Low Fps Help

20 replies to this topic

#1 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

So I started MWOback in open beta and decided to come back to after a few months hiatus.
Back then I was alright with my FPS i would juggle between 20-40 which was actually playable,
but now after a few patches my FPS would drop really low and i mean stupidly low, like unplayable low. Like i would stay between 5-20 FPS, and i don't find it playable.
This is my current rig taken from the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program

ALINEWARE-PC
GPU: GeForce GT 555M
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.95 GB usable)
Current resolution: 1440 x 900, 60Hz
Driver version: 340.43
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

I Also use a 14inch LCD Tv as a Monitor connected via VGA Cable. I don't know if this affects anything or not.

Plzz help! I'm not the best with computers but I try my best and all the help will be appreciated :D

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

You are running low ghz CPU laptop.........Your first and best bet is to find a low end custom cnfg setup to unload some things not needed.

#3 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 19 July 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

You are running low ghz CPU laptop.........Your first and best bet is to find a low end custom cnfg setup to unload some things not needed.

.......ok, hehehe and how do i do that?
soz tech noob here :D

#4 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1310835

In the spoiler tab, is the copy/paste material......instructions are close by.

#5 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 19 July 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

In the spoiler tab, is the copy/paste material......instructions are close by.

Ok I created a user.cfg file through notepad, copied what was posted and saved it into the mechwarrioronline folder.
I ran mwo but my FPS is still low.

I read the post but i couldn't find the file or folder stated below.

IMPORTANT: Enable the use of custom user.cfg by editing the attributes.xml file in Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User\Profiles\"your ingame nick" and change the line
<Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec" value="0"/>
to value="-1"
Note: Everytime you adjust something in the options in the game this value is being reset to 0, so make sure it is -1 again after adjusting in game options.

I think this could be the reason why the user.cfg didn't work but i just cant find the file or folder.

Edited by LastWonderBolt, 19 July 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#6 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

You have a better system than me and suffer the same speed issues? Ouch. I'm happy with FPS rates at 15. I can comfortably play the game at that speed. That said, I use IOBit's "Advanced System Care" turbo boost. It often gives me 10-25% boosts in FPS when running which at my speed you know is critical. On rare occasions, I can crack 20fps if nothing much is going on or I am at very long range.

The program's free and more helpful than Razer's Game Booster.

Give it a shot and see what happens.

#7 Jorlanne

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRouen (France)

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

I have user.cfg activated but I cannot find the line with :<Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec" value="0"/> in my attributes.xml.
And user.cfg works.

How is it possible ? is the tuto wrong ?

Edited by Jorlanne, 19 July 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#8 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 19 July 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

You have a better system than me and suffer the same speed issues? Ouch. I'm happy with FPS rates at 15. I can comfortably play the game at that speed. That said, I use IOBit's "Advanced System Care" turbo boost. It often gives me 10-25% boosts in FPS when running which at my speed you know is critical. On rare occasions, I can crack 20fps if nothing much is going on or I am at very long range.

The program's free and more helpful than Razer's Game Booster.

Give it a shot and see what happens.

Yeh I cant stand playing on low FPS its just dosn't feel right, but if your alright with playing with 15-20 FPS that's crazy, I don't know how you can cope.

I tried the FPS Boost program but I still only get about 15-20 FPS. Thanks for the Idea though. I want to achieve at least 35-35 FPS and I know I can pull it off on this comp because I have done it in an earlier version of MWO I just don't know what happened after a few months of not playing.

Yeh from what Ive been reading in the forums the game dosn't read the user.cfg anymore but I don't know if this is true or not. That fix thread was posted back in 2012 so it could be outdated by now Im guessing.

But Ive been reading around the forums and Ive managed to learn about the other .cfg files. Inside the engine.pak located inside the engine folder of MWO there is a config folder. Ive opened a few files but i don't wanna go around modifying files not knowing what they do and what not. Maybe If there is someone who knows a thing or to about modifying the files here they can make a more usable .cfg files similer to the old user.cfg fix. This is all a really big guess so i don't know if it'll work or not Im just throwing the idea out there.

Edited by LastWonderBolt, 20 July 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#9 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

I imagine you have all MWO graphics settings to LOW.

Try changing DX versions, that wasn't there when you played before.

Clean your computer up if you havent in a while, like a C format or factory reset. Reinstall drivers. Run CPUID when you run the game to make sure your GPU is not overheating.

I hope you get it working, anything is better than having to buy new components.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Cion, 19 July 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#10 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostCion, on 19 July 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

I imagine you have all MWO graphics settings to LOW.

Try changing DX versions, that wasn't there when you played before.

Clean your computer up if you havent in a while, like a C format or factory reset. Reinstall drivers. Run CPUID when you run the game to make sure your GPU is not overheating.

I hope you get it working, anything is better than having to buy new components.

Edit: spelling

Yeh I've done most of the above, these are the first things I did actually before posting my problem on the forums. I Factory reset my comp and updated all my drivers to their latest versions and MWO is like literally the only game I have right now on my comp hahahah

I ran the CPUID and no my comp isn't overheating. I use an external fan to make sure that its cool. I do run my comp at High Performance and its still low FPS but i don't know if this is a mjor factor. Im running DX11 in game which is one of the changes ive noticed, if i choose DX9 my FPS drop even lower.

Edited by LastWonderBolt, 20 July 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Frequency 2200 MHz
Turbo frequency 3300 MHz (1 core)
3200 MHz (2 cores)
3000 MHz (3 or 4 cores)

Running App/program that provides real time update on CPU speed, usage and fan controls.

1. Disable Turbo Boost. Set to 99%, if no improvement set 97%-98%. On this, when turbo boost kicks in, it is to fewer and fewer cores, and those core temps increase which can cause the overall cpu speed to drop til the core has cooled down.
Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

2. Ensuring it is using the nvidia mobility card http://mwomercs.com/...graphics-cards/

3. Disabling Aero if using Vista/Win7.

4. Disabling services not needed, like File Indexing, MS Media Sharing, to name a few.

5. Use of MSI Afterburner will allow tuning of GPU speeds/Fan speeds.

6. Can of compressed air to clean out heatsinks.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 July 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#12 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Just an FYI re: FPS

With vsync on, irrespective of what you believe your GPU max FPS is you can only get as many FPS as your monitor has hertz

60Hz = 60 FPS, 120HZ = 120 FPS, etc

(No, if you are running two 60Hz monitors, you don't get 120 FPS.)

However, with vsync off, you really won't notice any difference at higher FPS except for more tearing.

I get between 45-60 FPS with my rig on very high and am happy with it. Once they optimize the build, I should see a steady >30 FPS without having to upgrade my system at all.

If you can get 30 FPS or higher on very high with your current rig, you don't really need to upgrade for some time. Get a TrackIR instead.

#13 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 29 July 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

With vsync on, irrespective of what you believe your GPU max FPS is you can only get as many FPS as your monitor has hertz

However, with vsync off, you really won't notice any difference at higher FPS except for more tearing.

I get between 45-60 FPS with my rig on very high and am happy with it. Once they optimize the build, I should see a steady >30 FPS without having to upgrade my system at all.

If you can get 30 FPS or higher on very high with your current rig, you don't really need to upgrade for some time. Get a TrackIR instead.

Problem is i dont get 60 FPS

So you say with my rig I should b able to get 30 or higher FPS, but how come when ever I play I only get about 15 or under.
I dont get it hahaha

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 29 July 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Sometimes i wonder if you actually read an OP before posting lol.

View PostLastWonderBolt, on 30 July 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Problem is i dont get 60 FPS

So you say with my rig I should b able to get 30 or higher FPS, but how come when ever I play I only get about 15 or under.
I dont get it hahaha

Sadly you will probably struggle to achieve 30FPS with your laptop, did the custom config file yield no improvement?

#15 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 30 July 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Sadly you will probably struggle to achieve 30FPS with your laptop, did the custom config file yield no improvement?

For some reason I cant get the custom config to work, I dunno if Im doing something wrong or the tutorial on the thread is out of date.

I know I wont be able to get 30 FPS from my comp but I want to achieve at least 20 Average. I know I can because I have before a few months back.

Edited by LastWonderBolt, 30 July 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostLastWonderBolt, on 30 July 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

For some reason I cant get the custom config to work, I dunno if Im doing something wrong or the tutorial on the thread is out of date.

I know I wont be able to get 30 FPS from my comp but I want to achieve at least 20 Average. I know I can because I have before a few months back.

Did you find the attributes file? because without editing that string the user.cfg wont work.

Main game folder, User folder, LastWonderBolt

There will be a file called attributes, just open it with notepad, CTRL F the string <Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec" value="0"/>

And change 0 to -1

This file has to exist in your MWO install

here's mine,
( Apprently we are not allowed to post images in any format here......)

http://imgur.com/BSmLdFt

Edited by DV McKenna, 31 July 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#17 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 30 July 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Sometimes i wonder if you actually read an OP before posting lol.

nope, I thought I'd just throw that in as odd info. Most guys don't know FPS at all. They see a number and want that. To be fair, I did start the post with "just an FYI re: FPS....."

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 01 August 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#18 LastWonderBolt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 31 July 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Did you find the attributes file? because without editing that string the user.cfg wont work.

Main game folder, User folder, LastWonderBolt

There will be a file called attributes, just open it with notepad, CTRL F the string <Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec" value="0"/> And change 0 to -1 This file has to exist in your MWO install here's mine, ( Apprently we are not allowed to post images in any format here......) http://imgur.com/BSmLdFt

Thanks heaps for this! I didn't know about the attributes file haha I used the user.cfg from SmokeyJedis post and it runs pretty smoothly. I jump between 20-30 FPS Which I'm really happy with. Every now and then i have FPS Drops but its very minimal and its only during really close fire fights.

For some reason my FPS during the start of a match is really high, like 60+ then give it a few seconds and it drops down to 20-30, which Im still ok with, Im just curious why this happens and does it happen to anyone else?

#19 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have basically the same issue, I found a likely source of the issue, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.
I have basically the same CPU and GPU as you do, but, the default graphics processor is the Intel Integrated Graphics, not my GPU. For some reason, switching to my second monitor makes my GPU the primary, so I'm able to get decent FPS just using my second monitor. You might check and see where your system is going for graphics, if it's integrated graphics, you should switch it to your GPU (Warning, this switch requires going into the BIOS settings, which is a bit too complex for me to feel safe doing on my own, I have a friend who can help me, but just haven't gotten around to it yet)

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostRotS Targe, on 23 August 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

I have basically the same issue, I found a likely source of the issue, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.
I have basically the same CPU and GPU as you do, but, the default graphics processor is the Intel Integrated Graphics, not my GPU. For some reason, switching to my second monitor makes my GPU the primary, so I'm able to get decent FPS just using my second monitor. You might check and see where your system is going for graphics, if it's integrated graphics, you should switch it to your GPU (Warning, this switch requires going into the BIOS settings, which is a bit too complex for me to feel safe doing on my own, I have a friend who can help me, but just haven't gotten around to it yet)

You just need to set your system to default to the GPU in nvidia settings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users