your IP requesting the records, but its fairly innocuous. The other option is to just wait a while while the DNS records propagate. Some ISP's take longer than others.

Also, be advised people, if you change the DNS server of your computer, you might lose access to network printers, other computer's on your network, network storage, etc. - the best way to make the change would be to change it at the router level.

If you don't trust Google, you could always use the OpenDNS servers (opendns.com for reference) - the OpenDNS servers are:

#26 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

DNS fix worked for me I switched to Open DNS

http://www.opendns.com/

Can connect now. :D

#27 Gothatron

Rookie

• Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

:D

#28 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

ok just a heads up and then I'll say nothing more on the matter.

I talked a Virgin Media UK Engineer tonight, I'm now a test case and being monitored using Googles DNS after I requested a DNS flush as per PGI suggestions, to see why there is a conflict.

They were aware of the problem through other customers asking what is wrong and not from an official source.

They told me to revert from using Googles DNS after two days I presume that if its a problem they can fix their end they will do so.

Edited by Cathy, 16 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#29 Syndrome Stoned

• PipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Im not doing this to get this game to work, you guys are supposed to be the ones fixing such problems, thats why I gave you the money I did to "buy" into the game at beta level and to "buy" into the clan mechs now you think im going to change the setting on my computer just to get your game to work? i think not,

On a side note today apparently is patch hell day. because as it turns out Riot(LoL) is also having major issues with their game, tho they didnt ask me to change anything such as DSN or some such, they just told me what they where looking into and shut their servers down, ontop of all that chances are they will give their players some kind of booster or something to make up for it.

Not trying to compare the two games i enjoy them both for different reasons.

Edited by Syndrome Stoned, 16 July 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#30 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just to let you know I am still experiencing this problem.

No doubt it will be resolved at some point.

Thanks to Kyle who tried hard to help me over PM - top guy.

#31 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

View Postblood4blood, on 16 July 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Run the cmd prompt as an administrator.

#32 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostSyndrome Stoned, on 16 July 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Im not doing this to get this game to work, you guys are supposed to be the ones fixing such problems, thats why I gave you the money I did to "buy" into the game at beta level and to "buy" into the clan mechs now you think im going to change the setting on my computer just to get your game to work? i think not,

On a side note today apparently is patch hell day. because as it turns out Riot(LoL) is also having major issues with their game, tho they didnt ask me to change anything such as DSN or some such, they just told me what they where looking into and shut their servers down, ontop of all that chances are they will give their players some kind of booster or something to make up for it.

Not trying to compare the two games i enjoy them both for different reasons.

The problem is somewhere in the link between you and the MWO servers. They recommended a workaround to resolve issues with *your* connection. Their servers are working fine. Fully explained like 2 posts before yours. Read first, then click post.

Edited by Fierostetz, 16 July 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#33 Giobhniu

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi, I'm not too bothered about a quick fix that helps me play my favourite pc game, as a 90s PC gamer I've got nostalgic memories of sifting through dark internet corners for sketchy work arounds to get my old games to work.

However I'm rather ignorant, and a bit of a nub when it comes to internet/network terms/works, I think I understand what a DNS does and how the change could help, I would just like to ask 3 simple questions, which I hope are answered simply (with small, easy to understand words, with emoticons if possible :D )

1) is doing this going to put my pc at significantly elevated risk

2) is this going to effect other games/internet services like youtube or netflix badly

3) how temporary is this likely to be, or is any information about this going to be unreliable as is depends on the specific ISPs

Please feel free to answer frankly, as I said, doing fixes for games I enjoy are fine by me as long as I'm not putting my pc at risk (risk that a pc nub might not be able to recognise and deal with without some lengthy tech support sessions which I have terrible patience for) I just hope getting an answer here is quicker and simpler than trying to find the info on my own.

Thanks.

Edited by Giobhniu, 16 July 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#34 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostGiobhniu, on 16 July 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Hi, I'm not too bothered about a quick fix that helps me play my favourite pc game, as a 90s PC gamer I've got nostalgic memories of sifting through dark internet corners for sketchy work arounds to get my old games to work.

However I'm rather ignorant, and a bit of a nub when it comes to internet/network terms/works, I think I understand what a DNS does and how the change could help, I would just like to ask 3 simple questions, which I hope are answered simply (with small, easy to understand words, with emoticons if possible :D )

1) is doing this going to put my pc at significantly elevated risk

2) is this going to effect other games/internet services like youtube or netflix badly

3) how temporary is this likely to be, or is any information about this going to be unreliable as is depends on the specific ISPs

Please feel free to answer frankly, as I said, doing fixes for games I enjoy are fine by me as long as I'm not putting my pc are risk (risk that a pc nub might not be able to recognise and deal with without some lengthy tech support sessions which I have terrible patience for) I just hope getting an answer here is quicker and simpler than trying to find the info on my own.

Thanks.

1. no - use a well-known server, such as the ones from OpenDNS.com (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 - feel free to verify at opendns.com that they're legit)

2. no - it might actually make some things start a teensy bit quicker.

3. global propagation takes time. you can safely change the DNS servers in your router and forget you ever did it.

The one side-effect is that if you change the DNS servers at your computer instead of at your router, you may lose access to some local network resources (network printer, etc.). To avoid, set the DNS server at the router level. You can also just go to start > run > cmd (hit enter now) and type ipconfig /flushdns - that'll clear out stored DNS resolutions and may resolve your issue without changing dns servers.

#35 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Servers work just fine is right! I had no issues with patch or connection. Which is AMAZING that my ISP was not hours or days behind for once and had things working when they were suppose to.

This is NOT AN MWO PROBLEM, this is a problem with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) so call them and complain. Not MWO, for most of us everything went just fine and we should be very happy they are giving us fixes and work-arounds at all.

#36 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Actually, by now, the DNS changes should be more or less propagated; at most 24 more hours, but that's very odd case. If you're not desperate to game, you can wait another day and see if things have improved.

#37 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Please see this post in the patch feedback forum

http://mwomercs.com/...-update-issues/

#38 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

your kidding me, all these years and this is the first time I had this problem

#39 Giobhniu

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 16 July 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

use a well-known server, such as the ones from OpenDNS.com (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 - feel free to verify at opendns.com that they're legit)

Thanks for the quick response, I've used these servers and so far everything is working and the game is patching, thanks again bud.

#40 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I am still having to change to the Google DNS to play MWO, which is ok for the time being but do we have any kind of ETA as to when this issue will be solved?

I appreciate that PGI is having to deal with a third party here but it would be nice to know when we can expect to stop switching DNS just to get a game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users