How To Pilot A Light Mech And Avoid Fall Damage

guide

10 replies to this topic

#1 Deucebackpack

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

EDIT:
Patch 1.3.307 significantly reduced fall damage for light mechs. This may make some of the tips in this guide obsolete.
http://mwomercs.com/...07-29-jul-2014/

After the fall damage was implemented into the game in the 1.3.302 - 02-Jul-2014 patch there has been alot of posts regarding the perceived difficulty in piloting a light mech without excessively damaging the legs. So I thought I would start this new topic with some tips on how to pilot light mechs now:

- Always pay attention to the ground in front of you!
- Listen to the sound of your mech walking. If it gets quiet then you are airborne and should immediately lift the throttle.
- Do not run straight over uneven terrain! Make turns and seek flat areas.
- Try running down slopes at a slight angle not in a straight line.
- Avoid unnecessary jumping when piloting a jump jet light mech.
- Also when using jump jets leave some fuel for a brake before you touch the ground.

But the main thing is that you need to adapt. You need to understand that every time you go airborne you risk damage to your legs. With that in mind you will also learn to pilot your mech so that it stays on the ground. It is not really that hard once you get used to it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Deucebackpack, 29 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#2 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for this hints !

#3 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

But spinning midair, and shooting backwards and then changing directions rapidly when you land is so fun...

#4 Deucebackpack

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 19 July 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

But spinning midair, and shooting backwards and then changing directions rapidly when you land is so fun...

Ofcourse you can still do that but you need to reserve some fuel to soften the landing and you should only make that manoeuvre in a relatively flat area.

Edited by Deucebackpack, 19 July 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#5 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Tried your tipps. Fall-damage is really brutal on my TDK, hopefully, this combined with the shock-absorbance module will work out for non-jumpjets 'mechs.

On a sidenote, i can hardly understand to why i constantly hurt my 'mechs legs for every 3 meter of ground difference while running straight into a concrete wall with 171 KPH seems to have no effect on my 'mech at all.

Edited by LOADED, 20 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#6 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostLOADED, on 20 July 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

On a sidenote, i can hardly understand to why i constantly hurt my 'mechs legs for every 3 meter of ground difference while running straight into a concrete wall with 171 KPH seems to have no effect on my 'mech at all.

YEp.. Highlighted this stupidity before... Totally inconsistent...
Calculated the amount of energy on impact being smashed into a wall at 151KPH in a 35 Ton mech is the same as being drop from 90M in the air at 1G. DOH !!! Fall damage fail...

Edited by ShinVector, 20 July 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#7 Deucebackpack

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostLOADED, on 20 July 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Tried your tipps. Fall-damage is really brutal on my TDK, hopefully, this combined with the shock-absorbance module will work out for non-jumpjets 'mechs.

Hope it helps. The main thing is to forget all that you learned before when there was no real fall damage in the game. It can take a while to relearn to play lights. I have not tested the module myself but I imagine it helps a bit. Dont expect too much from it though.

#8 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Ahhh been working on Nova and Stormcrow was wondering why no one been playing lights last few days seems like they are always low percentage.

If just going down a hill can cause leg damage yup that would lower the fun factor... but does give some limits running around with hair on fire.

#9 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

But...

But...

I wanna be the Dukes of Hazard in the General Lee!!!!!

I want that one glorious run up the ramp on the HPG manifold where on the way up i land the killshot on a Twolf and hit the JJ and soar into the air off the other side while yelling, 'YEEEEE HHHAAAAWWWWW'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my teammates all like, 'and that was a little bit more than the law would allow'.

I WILL have a bright orange Fire Moth!!! ;)

#10 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

So far my biggest issue is with landing after jumping. This is true for me on all chassis classes and not just lights. I always save at least 15% fuel for breaking and it seems to do very little. As a matter of fact the only way I can completely avoid fall damage to my legs after jumping is if I save almost half my fuel for landing. Basically going up until I use half of it, then as soon as I start to come down tap it all the way down to ensure a soft landing.

Even holding on to 25% of my fuel isn't enough to decelerate my mech properly after a jump most of the time.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong because every once in a while I will take no fall damage, but that is unusual.

#11 Deucebackpack

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 21 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

So far my biggest issue is with landing after jumping. This is true for me on all chassis classes and not just lights. I always save at least 15% fuel for breaking and it seems to do very little. As a matter of fact the only way I can completely avoid fall damage to my legs after jumping is if I save almost half my fuel for landing. Basically going up until I use half of it, then as soon as I start to come down tap it all the way down to ensure a soft landing.

Even holding on to 25% of my fuel isn't enough to decelerate my mech properly after a jump most of the time.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong because every once in a while I will take no fall damage, but that is unusual.

There is no clear rule how much fuel you need to save for landing. Depending on how high the fall is you may need all the fuel for a soft landing.

Try practising jumping in the Testing grounds. Pay close attention to the fall speed indicator (ft/s) that appears on the right hand side of the HUD compass. If the number goes below -30 ft/s then you will take leg damage. Also when you take damage the fall speed indicator flashes with the letter "L" or "H" and the speed. "L" will flash to indicate light damage was taken and "H" for high. (for example: "L -32 ft/s" = Ligth damage taken fall speed 32 feet per second)
Posted Image

In my testing with the trial spider that has two jump jets installed I found that the maximum height I could fall safely was about 100 - 120 meters and I needed almost all the fuel for braking. This will ofcourse vary depending on mech type and number of jump jets installed.

You might also want to read closely the patch notes here:
http://mwomercs.com/...02-02-jul-2014/
Specificaly the section "How Fall Damage Triggers".

EDIT:
After patch 1.3.307 the measurement for fall speed is now meters per second (m/s). Also the speed at which damage occurs has changed.

Edited by Deucebackpack, 29 July 2014 - 11:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users