• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I've noticed a lot of players mirroring this thread's title.

First off, lets start with a bit of history and definition.

"Follow the blue blob" was one of the first "tactics" I can recall being used almost universally in MWO. When a new player or a solo player would jump into a game with me, or with a group I was dropping with, and asked "Where do I go?", the easiest answer was "Follow the blob"

This helped keep new(er) players in with the main force so they didn't accidentally wander off and get blown up immediately after starting the round leaving them with a bad taste regarding MWO and leaving the team a mech down early on. This quickly became the "normal" strategy employed with solo players and affectionately became the "blob" strategy.

Unfortunately a lot of players tend to make the mistake of thinking that this is all they need to do in order to win. "I followed the blob and we got stomped!".

How did this happen and how can you avoid it?

Well, there's a few factors that go into it. It could be better loadouts on the other side, a little more teamwork, or simply just running into a team that was better than yours. Regardless of why, I am hoping to give a few tips and tricks that will help new players get more accustomed to how groups work together. These tactics can be used regardless of premade, pug, voip, etc. It just takes a little patience and practice.

Focus Fire:
This is the single biggest reason you see mechs melt quickly in the field. Ever wonder why your 100 ton Atlas was destroyed 10 seconds after engaging the enemy force? This is probably the culprit. 1v1 against most mech an Atlas is going to come out on top, if all things are even such as piloting skill.
2v1? eh.... maybe
3v1? not so much
4v1? Not a chance
and so on and so forth.
So what is focus fire? Focusing fire is nothing more than concentrating as much firepower as your team can muster on one single enemy mech as opposed to shooting at 4-5 targets of opportunity.
I know I know, "But Sand, how do I focus fire when I'm not on voip and can't communicate easily with my teammates?"

I'm glad you asked! This is where a little patience and practice some into play. Even though you may be a solo player, you have 11 other teammates to help support and that will help support you. Next time you get ready to engage the main enemy force, wait to see which mech your teammates are shooting at. If you have 2-3 other teammates shooting at one mech, join in with them and add your firepower to theirs.
You will always bring down a mech faster if you have more teammates firing on it.
It is also fairly easy to type "Charlie" into the text, that lets your teammates know that you are going to focus on Charlie and hopefully helps get their attention drawn to it as well.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 July 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Even if you are not on comms, when scanning the enemy team there are red triangles over every hostile mech. Solid red triangles mean that the enemy mech is being targeted by an ally. As such, you are more likely to help your team by shooting down the mechs they are already targeting, and most likely, attacking.

Essentially what Iraqi means here is that if you see an enemy mech with a solid filled in red triangle over its head, that is a good indication that at least one of your other teammates already has that enemy targeted and is probably lighting them up. Essentially it's a visual indicator that helps you determine what mechs to shoot at.
If you see 9 triangles like this, chances are your team is not focusing fire very well.

Combined with target prioritization, focus fire cannot be emphasized enough when it comes to taking down mechs quickly.

Target Prioritization:
One of the biggest mistakes I see players (new and old alike) make is not prioritizing their targets better.
Nothing is more frustrating than pushing into an enemy area with a few teammates in order to create a diversion, only to watch 8 guys blobbed together spending 5 minutes trying to shoot one Spider. Meanwhile the Atlas, Victor, Stalker, Orion, etc. are steamrolling the rest of the team.
Know when it's time to let that pesky squirrel be so that you can take down larger threats. If you round a corner and there's an Atlas, Spider, and Cicada standing there, your best bet is always start taking down that Atlas first. It's going to chew you up a lot faster than the other two can. Also, keep in mind that tonnage isn't always the only factor involved. If you round a corner and see an AC40 mech along with a another mech of equal, or even bigger, size, it's probably a good idea to take your shots at that AC40 first.

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

People tend to fall into formalism in lots of things if they're not careful. It's important to pay attention to principles like the ones outlined in this thread, rather than treat combat like a baking recipe.

On the subject of targets, it's all about damage output v. toughness. An Atlas is better to kill than two lights - but not better than a Timber Wolf or Orion, since their toughness/firepower ratio is often lower.

It might, however, be advantageous to spend your first shot trying to cripple the Spider, because lights who know they're being ignored will camp in your rear arc and butcher you, if your team lets them. That's more advanced tactics than you're probably going for, however.

I touched on this briefly when talking about target prioritization. Bigger does not always equal "better" when choosing your target. Remember the AC40 example?
That is what Void is getting at here. You have to learn how to judge the biggest threat. An Atlas with one remaining Large Laser can wait if you still have a relatively healthy medium mech running around shooting up your teammates. A lot of players get caught up in getting the kill. It's not uncommon to watch players run around trying to finish off a mech that has no weapons and therefore represents no threat instead of concentrating on taking down the remaining mechs that can actually shoot back at you.
This is also plays right into the importance of hitting "R". The target information gained from actually targeting an enemy mech can quickly help you assess which mechs are the bigger threats.

Situational Awareness:
This is huge. I cannot stress this one enough. This has ramifications across every aspect of the game. If you're preparing to sprint across an open area and the other team has LRM boats, consider your position, your team's position, the position of available cover, and whether or not those LRM boats are already engaging a target. (see prioritization above). You don't want to be the only target available to them because you WILL get rained on every time without fail.
Know where your team is at all times. Don't disregard the mini-map. It's a valuable tool that often gets overlooked. Even when no enemies are present it still shows you the locations of nearby friendly mechs. If you see a couple of your teammates following you in, don't jsut stop in the middle of the road blocking their path. All you've managed to do with that is bottleneck your team, make for easy targets, and forced teammates to adjust movement, which isn't always the easiest thing to do in a big assault mech.

HIT R:
This is another one I cannot stress enough. Even if you feel there is no benefit to you for hitting "R" to lock a target, it is extremely beneficial to teh rest of your team. It allows support mechs to rain down LRMs. It also gives you damage information regarding enemy mechs.
If you're facing off against an enemy mech and you're shooting at it's left torso when it's right torso is hanging by a thread, well you're not taking full advantage of the tolls available to you. It also lets teammates know enemy positions without having to stop and type.

I promise, if you start practicing these tips you'll see improvements in your w/l and see far less stomps in your gaming sessions. It won't, by any means, be the absolute best when it comes to tactics but these are some fairly simple tips that will help you improve your overall game experience, help out your team, win more games, and above all else have a little fun.

These tools require minimal to no actual communication from your team and even if you're on a team of complete solo players who don't want to act as a team, doing things like focusing fire, hitting r, and knowing the situation will quickly infuse more natural teamwork into your games.

As always all comments are welcome. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I'm not the world's greatest mechwarrior by any means but I have spent over two decades playing team based games, Battletech, Mechwarrior games, and various other PvP style games. If you have anything you would like to add to this please feel free! Please keep it on topic though and check the egos at the door. This is all about getting out some guides and strategies to help players get acclimated to a game with a very steep learning curve.

Edited by Sandpit, 17 July 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

People tend to fall into formalism in lots of things if they're not careful. It's important to pay attention to principles like the ones outlined in this thread, rather than treat combat like a baking recipe.

On the subject of targets, it's all about damage output v. toughness. An Atlas is better to kill than two lights - but not better than a Timber Wolf or Orion, since their toughness/firepower ratio is often lower.

It might, however, be advantageous to spend your first shot trying to cripple the Spider, because lights who know they're being ignored will camp in your rear arc and butcher you, if your team lets them. That's more advanced tactics than you're probably going for, however.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Great little guide, good work

#4 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 17 July 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

These tools require minimal to no actual communication from your team and even if you're on a team of complete solo players who don't want to act as a team, doing things like focusing fire, hitting r, and knowing the situation will quickly infuse more natural teamwork into your games.

Good post. Especially good for pugs. Concepts like these should be stressed over and over again.

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Great job Sandpit.

I would recommend adding this to the focus fire section:
Spoiler

I would recommend using your own phrasing, since that would flow better.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 July 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#6 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

One thing I want to add:
Be willing to break from cover to attack the enemy.

That doesn't mean to run completely away from cover and prance about in the open.

It just means that you cannot hide all the time waiting for the enemy mechs to simply move into your gun sights.

If two teams are in firing lines in a standoff, the team that breaks cover to shoot the same targets over and over again will eventually win. For example:
Team1 has mechs A, B, C, and D.
Team2 has mechs T, U, V, and W.

Team1's mechs just sit behind a ridgeline. Nobody ever tries to go up and take shots.
Team2's mechs actively broach the top of the ridgeline to shoot at Team1's mechs.

Team2's mechs T, U, V, and W step over the ridge in turn and all fire at Team1's Mech A. Team1's return fire somehow all manages to hit Team2's Mech T. He's hurt, but still fully functional with all weapons intact.

Next exchange Team2's Mech T changes position and the timing of his shot so that his teammates go first. They all shoot Mech A. This time Team2's mech U gets hit. Team1's Mech A has eaten 2 full salvos of focus fire and is dead/crippled.

3rd exchange, Team2's Mech V goes first to tank the hits, and he's shot by Team1's Mech B, C, and D. Team2 focuses into Mech B.

4th exchange, Team2's Mech W goes first to tank the hits, and Team2's return fire destroys Team1's Mech B.

At this point you have 4 mechs on Team2 with armor damage but fully functional, firing upon 2 mechs on Team1. The result is inevitable. 5th and 6th exchange will see Team1 lose another mech, and if Team2 rotates their mechs smartly they might not lose anybody at all. Then it's 4v1 and game over.

#7 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Thanks guys. With all the threads involving op weapons and mechs, pugs vs. premades, roflstomps, etc. These are just some things I've noticed while playing that (from my observations at least) tend to help increase those tendencies.

I can't count the number of times I've been o a team that got stomped and I can usually pinpoint where we went wrong as a team that led to such a one-sided match and more often than not, it's got nothing to do with the game balance itself, it had a lot more to do with the things I mentioned above. I'm hoping that it can help out new players in understanding that you simply cannot run around like most FPS shooters and do well in this game most times. Even if you're in the biggest, most heavily armored mech in the game, it doesn't take long for 2-3 enemy mechs focusing their fire on you to make you pop.

I'm toying with doing up some more guides that go a little more in-depth like what Void suggested. I just wanted to keep this one very basic and easily implemented tactics regardless of comm tools and such.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'll try to incorporate your suggestions into the OP where I can via quotes guys. Keep em coming!

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Feel free to incorporate anything from the threads in my signature.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

I think i remember Koreanese on his old youtube vid to target heavies before assaults. They have similar damage output to assaults but less armor. Effectively cutting the other team's damage. That and the heavies usually get to the battle-line earlier.
After that was to prioritize dangerous mediums.

May be a little different for Clans. May need to prioritize certain chassis before weights class.

#11 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Just going to add that blob tactics rarely ever apply in Conquest, if you're blobbing in Conquest Mode you're doing it wrong. See alternate strategies here.

#12 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 17 July 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Just going to add that blob tactics rarely ever apply in Conquest, if you're blobbing in Conquest Mode you're doing it wrong. See alternate strategies here.

I like this.

But, it's not easy to coordinate strategies that rely on finesse and orderly retreats in PUGland. =/

Sometimes it's beautiful to see teammates who recognize you're not forming up on them, so they'll pin the enemy, give ground gradually, tie the enemy up, and get out intact, instead of just slamming their 4 mechs into 12 enemies at Theta.

By the time the enemy realizes they're waaay behind on cap points, if they don't split up you just track the murderball and stay away from it. If they split up, you rally to hit one of those smaller isolated groups.

#13 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

If you flank an enemy team, and you see a Raven/Jenner/Spider/FireStarter standing still behind their assaults, unload on one of his legs before you shoot the Atlas in the back. Crippling those little posterchildren for euthanasia when you have the opportunity will always pay dividends later in the fight.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Sadly, the most effective PuG strategy in Conquest is to group up, find the enemy and win that first engagement. After that, you can scatter to the points and try to run damage control or secure the cap. If you split up and they hit you concentrated, you're going to lose 'Mechs - and then they'll be capping at an advantage for the rest of the match. It's a pretty simple Nash equilibrium; you ought to group up.

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Certainly, there are times that it can fail even if you win the first engagement - but only if the losing team is stupid after they win the engagement and refuses to get to the caps. Many players assume that you "have to brawl in the middle," or simply become tunnel-vision focused on killing - but this is the strategy done wrong, not a problem with the strategy.

Edited by Void Angel, 18 July 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#16 Old Bones

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts
  • LocationRocky Mtn Hi

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

One thing I look for on the minimap is a blue triangle pinwheeling. Usually it's a LRM boat or a slow assault that hasn't caught up with the group & is somewhat isolated. Whatever, it usually means that that teammate is dealing with some lights or fast mediums dealing death by a million cuts & they're too busy or too newb to hit R. Maybe go check it out & see if you can't give them a hand & save their butt. At least get close enough to get a visual & target their problem for them so the rest of the team can assist.

#17 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

You left out the part where new players are also told do not be the tip of the spear, hang back and let the team soak damage, basically assume janitor duty so the 50 & 60 point high Elo alpha pilots who don't belong in your drop (I heard the streamers repeatedly call us/puggers peasants recently) don't destroy you in one blow.

Therefore once the blob initiates contact, all the pugs become abject cowards who run away instead of push, only to die like...well peasants.

Until PGI focuses less on Store items, and more on training new pilots with anything from more tutorials, to single player missions that teach basic tactics and piloting, don't expect things to improve anytime soon.

#18 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'll add this: Never follow those "i hate lrms so i'm not gonna hit R". Those people let their emotions cloud their mind and prevent sensible reasoning from prevailing. There's a reason why "information is ammunition" is used.

#19 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Great article Sandpit.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

I've never told PuGs to screw over the team by hiding in the back - nor will most newbie helpers. We also don't have that much influence, anyway. Nor are condescending remarks from Random Streamer #482 worth getting bent out of shape over.

It does happen to be true that players often prioritize hiding to the detriment of shooting - but if you want to know the real reason instead of making things up out of frustration, you have to examine the way the game rewards behaviors. In a nutshell, the game punishes and rewards long-range combat, but defers the rewards for close-range combat and taking fire, leading to a number of effects - these effects literally condition players to seek cover whenever they are shot at, because the game is training them that accepting fire means that they are going to die, and soon.

Of course, "PGI wants money too much" fits on a lunch box so much better! It's easy to understand, gives people a great rush of cheap, righteous indignation, and explains the situation easily - the only drawback is that it's not true. The truth, as usual, is more complicated than a lunchbox slogan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users