Lrms Are So Op

97 replies to this topic

#1 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Look at all of the trouble I had to go through in order to avoid being hit by the majority of their team, which was camping down below with LRMs ready.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I only took the second picture to illustrate just HOW HIGH the cover had to be in order to protect me from missiles.

Note that all of those enemy mechs were firing at me specifically until I managed to get to cover, and I had to back up while torso twisting a bit and returning fire until I got there.

That was an unacceptable strain upon me and should not ever be expected of anyone caught flat footed. It is completely unreasonable to expect anyone to have the presence of mind or the common sense to walk to the nearest object that is taller than their mech when they are taking heavy fire, especially given the absurd height requirements for something to protect you from missile fire.

---

And for the record, I did die in that situation- when they finally came up to kill me, not from an inescapable shower of LRMs, and I only died then because:

1: I didn't have the good sense to drop down into the tunnels and retreat when I had the chance, instead opting to help my teammates that were off at a different angle from my position behind the building.

2: I didn't realize 1 of my lancemates was AFK (I should have been paying more attention, but I was a bit distracted on my end- iirc it was the closer one on the minimap that was AFK) and I really shouldn't have been over there with just the one guy (that poor guy who got iced early on) to begin with.

Those were tactical errors on my part, and in no way the result of some terrible MMO style pinning effect from being hit by LRMs.

The angle did help me out a little, but it is far from an impossible task to find cover a bit taller than that and do exactly what I did here.

If a mediocre-at-best player can figure this out, so can you. All of you. Even the guys who have 3+ different weapon types in one group.

If you can figure out how to make an LRM whining thread, you can figure out how to move and shoot while taking fire.

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostSephlock, on 18 July 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Look at all of the trouble I had to go through in order to avoid being hit by the majority of their team, which was camping down below with LRMs ready.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I only took the second picture to illustrate just HOW HIGH the cover had to be in order to protect me from missiles.

Note that all of those enemy mechs were firing at me specifically until I managed to get to cover, and I had to back up while torso twisting a bit and returning fire until I got there.

That was an unacceptable strain upon me and should not ever be expected of anyone caught flat footed. It is completely unreasonable to expect anyone to have the presence of mind or the common sense to walk to the nearest object that is taller than their mech when they are taking heavy fire, especially given the absurd height requirements for something to protect you from missile fire.

---

And for the record, I did die in that situation- when they finally came up to kill me, not from an inescapable shower of LRMs, and I only died then because:

1: I didn't have the good sense to drop down into the tunnels and retreat when I had the chance, instead opting to help my teammates that were off at a different angle from my position behind the building.

2: I didn't realize 1 of my lancemates was AFK (I should have been paying more attention, but I was a bit distracted on my end- iirc it was the closer one on the minimap that was AFK) and I really shouldn't have been over there with just the one guy (that poor guy who got iced early on) to begin with.

Those were tactical errors on my part, and in no way the result of some terrible MMO style pinning effect from being hit by LRMs.

The angle did help me out a little, but it is far from an impossible task to find cover a bit taller than that and do exactly what I did here.

If a mediocre-at-best player can figure this out, so can you. All of you. Even the guys who have 3+ different weapon types in one group.

If you can figure out how to make an LRM whining thread, you can figure out how to move and shoot while taking fire.

*underhive voice*

"but then you have to stay in that spot the entire match or die from LRMS!"

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

That has more or less to do with the LRM arc.... which was a change a while ago where Paul had the "dive dive dive" diagram of the bugged LRMs. While the LRM diving arc is more reasonable after fixing said bug, it changed how some of the existing buildings worked for cover (as in, invalidated a few of the existing ones).

So, good luck with that. This has increased the use of ECM in the queues as of late as well...

Edited by Deathlike, 18 July 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

The beehive. It has been kicked!

*ducks for cover*

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

lol if there's any justice this will stay up as long as the lrms are op threads are allowed :D made me chuckle

#6 Tripzter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

The problem isnt with missile exactly.. its the fact that you get a team with 6 missile boats all firing at the same time.

#7 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

To the OP, you do realise that cover your behind is insufficient for the arc of LRMs? You're in a Warhawk, the top of your mech is at least two metres higher than the cockpit. On the plus side, at least it was only LRMs firing at you. If you'd been caught flat-footed by a Meta Build, you'd probably be open ST by the time you found cover.

Edit, and I would kill for that Setup for my Mechwarrior Experience!

Edited by Thunder Child, 18 July 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#8 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 18 July 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

To the OP, you do realise that cover your behind is insufficient for the arc of LRMs? You're in a Warhawk, the top of your mech is at least two metres higher than the cockpit. On the plus side, at least it was only LRMs firing at you. If you'd been caught flat-footed by a Meta Build, you'd probably be open ST by the time you found cover.

Edit, and I would kill for that Setup for my Mechwarrior Experience!

It wasn't, and yes if they had been meta builds I would have even torn apart.

#9 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Why didn't you just fire your 2000+ LRMs back and give them a dose of their own medicine?

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 18 July 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

Why didn't you just fire your 2000+ LRMs back and give them a dose of their own medicine?

1/ He ran out of ammo
2/ ennemy protected by Fox-Umbrella
3/ No lock on target
4/ No LRM on his Warhawk
5/ Duncan Fisher

#11 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostSephlock, on 18 July 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

---

UM....you sure a "good" lrm pilot didn't flank you?

#12 FdM

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 19 July 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

UM....you sure a "good" lrm pilot didn't flank you?

Good pilots with no skill weapons? Inconceivable!

#13 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

Yep, LRM's are OP, clan are P2W, and Cheryl Cole is a good singer.

:D

#14 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

We experimented with LRMs and spotters the other night.

The alignment of things that need to go right for them to be effective is so hard to control that they are mostly ineffective in group play.

I am assuming all LRMs are OP threads are from the solo queue now where everything is OP.

#15 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

LRMs are OP, so long as no-one is looking at you. If you can stand somewhere nice and quiet, and let all your team mates do the dirty work, and the poor SoB on the other end sits in the open waving a flag for you to shoot at, LRMs are OP.

Or, you could be me in my BLR-1S. I die frequently with my LRM boat. Why? Because by god, I payed good money for that Artemis FCS, so I'll be damned if I'm not going to go toe to toe with some upstart PPC Jumpsniper! LoS LRM Pilot ftw! Except when I lose. Probably why I don't use it that often I suppose. On the other hand, my Firebrand just had an excellent game. I took the legs of 5 Clan Mechs in one match!

#16 Sahrang

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Lrm's are for cowards, those who don't have the bravery to use standard weapons, those who prefer to stay hidden 1km away from their target.

Rewards should be decreased when you use lrm's, because it's a way too easy weapon to handle, compared to the other standard weapons.

#17 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Holy crap. You found cover in River City? Someone is working hard for a cookie. Unfortunately, not hard enough.

#18 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostSahrang, on 19 July 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Lrm's are for cowards, those who don't have the bravery to use standard weapons, those who prefer to stay hidden 1km away from their target.

Rewards should be decreased when you use lrm's, because it's a way too easy weapon to handle, compared to the other standard weapons.
Thats funny one of my biggest problems was the minimum range on my lrms. I been doing better now with the clan lrms on my summoner. I find if you want to hit targets you have to get your own locks .If not half the time you hit buildings wasting ammo or your spotter drops the lock to often. I can see why the noobs stay back 700m .When I boat lrms Im the primary target.

#19 Sahrang

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 19 July 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Thats funny one of my biggest problems was the minimum range on my lrms. I been doing better now with the clan lrms on my summoner. I find if you want to hit targets you have to get your own locks .If not half the time you hit buildings wasting ammo or your spotter drops the lock to often. I can see why the noobs stay back 700m .When I boat lrms Im the primary target.

I think lrm's should start where srm's end (270m)

Edited by Sahrang, 19 July 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#20 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

Yep, LRM's are OP, clan are P2W, and Cheryl Cole is a good singer.

:D

And Justin Bieber is God! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users