Store Menu HUD

58 replies to this topic

#1 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Since the abysmal launch of UI 2.0, I feel the game has taken a huge downhill slide. The focus on monitization instead of fixes and content really ruined the love we all had for PGI in the beginning.
  • So, still no option to sort by anything other than weight class.
  • No option to sort store items (Firepower, weight, heat, etc.)
  • No option to filter out trial mechs.
  • No way to sell excess Ammo or Armour.
  • No way to see what engine is on your mech in the mech lab (Srsly, what R_TARD left this out?).
  • No way to see Equipped Modules in Mech Lab Screen (3 clicks to get to inventory, click through EVERY mech, remember which mech has your modules, 3 clicks back to mechlab
  • The Firepower/Speed/Armor/Heat diamond calculation is so wrong its completely useless. It takes the max value out of each category which is just some arbitrary value that PGI threw in there.
  • No editable smurfy-esque mechlab, seriously. One guy made a website that has a better mechlab that your entire team could come up with.
  • No way to turn off the annoying beep-beep without disabling ALL front end sounds (Such a lazy fix)
Here is Bryan's command chair post regarding UI 2.0:

Let's get started!

UI 2.0 is a significant overhaul of the existing MWO user interface, both on the surface and under the hood.

Three main goals:
  • Reduce friction for new players.
  • Communicate information in a clear and simple manner.
  • Make each screen relevant to the task at hand (contextual).

All three of these initial goals have failed IMO, PGI seems to like to fail in threes?

And one bonus goal:
  • Make the Front End a little more sexy.
Oooookay then...

General Improvements
  • Full support for Windowed, Full Screen, and Full Window view modes.
  • Supports standard game resolutions 1024x768 to 1920x1200.
  • More dynamic, lots of nice transitions, takes advantage of Scaleform and Flash animations.
  • Supports element locking, useful for new players and tutorials.
  • Frames-safe for 4:3 resolutions.
  • New behind the scene UI architecture reduces bad states, improves stability, and reliability.
  • Faster.
Resolutions worked, congratulations you did something right? Oh wait... certain 16:9 setups had font drawing issues....

Lots of nice transitions? What? You mean the 1-3 seconds of lag when you try and open a new menu?

Lol tutorials, you mean the links to the youtube videos?

Who uses 4:3...?

IMO the entire UI is in a bad state, its not faster. Its a chore to build mechs, annoying to navigate and just plainly puts me off from the game. I really liked this game 2 years ago, its a shame its circling the drain. Some may like it and if it works for you thats great.

#2 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Modules: I hate it when I add something to the mech and it says, Are you sure you want to buy this? ...Um...Yes... Next module. Are you sure you want to buy this? YES!! Checkout/Save Are you sure that you want to buy these? YES MF'r!! YES! (after 30+games a day, it drives me nuts!)

#3 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

its still a work in progress and while all the delays are incredibly painful and annoying and in alot of cases unacceptable they are making progress.

I honestly dont understand most of the delays and reason it takes so long for some things to get done but the game is enjoyable enough to give them the occasional pass. Assuming we can rage once in awhile on the forums and they throw us freebies once in awhile

Speaking off whens the next free mech weekend challenge thing.

#4 JimLahey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

UI 2.0 is a ridiculous click-fest designed to make you spend more time in the mech bay and less time on the battlefield making c-bills in the hope that you'll cave and purchase more premium time to make the c-bill grind less tedious.

#5 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostspjMrLahey, on 15 July 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

UI 2.0 is a ridiculous click-fest designed to make you spend more time in the mech bay

Just stop it. I agree UI2.0 needs some work, but this logic is strained and ridiculous. Few people are going to be pushed into new spending habits by a poorly designed UI, and I doubt PGI would make enough money off those few to justify it.

When I see entirely informative screens slapped with an "OK" for people to click, a browser-type setup, and click sinks that cannot be circumvented simply by buying new stuff (i.e. requiring three clicks to start configuring your mech after a game), I don't see some devious plot. I see inexperience combined with a theme of overthinking and trying too hard to systemize everything for the LCD. There is also the fact that PGI has been finally implementing our requests for the UI, albeit slowly.

Let me know when you're finished with your conspiracy theories.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 15 July 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I dont agree. Its got room to improve and somethings are still clumsy but it does what i need it to do. I get lots more info in the ui than I used to.

#7 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I still haven't figured a way to see how many heat sinks I have installed on my mech.

Other than opening the thing up and counting them in every location.

#8 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

+1.

What the OP said plus items like:
  • Filter for items that you own in the mechlab (you know so save time when you know you have it but dont' want to filter through all the other stuff that you don't want to buy
  • An inventory section to see what equipment and modules you have and where they are equiped (searching through all your mechs is not fun)
  • An option to set Mechs into active mode (they are equiped and ready) and have their own section so you don't have to go through a mech selection screen with all your other mechs, valid and invali
I could go on but many of these features are really just filter options ... not really that hard.

#9 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Wait, I thought that UI 2.0 was completed? Wasnt that on "The Plan"?

#10 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

For everybody that does not know. For finding out all the details on a mech without clicking everything. When in mechlab, There is a button above you mech speed and armor stat ( the yellow bars in the lower right) that says mech details.

Click that and you will get a smurfy style loadout of your mech. Also there will be two bars in the upper left afterwards that say loadout and equipment.

Clicking equipment will show what modules you have. And if you back out it will remember that choice so you can module hunt your mechs with about 5 less click to do so using that method.

#11 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Try making suggestions towards improving the interface instead of being a general nitpicky ******.

That is all.

#12 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostCest7, on 15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Since the abysmal launch of UI 2.0, I feel the game has taken a huge downhill slide. The focus on monitization instead of fixes and content really ruined the love we all had for PGI in the beginning.
  • So, still no option to sort by anything other than weight class.
  • No option to sort store items (Firepower, weight, heat, etc.)
  • No option to filter out trial mechs.
  • No way to sell excess Ammo or Armour.
  • No way to see what engine is on your mech in the mech lab (Srsly, what R_TARD left this out?).
  • No way to see Equipped Modules in Mech Lab Screen (3 clicks to get to inventory, click through EVERY mech, remember which mech has your modules, 3 clicks back to mechlab
  • The Firepower/Speed/Armor/Heat diamond calculation is so wrong its completely useless. It takes the max value out of each category which is just some arbitrary value that PGI threw in there.
  • No editable smurfy-esque mechlab, seriously. One guy made a website that has a better mechlab that your entire team could come up with.
  • No way to turn off the annoying beep-beep without disabling ALL front end sounds (Such a lazy fix)
Here is Bryan's command chair post regarding UI 2.0:

All three of these initial goals have failed IMO, PGI seems to like to fail in threes?

[/list]Oooookay then...

[/list]Resolutions worked, congratulations you did something right? Oh wait... certain 16:9 setups had font drawing issues....

Lots of nice transitions? What? You mean the 1-3 seconds of lag when you try and open a new menu?

Lol tutorials, you mean the links to the youtube videos?

Who uses 4:3...?

IMO the entire UI is in a bad state, its not faster. Its a chore to build mechs, annoying to navigate and just plainly puts me off from the game. I really liked this game 2 years ago, its a shame its circling the drain. Some may like it and if it works for you thats great.

They are not interested in any more feedback on U2.0. They locked the official feedback thread......

http://mwomercs.com/...ui-20-feedback/

#13 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 July 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I dont agree. Its got room to improve and somethings are still clumsy but it does what i need it to do. I get lots more info in the ui than I used to.

ya it has more useless info and less useful info.

#14 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostLindonius, on 15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

They are not interested in any more feedback on U2.0. They locked the official feedback thread......

http://mwomercs.com/...ui-20-feedback/

This is because its done right?

Or because they know every possible thing wrong and all the little annoyances of the UI?

The horrible workflow of the UI was brought up before it was even pushed to Live but the devs did nothing.

click click beep beep click click beep beep click click beep beep click click beep beep click click beep beep click click beep beep click click beep beep

Since UI 2.0 I have barely played

#15 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can see how many HS I have without going into configure and cycling through locations....

#16 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postcdlord, on 17 July 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I can see how many HS I have without going into configure and cycling through locations....

I fail to see anywhere it says "Heatsinks: #" as it did in UI 1.0?
Its a minimum of 3 clicks to get to the mech loadout screen which you then have to LOOK at every section and crunch the engine number (E#-250)/25 to figure out the exact number of heatsinks?

#17 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

This wasn't made for users, it was for development. They are now configuring it for users.

#18 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 17 July 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

This wasn't made for users, it was for development. They are now configuring it for users.

. . . Huh?

Isn't that the purpose of the test server?

Or the open beta period!?

Holy titmonkeys.

The UI is an absolute disaster.

Why is it quicker to select my mech from the mechlab than it is to go to the tab that says "Select mech?"

Why is the first thing I see when I get into the UI a cavernous empty space of nothing to do? (Perhaps appropriate, though).

It's like four different people worked on this thing without communicating to each other and with no real idea of what it was they were making.

The inventory is sprawled with meaningless, repetitive pictures that give me little indication of what it is I am looking at. Medium Laser? Small Laser? Now my eyes have to sift through and process text with no useful visual landmarks.

Mech 3's mechlab was better. Can we have that, please?

And let's not even get started with the rest of the... whatever that thing is they call a UI.

#19 yalk

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

A good start to fixing UI 2.0

1. Allow (and support) drag and drop from the mech details button/screen

2. Allow custom sorting and/or a favorites tab

Other additional changes would be gravy but these are essential....

Edited by yalk, 17 July 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#20 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostSahoj, on 15 July 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Try making suggestions towards improving the interface instead of being a general nitpicky ******.

That is all.

As has already been said, PGI closed the feedback thread. To whom shall I send my suggestions? You?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users