Clan A'la Carte!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm looking into buying some clan mechs, but I don't really have the free cash to buy the entire pack itself (well, not comfortable plunking down 240 for it at least). I'm looking into buying three chassys via the ala carte deal that they have, and was wondering what three mechs seem to be the best deals?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf and the Nova as the three chassys. I already have a decent amount of lights I'm working on, so I really don't need the clan one. And the weapon loadout on the three I mentioned can get pretty diversified.

What's your opinions? I already have lights for scouting/up close work. I'm usually a medium/long range sort of guy, and love me some dakka and pew pew lasers so they seem to fit. If a good enough argument is made, I could buy four instead of three.

Edited by Pistrik, 17 July 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

If your getting more than one, I would suggest the Timber Wolf, Stormcrow and Warhawk.

Pound for pound the stormcrow is the most flexible clan mech, fallowed by the Timberwolf. Warhawk has a INSANE amount of hardwired heatsinks limiting its builds but its speed makes it much more enjoyable for me compared to the Dire Whale that has to migrate around the map, though I pug exclusively so speed is important for me.

Sadly the nova suffers from poor upgrades (standard armor, standard structure), hardwired heatsinks (four of them) and hardwired jump jets (five of them) combined with poor hitboxes makes it a much tougher ride to do well in than the stormcrow. I still may pick one up for cbills as I liked it in the BT novels, but wont be carrying any games with it I wager.

#3 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

I would say Stormcrow, Timberwolf & Direwolf.

The Nova is great, but a little limited in what you can to with it. It also isn't quicker then the Timberwolf and Summoner, which is a pity. Stormcrow on the other hand hits above 100kph with speed tweak and allows for more flexible layouts, but no JJs =(.

The Timberwolf seems to be great, from what i hear.

Direwolf vs Warhawk i can't really tell. Not my cup of coffee. But i see many and more Direwolfs hitting the most damage for the team. They seem to be ballistic monsters. But slow as hell...

#4 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hmmm, so far Stormcrow and Timberwolf seem to be the winners here. I'm hearing people call Stormcrow a pocket timberwolf though. Is this because of the similiar loadouts or because they do so well?

#5 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

Stormcrow in my opinion is hands down the best clan mech available.Then Timber Wolf,and then Nova and the rest.

#6 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Alright ladies and gents, I thank you for the help. I ended up buying what seems to be the holy trifecta: Direwolf, Timberwolf and Stormcrow. Sadly they won't be injected until 7pm my time, but I suppose I can wait.

#7 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostPistrik, on 18 July 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Alright ladies and gents, I thank you for the help. I ended up buying what seems to be the holy trifecta: Direwolf, Timberwolf and Stormcrow. Sadly they won't be injected until 7pm my time, but I suppose I can wait.

True Fact: Clan Pack injections take so long because it takes THAT long for a dire wolf to get to your mechbay. *sagenod*

#8 FloofyKitten

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

I bought the timberwolf ala carte and I'm not regretting it at all. I highly recommend that if you go ala carte. You want flexibility, this thing has it. Want to be an UAC toting monster? check. Laser build? Check. LRM/SRM spam? step right up. 98.7 kph 75 ton brawler? yes please.

#9 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

I've had my timber wolf since clan launch, but decided to get the storm crow the other day. I can't believe how solid the stock prime loadout is! It doesn't feel like the timber wolf at all: the hitboxes are amazing for spreading damage, and the extra speed is very welcome! I also don't feel like a barn door trying to get my hardpoints clear for a shot: I can get an angle on someone, pick at then a bit from a long range, and reposition myself without being out of the fight for long. The head hardpoint is awesome too!

#10 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostxAshokx, on 25 July 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

98.7 kph

kph.. kilo per hour. what?!

Kilo is a prefix not a mesure unit.

Edited by Turist0AT, 04 August 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#11 FloofyKitten

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

redacted.

Edited by xAshokx, 10 August 2014 - 02:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users