Kfx-D : Useless? Or Diamond In The Rough?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=176&l=stock
I'm looking at this stock setup, and yes I realize you can switch it, but I'm looking at the hardpoints. I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason whatsoever to keep the stock omnipods on this mech? The way it's looking to me, I'm just gonna swap them out and make another -S or -Prime build. Thoughts?

#2 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

I see people use the 4 SSRM 6 build all the time on this kit fox. I would assume that makes it a decent light killer.

However, personally I wouldn't do that. If I'm going to use a Kit Fox, I'd rather just make it the ultimate support mech by giving it ECM, AMS, Tag, and Narc.

Edit: Though, this is because I like to be a supportive player, and because I've experienced the joys of meeting such Kit Foxes before hand. Just remember, you probably won't have much space for weapons if you do this, but people will love you for it.

Edited by Keeshu, 17 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#3 Tetryon88

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Having seen this build run in a lance with 3 LRM Stormcrows, I can tell you it's a royal PITA. you go over a hill, get narced, and die 5 seconds after to LRM spray. Is it optimal, probably not. Is it fun... hell yes.

#4 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

After playing around with it a bit, I came up with this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d53332be47d3f2

Thoughts and opinions?

#5 Lance425

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 18 July 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

After playing around with it a bit, I came up with this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d53332be47d3f2

Thoughts and opinions?

I can't really disagree with this. It just sucks that all of the builds end up looking the same when you take away the right arm...

#6 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostLobotomite, on 18 July 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Gives me that: ERROR: Sorry this loadout could not be loaded. No such file

2x SSRM4, 2x SSRM2, a AC-2 in the RT. 3 and a half tons of SSRM ammo, and a ton and a half of AC/2 ammo.

View PostLance425, on 18 July 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

I can't really disagree with this. It just sucks that all of the builds end up looking the same when you take away the right arm...

What do you mean?

#7 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostLobotomite, on 18 July 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Well I'd say take two CMGs instead of the CUAC2 (since you have to be close range anyway for efficient srm use and the CUAC2 has relatively low dps and you have to keep line of sight which can be your fast death, especially without an ECM) and take SRMs instead of SSRMS for doubling the dps because of half the cooldown. You will need it because your Kit Fox will be scrap in no time when you can't finish the enemy quickly, moving at this low speed for a 30t Light. With the additonal available tonnage go for 1JJ for maneuverability, a TC Mark I for better crits and faster targeting data + put as much ammo in as you need for this setup. My 2 cents.

EDIT: Oh, and take 4xSRM6 instead of the 2x4 and 2x2. Fire them in chain for constant cockpit shake and better heat management. Your victim won't even see you while cursing the constant blur, sound FX and view shaking. Haha!

I am absolutely terrible with standard SRMs which is why I have picked SSRMs. The point of the CAC/2 (Not a CUAC/2) is to let me reach out and touch somebody if I have to, as I am approaching. This build requires good map knowledge and good skill, but I think I can pull it off. I could try for a 4xSSRM6 build

#8 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostLobotomite, on 18 July 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Can't think of a reason why to take a CAC2 over a CUAC2 (when the weapon group the CUAC is in is switched to alphafire mode, it fires without doubletap/jamchance as fast as it can; when it is in chainfire mode it fires as fast as possible/with jamchance) but thats your call. I always take CSRMS over CSSRMS since that awful long cooldown makes them less viable when used like I do prefer to use them. But you have to have success with it not me, so stick with the streaks. I tried CUAC2 builds but decided that a CUAC5 is better since it is more frontloaded. But you can poke at 800m - but more than poking it wont do. Some players are immediatley getting to cover when shot at with that constant "pling, pling"-FX so it's good for supressive fire. I used to run with two tons of ammo but when the streaks are your main weapon one and a half are enough.

According to lore the Kit Fox has side torso omnipods (both sides) with an energy hardpoint. Perhaps they find their way into the game via a Kit Fox hero. Who knows? (I hope they do this!) Would make your build much better since it wouldn't be that ammo dependent.

Just try it as you posted above and let us know how it worked out I'd say.

What I really hope is that you don't have to buy the Hero KFX to get the hero pods. I'll be sure to let you know how i goes!

*Edit* Although now that I think about it, they're gonna have to add in a third Kit Fox besides the Prime variant for those who didn't preorder the clan packs. Unless they plan to just add in a KFX-Prime (As opposed to KFX-Prime(I) ) which I guess is one way to do it. Who knows, we'll see

Edited by Darkwolfe, 18 July 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#9 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 17 July 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=176&l=stock
I'm looking at this stock setup, and yes I realize you can switch it, but I'm looking at the hardpoints. I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason whatsoever to keep the stock omnipods on this mech? The way it's looking to me, I'm just gonna swap them out and make another -S or -Prime build. Thoughts?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2924a9ecb7b6b61

Edited by Nathan K, 19 July 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#10 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostNathan K, on 19 July 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

I like the build. I will recommend you put the ammo in the legs though.

#11 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 19 July 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

I like the build. I will recommend you put the ammo in the legs though.

Why?

#12 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostNathan K, on 20 July 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Why?

Meh. Just how I typically put the ammo. But I guess yours makes sense. Cuase if you lose the arms/guns then theres no point in having ammo in the legs

#13 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 20 July 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Meh. Just how I typically put the ammo. But I guess yours makes sense. Cuase if you lose the arms/guns then theres no point in having ammo in the legs

Personally it depends on which mech I'm using. Some mechs are more likely to be shot in the legs, others are more likely to be shot in the torsos. The only constant is that I never put ammo in the arms or Center Torso. People aim for the CT all the time, don't need any extra reason for people to shoot there. As for the Arms, I have a tendency to use them like shields (some mechs have bad shield arms though), even then, arms have the lowest defense of anything there and are usually the first thing to go when I get shot at.

Of course, I always put ammo in the head whenever possible, but after that I generally put it in the side torsos since it has the arms to protect the side torso, and because people focus the CT much more often.
This was especially the case when I was using the Wolverines, I used to die from losing a leg all the time, until I moved it into the side torsos, and then I never had ammo explosions happen again. Note: I always used XL engines as well with the wolverines. Just no one ever aims for my side torsos.

Putting it in the legs is always a good idea, but it's not the only way to store ammo.

#14 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 20 July 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Personally it depends on which mech I'm using. Some mechs are more likely to be shot in the legs, others are more likely to be shot in the torsos. The only constant is that I never put ammo in the arms or Center Torso. People aim for the CT all the time, don't need any extra reason for people to shoot there. As for the Arms, I have a tendency to use them like shields (some mechs have bad shield arms though), even then, arms have the lowest defense of anything there and are usually the first thing to go when I get shot at.

Of course, I always put ammo in the head whenever possible, but after that I generally put it in the side torsos since it has the arms to protect the side torso, and because people focus the CT much more often.
This was especially the case when I was using the Wolverines, I used to die from losing a leg all the time, until I moved it into the side torsos, and then I never had ammo explosions happen again. Note: I always used XL engines as well with the wolverines. Just no one ever aims for my side torsos.

Putting it in the legs is always a good idea, but it's not the only way to store ammo.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

#15 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Putting ammo to the legs is a really bad idea. The clan mech torso is always case protected, which means there is no damage transfer to the inner parts (CT) while the legs can't carry a case all ammo explosion dmg will transfer to the ct in case of an explosion. Further there is a good chance to quickly loose your leg if all armor got cut off.

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 20 July 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#16 Astral Esper

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationChaska, Minnesota

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 18 July 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

What I really hope is that you don't have to buy the Hero KFX to get the hero pods. I'll be sure to let you know how i goes!

*Edit* Although now that I think about it, they're gonna have to add in a third Kit Fox besides the Prime variant for those who didn't preorder the clan packs. Unless they plan to just add in a KFX-Prime (As opposed to KFX-Prime(I) ) which I guess is one way to do it. Who knows, we'll see

I'm sure Prime variants will be standard variants. One reason for this is because it would make no sense for them to make the Invader versions if there would not be normal versions. Not to mention it would break the pattern of pre-order mechs just being a standard variant that's special. As for hero pods, I'm pretty sure they will be purchasable like any other omni-pod, but will still cost MC.

#17 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Try the Spladder with 4xCSRM6...that is a nasty back hunter.

#18 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Definitely a diamond in the rough,

I was pretty crappy in the Kit Fox until I found the right build.

The Kit Fox is a 30 Ton light mech with the speed of a medium mech.
Getting close is bad for your health, I would not use SRM's or SSRM's for that reason.
Keep moving like a light mech should,don't stand still. Don't be at the front of the pack, Don't stand still.
Two Build that I use are:

ER Medium laser build with a Mk1 Targeting Computer and Small Auto cannon of some type.

Or

Pop Narcer, good support build and a lot of fun, but takes some skill to Narc moving targets from 500 metres.
Both Builds use ECM.

I've said too much already. ha ha ha.

Posted Image

#19 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostLobotomite, on 18 July 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

EDIT: Oh, and take 4xSRM6 instead of the 2x4 and 2x2. Fire them in chain for constant cockpit shake and better heat management. Your victim won't even see you while cursing the constant blur, sound FX and view shaking. Haha!

Until you realise thermal makes this redundant on all but 2 maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users