#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi there!

We are currently looking into a resolution to the issue which is preventing some players from accessing the game.

Please run the Repair Tool to resolve the issues encountered. If the issues persist after running the Repair Tool, you are experiencing a different bug than the one described and we ask that you contact support for further assistance. The Repair Tool is now accessible through the Patcher.

Our quick-fix to offer all players is to try switching to Google's Public DNS for your connection:
https://developers.g...-dns/docs/using

If the DNS still does not work, then please do the following:
  • Windows Key + R to open Run...
  • Run 'CMD'
  • In the console, type 'ipconfig /flushdns'
  • Hit Enter
It is highly recommended that you perform a full power cycle on both your PC and router. This should involve disconnecting the power supply to the router for at least a minute. If your router happens have a backup battery within, it may be necessary to remove this to facilitate the reboot.

If this still does not resolve your issue, please contact us at Support@mwomercs.com.

Please also keep in mind that these issues are predominantly related with how your ISP or router is handling DNS caching rules. This is a not an issue we can resolve ourselves and must be addressed through your ISP if it is a consistent issue affecting your web service.

Edited by Nikolai Lubkiewicz, 18 July 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#2 SubXulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

'ipconfig /flushdns' .... made no difference to me, i just keep getting 'Servers are currently undergoing main" :P

#3 SubXulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

Ok .. but I have never had to do this for *any* other game I have played :P , what did you guys change? I could connect fine last night.

#4 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostSubXulu, on 15 July 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

Ok .. but I have never had to do this for *any* other game I have played :P , what did you guys change? I could connect fine last night.

^ This : /

Its painful to see you guys try to play it off.

Edited by ZacharyJ, 15 July 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#5 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Having the same issue.

I have patched games on steam tonight no-issues.

Heck I even re-installed LOTRO for a laugh, and that DL and patch was massive.

Low and behold the ONE game I want to patch and really play is screwed up some how by something UK ISP's aren't doing right????

Weird that????

#6 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

For the record, the google network "fix" did work.

Still very dumbfounded by what happened backend with this patch to cause some ISP to block network connections to the patcher.

#7 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

The Google fix worked....annoying...but worked!

#8 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

You guys suck hard. I am not going to install some Microsoft Spyware to play this game.

#9 Kanya Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

For what its worth... I've had similar problems in the past. Specifically, in the early years of the comcast takeover of my region. It effected Guild Wars and some other games I played at that time.

#10 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

View Post911 Inside Job, on 15 July 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

You guys suck hard. I am not going to install some Microsoft Spyware to play this game.
your ignorance about how the solution works is outpaced only by the emotional infancy of your post. Read more, you might learn something.

Edited by orcrist86, 15 July 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#11 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Using the 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 DNS servers fixed it for me. (I've used that before when I've had connection problems...)

I'm still scratching my head over how a game patch causes a muckup with DNS stuff; some kind of laymen's explanation would be nice...you kind of tried to explain, but I still don't really get it - I don't know much about ISP or CDN nodes.

(And I don't really see how using /flushdns or restarting the computer & router should be necessary.)

#12 Khrull

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

I just followed the instructions and the solution worked. I did not change the router settings, just my network adapter, then I disabled it and re-enabled it and then it worked. Pretty easy.

#13 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

View Post911 Inside Job, on 15 July 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

You look REALY foolish right now.

#14 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hmm.. Sorry, occupational hazard following:

Looks like during the maintenance PGI made some changes to the external facing machines that handle incoming traffic. This could be a hardware change or a logical, software change, likely involving IP addresses. This is "normal" in IT industry, companies make these changes all the time. And obviously, from within the PGI's zone of control (their user-fronting network), it works fine (because people can still log in and play games).

What didn't appear to work is that these external facing changes need to be propagated to other, external parties in order for the traffic to be routed properly. Again this is normal, any other company doing similar things would face similar problems. This is primarily accomplished through Domain Name Resolution updates, to Domain Name Servers (DNS); these servers are maintained by various authorities and companies over the world, and is under no central supervision -- each nation typically would have its own authority maintaining these, and each ISP typically would also maintain its own set of DNS servers.

Thus, getting ALL the DNS servers in the world updated is non-trivial, but largely automated... but it takes time to do the job properly, and there's always someone who misconfigured a DNS server somewhere that doesn't get the message. So until these servers get updated, users who are querying these servers (because either their ISP are using them, or checking with them) are going to get directed to the old address.. which is no longer in operation, and thus would not respond, making your client think that there is still a maintenance window going on.

So how long does a world-wide DNS change take effect? Usually quite fast... relatively speaking. Within a day or two everything should bed down. But we being gamers, a delay that long isn't acceptable. Me? I'll just go out and smell the roses.

#15 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 15 July 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Using the 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 DNS servers fixed it for me. (I've used that before when I've had connection problems...)

I'm still scratching my head over how a game patch causes a muckup with DNS stuff; some kind of laymen's explanation would be nice...you kind of tried to explain, but I still don't really get it - I don't know much about ISP or CDN nodes.

(And I don't really see how using /flushdns or restarting the computer & router should be necessary.)

I'm not confident enough to mess about with DNS, I guess I'll have to be patient until it's fixed :-(

Frustrating as I've just spent (real) money on the game as I am really enjoying it.

Edited by TheRealTommo, 15 July 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#16 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

Mine didn't even patch, the message comes up when I start the client?

#17 Jaggi Zord

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

View PostTheRealTommo, on 15 July 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Mine didn't even patch, the message comes up when I start the client?

That's the uuhhhhh "correct" problem.

Try and rack up the confidence bud, changing the DNS isn't hard to do, it just looks more complicated then it is.

#18 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Actually, come to think of it, why don't Niko just tell us what to put into our host file?

It's a bad idea, and I'm just testing how stupid PGI can get. :P

#19 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

Nvm, finally caved and switched DNS, can connect now.

Edited by Belphegore, 16 July 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#20 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

So DNS is the only fix? Are the developers not sorting at their end?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users