P20 + P4 = P24?

27 replies to this topic

#21 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

You guys are kinda missing the part where his video card is working. He can get to safemode fine. I've encountered the same issue he is having several times before. Getting to Windows with a black screen but you can move your mouse. The times that I experienced this, the 'OS was damaged.

Maybe it's time to try a fresh install?

#22 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Is it working? The op isnt very helpful in giving I formation. My understanding its a new board new os and nothing has worked ever with this setup.Be nice to know if he can use his built in video.. gt330 is a old card they stop support things. The bios could be running it at the wrong speed. Different version of windows might not support it at Ll.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 25 July 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#23 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 25 July 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Anyways, the problem has now shifted to my graphics card (because why should it ever be simple?). I can't really tell whether it's supposed to be some kind of hardware or software problem. First off, it's the same GT330 I had in my old rig, but it's been acting odd with the new board. As long as I'm running save mode on my PC, everything works perfectly fine. However, when I boot up windows normally, I get an odd black screen on user login and when I move my mouse, it's actually visible on screen. I've never even heard of such a thing.

I run older video cards than a gt 330 in modern machines with no issue.

I've experienced the issue he's describing on customers machines. For me it's been problems with the 'OS.

when you hit F8 to get in to safemode, instead of selecting safemode, there should be an optionEnable low-resolution video (640×480) I'd try this option and see what happens.

Edited by ninjitsu, 25 July 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#24 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Ya but its the lck of the draw if they supported it or not. I had to trash a lot of wirless cards over the years because of this. Just a shot in the dark anyway the pci3.0 socket is the problem. Maybe put it into your 2.0

#25 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

View Postninjitsu, on 25 July 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

I've experienced the issue he's describing on customers machines. For me it's been problems with the 'OS.

when you hit F8 to get in to safemode, instead of selecting safemode, there should be an optionEnable low-resolution video (640×480) I'd try this option and see what happens.

I was afraid of the OS tripping over the new hardware, but in this case being proven right sucks.

Low resolution unfortunately caused the same problem.

#26 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Greetings all,

To the OP,

Can you boot into the Bios? Is it displayed on the monitor?
- If yes, it's not the video cards issue, it's the system still using the onboard vid and not turning it off for the plugged in card.
Seen by not having a video feed of you desktop, but still seeing the mouse.
- running bios settings before the video drivers are loaded.

You'll need to go through the Bios and 'turn off' the onboard video feed. As well as possibly set the display option to PCI and DVI. (could be auto once you disable the onboard)

Side note:
Your board has a built in video system, with it's own plugs on the back,
- power down your system, turn off the PSU and press the power button to drain the remaining power,
- unplug the video card, remove this 330 card.
- plug in the PSU, reboot and have your monitor plugged into the onboard plugs.
Are you getting a video signal?

In your current state with the 330 installed:
- check that you have the fan plug connected to the card itself as it's a self powered card, through the cards pins and not an additional power plug. And if you have the cables you could try the 'display port' to the monitor instead of the one DVI-I plug.- Finally insure that the card is plugged into the first PCI 3 slot, but be advised that newer boards may not provide the same through pin power as the older boards had. Check the new boards specs for what cards it allows in the PCI3 slots, as there is a min spec for some boards.
http://www.asrock.co...=Specifications
Nvidia drivers site for that GT330 card:
http://www.nvidia.co...spx/75991/en-us

Notes: GT330
Max GPU temp (C) = 105C
Max GPU Power (W) = 75W
Min System Power Required = 300W

Just some ideas,
Shame downgrading that new Z77 board with that older 330 card, it's now your bottleneck.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 26 July 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#27 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

ninjitsu was right on the money. I did a clean OS installation and now I'm not experiencing any strange behavior from my GPU any more. But one thing still annoyes me:

Who would assume a current gen motherboard to not have a basic WiFi module? Are thoe things really that expensive? I don't even...

#28 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Some motherboards come with wifi, most don't. Here in the U.S. you can pick up a wifi adapter for about $15

I'm glad the fresh install worked for you :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users