#21 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

View PostMaverdick, on 17 July 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Also Koniving doesn't sleep so he is available 7/24 to answer questions and give advice.

You're saying he's only able to answer questions on MWO for 7 hours out of each 24 hour Terra standard day?

Posted Image

#22 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

View PostCzerkthejerk, on 17 July 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

I've been saving up and I have around 2mil credits to spend on mechs. I read in the forums a "Leon the Professional" analogy about how us noobs should start with long range heavy mechs and then move closer in range. Unfortunately, being a day 2 player, that's about all I got since I don't yet understand the lingo here.

Also, is there any way I could buy just the chassis or the weapons and what not separately? I like having something my own in games like these. Please help. I'm drowning.

Hi o/

No, you can't buy anything separately, you have to own a mech, and then you can only buy the stuff that this mech could equip. It's an issue than many people complain about. Unfortunately, the majority doesn't understand why this is a problem, including PGI. So don't expect any changes there.
Also, there is no way to test anything you don't own (except for the trial mechs which you can't modify). after the Cadet Bonus runs out, ingame currency is always your limiter, no exception. Prices are very high (about 10-15mil for a mech, there are lots of hidden costs), and it's always a blind bargain. So make sure you do your research on the mechs that might interest you. You'll regret it if you don't. Most mechs can be found on YouTube to get an idea of how they behave ingame.

As for how to spend your money, you might want to check out this thread: Which Mech you should buy
If you are familiar with gaming, you might find that list of mechs helpful. If you have more specific questions/ideas about your first 1-2 mechs, feel free to ask them there.

Edited by Denolven, 18 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#23 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 17 July 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Better?

:D
Like!

#24 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I would buy a stalker 5M.

It comes already with the double heat sinks, and many builds don't need other upgrades.
you can play it as a brawler, sniper or lrm boat.
also the standard engine300 which is good for a lot of assault builds and fits the stalker it's quite cheap.

nowdays I wouldn't suggest a light to start, too much firepower on the field with clan mechs, a new pilot will die in no time in a light.

stick with the team, don't select capture mode for now, its tends to spread people

Edited by fx8320, 18 July 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostMaverdick, on 17 July 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Also Koniving doesn't sleep so he is available 7/24 to answer questions and give advice.

I do too sleep....while browsing the forums. :)

#26 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

I do too sleep....while browsing the forums. :lol:

Ah, so at those times you turn into a forum-bot and tell us how we can make $500 an hour and where we can get cheap prescription drugs. :)

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 19 July 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Ah, so at those times you turn into a forum-bot and tell us how we can make $500 an hour and where we can get cheap prescription drugs. :)

Kitchen sales. Buy whole kitchens for cheap.

Alternatively..
Spoiler

I lurm.

#28 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Just one thing to add after reading some comments on the first page.
Watch some MWO videos on youtube of a similar chassis to see how to play it (good and bad can be found in vids).
In your early games perhaps try to find a mech of similar weight and follow it (mostly works out well, especially if it has a Founders or similar tag) & help it, shoot at what it shoots, go where it goes- generally should work out well for both of you.

Edited by Ace Selin, 19 July 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#29 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Great advice from these guys. Once you decide which mech too buy add on another 1.5 million for double heatsinks. You do not want to take a mech out into the field without them. Many builds require a certain size of XL engine as well. The most widely used in my garage in order are the 300, 280, 330, 295, 350. These engines are one of those hidden costs they are referring too and will range anywhere from 4 to 6 million a piece. Upside is you can take them out and put them into other mechs.

If i had it to do over again i would go with a cataphract as my first mech followed closely by a jagermech. Dual gauss jager or cat is one of the most feared mechs on the field due to pinpoint dmg and range with no overheat issues once you get practiced with the recharge on the gauss. They can also sport multiple autocannon/laser/ppc builds that are some of the best ingame.

If you wish to make an investment ingame then many of the IS hero mechs are on sale every week for 50% off making them a great buy. The firebrand, ember, illya, and dragonslayer are great mechs and will earn you 30% more credits per match making them good grinders for cbills.

Stay away from mech lines such as the dragon, quickdraw, wolverine, trebuchet, cicada (3M is my personal favorite though lol) till you get more experience. These lines are viable in the hands of a veteran player who knows how to get the most out of them but in the hands of a new player you will just be frustrated. Also light lines you should avoid because it takes a high amount of map knowledge to make them work effectively and they are unforgiving of mistakes.

Good luck and glad too have you ingame!

Edited by beerandasmoke, 19 July 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

To add to what Beer said: Hero mechs will rack in the 30% bonus while they are played. Probably so it doesn't stack up when you have too many hero mechs. >.>
<.<
Which is a shame. I'd totally get 510% more. :P
Spoiler

But nope. Just 30% while using the mech. :(

Stacks with premium time though.

#31 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

My Grid Iron doesn't show up under Heros, it is somehow a champion -- along with the Phoenix and Invasion mechs.
But they still get the CBill bonuses, so meh whatever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users