• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

Making this a sticky would be fantastic.

Here's things that need to be added (some that others have mentioned)

-RGR - Roger that (affirmative)
-TT - Refers to the TableTop game
-MASC - Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry. tl:dr -> Turbo Boost for your mech that can damage it.
-FLD - Front loaded damage
-TTK - Time To Kill (Time it takes to kill a target)
-BAP - Beagle Active Probe (Piece of equipment)
-ECM - Electronic Countermeasures (Piece of equipment)
- o7 - Saluting dude (Hey I never knew what it was before I asked)
-CQC - Close Quarters Combat

#22 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Cap - Referring to capturing base(s)
e.g. "Lights cap?" or "GUYS GET THE CAPS!" or "NEED CAPS!"

#23 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

3,3,3,3 or 4x3, means 3 Mechs of each weight class, this is a goal of the matchmaker to help make the game more balanced (however as heavy and assault Mechs are far more popular than lights and mediums this is difficult to achieve in a solo match)

2 man, 3man - 12man, refers to the size of a group of players dropping as a group, at current you cannot have an 11man due to the 12 players a team requirement and the fact that groups drop separately from individual players

drop, refers to launching or playing a match. e.g. I have had 5 drops today, or please ready up so we can drop. (a reference to launching a drop ship used to transport a group of Mechs)

ready up, click the ready button

the current official factions
Inner Sphere, the 5 Successor States, ran by the greatest Nobel Houses of the Inner Sphere
DC, can mean disconnect or Draconis Combine (a Japanese themed Inner Sphere faction) depending on context e.g. looks like we have a dc will mean disconnect, while look a dc premade will more likely mean the other team have a lot of players allied to the Draconis Combine
FedCom, the Federated Commonwealth, a faction in the Inner Sphere, alliance between House Davion (the Federated Sons FS) and House Steiner (the Lyrian Commonwealth LC), largest and most powerful of the Inner Sphere factions, Davion is probably the greatest military power while the German themed Steiner is the great financial power of the Inner Sphere
FWL, the Free Worlds League a faction of the Inner Sphere, a semi democratic state, partially controlled by house Marek.
Liao, a Chinese themed noble house who run the Capellian Confederacy, the smallest and least powerful of the Successor States.
there are also many mercenary corporations and smaller states , although the smaller states are usually allied with one of the houses
Clans
CW can refer to community warfare or Clan Wolf
CJF, Clan Jade Falcon
CSJ, Clan Smoke Jaguar
CGB, Clan Ghost Bear
there are, at current (I think) 17 clans total clans, but these are the only ones currently official ingame for now

Mech components
LA, Left Arm,
LL, Left Leg,
LT, Left Torso,
CT, Center torso,
RT, Right Torso,
RL, Right Leg,
RA, Right Arm
Head
RCT would be rear center torso, FLT would be front left torso

cored or Critical Damage means no armor left, any further hits will cause damage to the Mechs internal structure damage and has the chance of destroying weapons and equipment stored within e.g. Atlas C rct cored means the Atlas which displays the letter C above it when targeted has no armor on its rear Center Torso
Legged, a leg has been destroyed reducing a Mech to half speed or 40 maximum (50 with speed retention module), this is usually the most efficient way of destroying most light Mechs, the legs are comparatively easy to hit on most fast Mechs. e.g. sdr J legged, means the Spider with a J above it when targeted has lost a leg, and should be easy to finish off (but do not ignore a legged light I have made many people regret doing so).

edit: spelling and readability

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 July 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#24 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

CLAP: Clan active probe; "Should not have gone for the cheapest package, all I got was a Kit Fox with CLAP"

#25 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

A few more:
KDR = Kill Death Ratio, often used to "prove" how good/bad a pilot is. In my opinion this is not true as getting kills is subject to alot of factors in game, the roll you play, does your team focus fire or not etc.

Focus Fire = Multiple teammates attacking one enemy Mech, this is the most effective way to fight.

Stick = A Mech with both it's arms and side torso's blown off thus leaving it weapon less. Sometimes used for a pure ballistic/missle Mech thats out of ammo.

Zombie = See Stick but has a very limited amount of weapons left in the head or center torso.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

Some Clanner lingo in use.
Spoiler

Some navigational and body part lingo in use.
Spoiler

#27 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

"I've got a bad hip actuator now."

I could never figure what he said here, now it makes so much more sense. Someone needs to remake this in Canyon with some mechs sometime.

#28 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

"My hip actuator's out," is what he actually said.

#29 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Wow, there's a lot more acronyms than even I remembered lol nice list guys

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 July 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

"My hip actuator's out," is what he actually said.

Listening to it again with 'out'..
"I've got hip actuators out, my targeting system's damaged... I'm in bad shape."

Could be implied be blew both of them. Ouch.

#31 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

Could be implied be blew both of them. Ouch.

Damn rookies. Fall damage got buffed.

#32 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

It's hard to define that first word, because there's commo squawk overlaid onto the audio.

#33 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

It could be "ah, my hip actuator's out," "-squawk- my hip actuator's out," or "I've got hip actuators out." The latter seems most accurate to my ear, now that you point it out, but I'm not sure.

More importantly, how long does it take that guy's ERPPCs to recharge? =)

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 July 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

It could be "ah, my hip actuator's out," "-squawk- my hip actuator's out," or "I've got hip actuators out." The latter seems most accurate to my ear, now that you point it out, but I'm not sure.

More importantly, how long does it take that guy's ERPPCs to recharge? =)

Well, from what I've read, an ER PPC is ready to fire again within 6 seconds.
However, the Timber Wolf has 15 DHS, which in the basic rules in a one second time slice means what he did is impossible unless there's a delay, but the delay is too short between charge and fire.

In the realistic interpretation, he literally used 100% of the heatsink capacity he had and would have to wait a full ten seconds before he could fire anything that generated heat or he'd be shut down (and you can't start again until below 46.67% heat in the best case scenario).

This is related and gives you the two interpretations, basic literal and realistic literal.

Spoiler

Mentioned PPC charge up in two visual examples.
Spoiler

#35 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

The line you interpreted as "Computer: "Maximum depleted." (Might have said ammunition but it sounds like maximum)"
is actually "Weapon depleted"

#36 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Sorry Kon, but I hear both time:

Computer: "Warning, ammunition level: critical."
Computer: "Maximum Weapon depleted."

(But, it's a foreign language, and not loud enough... I could be wrong...)

#37 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

"Alpha Assault, this is Bravo Cadet! I've got bandits all over me, would you get down here?!"
"Sit tight Bravo 3, I've got visual."

"I've got a bad hip actuator now. My targeting system is damaged. I'm in bad shape."

"Roger, I've got them."
(This is actually a misstep from lore. Clans do not use contractions. It would be "I have got them" or more likely "I have them." In full it'd probably be "Aff, I have them.")

"He's got a lock on me, he's got a lock on me!"

These dudes are definitely Clan Wolf, and most likely freeborns to boot. Contractions are not entirely out of the question.

#38 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 July 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

Well, of course it's fun! Mostly because I'm right. =)

Seriously, though, correctness in language does matter, because languages are systems of thought. The human brain (like the computers built to imitate it) thinks in symbols. Language is a system of symbols we use to communicate, and also internally in thought. So being imprecise in language tends to lead to bad thought, something to be avoided whenever possible.

PS, how did you break the quotation frame, but still include the linkback arrow? (which is still broken, by the way.)

While you can think in a language and probably do, it's perfectly possible to think without involving any words or symbols, in fact subvocalizing ( thinking in language ) is extremely inefficient when used for anything besides actually speaking.

Also Atlai won the majority vote, so that's the one we're going with, deal with it.

#39 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sure. But all that means is that some of the symbols we use are non-lingual; it doesn't mean that shoddy use of those symbols isn't dangerous. Particularly since the nonverbal symbols we use are still linked to language - and language symbols are the primary ways we learn ideology and world-view.

Speaking of world-view, the majority can vote for ignorance all they like - my knowledge is still superior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users