Add Melee To Some Mechs

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Mech Melee damage (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want some Mechs to be able to deal melee damage

1. Yes (66 votes [83.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.54%

2. No (13 votes [16.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I would like to see some Mechs with the capacity to inflict melee styled damage. Imagine a dragon being able to punch a rival mech, or even an Atlas. Have no idea what damage they should inflict however.

#2 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

I voted yes to melee, but not to "some" mechs. All mechs should be able to melee and knockdowns / significant collision damage needs to be back in the game too.

#3 bossclan

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIndiana United States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Yes and then we would have a use for those hand actuators !
The atlas and banshee would be the best fist brawlers around.

#4 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

My vote is yes, but with the proviso that a Mech with a Hand Actuator would not take damage (or at least, less damage) from dealing a punch, than a mech with a Gun Barrel poking out of it. OR, that a mech with a Hand Actuator does More Damage from a punch. That way, mechs with Hands can actually use them for something.

I would also LOVE proper Collision Damage. I would have to say no to Knockdowns though, because although I would really like to see them in game (they make sense), it would be far to easy to abuse them, and cause Stunlocks.

#5 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

Yes all the way!!!! :(

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Getting Melee shouldn't be too hard. The key is the animations fitting what damage could be done with the proper actuators.

So, I got to thinking about physical attacks from the original game, and wondered what those rules were, I looked up what I could about the rules for such attacks, and came up with this table:

Posted Image

I know this kind of work for the game is going to be on the back burner as far as current priorities go, but I thought, why not share ideas anyway?

What I figured is that any mech could Kick and Charge.

Death from Above (DFA) would be available to mechs with JJs.

Punching would be available with mechs that have Shoulders and the Upper and Lower Actuators. Equipping a melee weapon like a sword or hatchet and so on, would require a hand to hold the appropriate weapon, along with enough free tonnage and crit slots.

To implement, could set one Weapon listed in the Arm Group for attacks with the arms and if the mech can hold a weapon for those types of attacks. The rate of arm movement to strike and range would be limited by the model.

Kicks could be listed in the Torso Group. It can be setup that the mech must be stationary or will moving stop to kick towards the cross-hair direction. When in motion, if a kick is triggered it could then be a charge strike.

DFA could be executed by kicking in the air. Would require JJs to provide more horizontal speed.

Animating the strikes seem as if they can be pretty straight forward. Where punches could simply be like straight punches or upper cuts moving towards the cross-hair, kicks could simply be a low forward kick (like kicking a soccer ball), for example. And the rest don't need too much animation variety either, once they can apply damage.

The main question I have is, how fast can these attacks be? And the range on most of these will easily be within 20 M of the attacking mech on most of these, which is also why this area is low priority.

Collision damage will be an important element with physical attacks, since some strikes cause different amounts of damage to the attacker. Such as for every 2 damage dealt charging, 1 damage is dealt to the attacker, for example, or 1 damage for every 10 tons of the defending mech to the attacker.

Melee weapons should also have an amount of hitpoints as equipped items before being destroyed, could start with 20 to 50 and go from there after testing.

And knockdowns don't need to return, since that aspect seems to have too many more variables to tackle anyway, and really isn't necessary to bring back once, we are able to deal melee damage due to knockdown's potential stun-locking ability.

#7 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

View Postsneeking, on 20 July 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

wang with mace in left hand will rock your world....

that is all

Only until they introduce http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Berserker

#8 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

Yeah well. Proper melee would be the best, but we still dont even have proper heat and critical system. So with this devs, I dont see it any time soon or at all, unfurnatly. But good to recall it on the forum from time to time.

#9 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

The Yen Lo Wang is supposed to have spikes on its arm :)

#10 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Praetor Knight, thank you for putting up that chart, as that is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to see presented when I made this post.

#11 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

As cool as Melee would be, I believe Paul said that he isn't touching it for a long time (if ever)

#12 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Your poll is missing all mechs having melee. i would be ok with clan mechs not able to melee, zellbringen says melee is dishonorable.

Also the sarna entry for hunchback lists it as having "BATTLE FISTS"

im all for the hunchie being even more powerful up close. :D

#13 Shuruga

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

Would have really liked to see that you could try "Death From Above" once you run out of ammo and other options.
With the current Jump Jet implementation this will no longer be possible though.

Similarly, knocking over mechs would be fun, provided that it works on a good physics engine (based on mass).

Am I saying hatchetman here?

Shuruga

#14 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

they're supposed to do dmg equal to their tonnage divided by 10.

so the awesome would punch you for 8 damage, while the punch from an atlas would be like a ppc or an ac10.

i think! or was it 1/5th of the tonnage? so atlas punch would be like an ac20! and the awesome would punch at 16 dmg

i hope this happens not only for the sake of the atlas, awesome, dragon and centurion, but also so we can get the hatamoto chi with his katana, and the axeman with his big axe.

those NEED to be in the game. if you take away the katana then why would you put the hatamoto chi in the game?
and the axeman lol, his melee attack is in the NAME itself!

one thing is clear to me though, gun-arms shouldn't be able to punch at all. so no punch if your hand falls off your AWS 9m (the other arm is a ppc tube) - same for the centurion and dragon - the atlas could punch until both arms fall off

the stalker, catapult, jenner, raven... wouldn't be able to punch at all. that's how it should be IMO

#15 Shamoth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 19 July 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

I voted yes to melee, but not to "some" mechs. All mechs should be able to melee and knockdowns / significant collision damage needs to be back in the game too.

Well actually im missing for option to enable down view camera on MFD, where battle grid is, during jumpjeting, like in MW2, to perform effective/precise head/cockpit ram of enemy mech in situations when im out of ammo/weapons and only one leg and central torso with jumpjets left. Or to use jumpjets, while running at full speed, as a booster, +10% above max speed or smt like that, before impact when performing ram.

Edited by Shamoth, 24 July 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#16 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

A definite "No" to kicks and boxing and round-house kicks and any other martial art stuff. This is Mech Warrior, not Street Fighter.

A definite "Yes" to Hatchets/Swords/Axes for those mechs that are supposed to carry such weapons like
* Hatchetman
* Axman
* Black Knight

Unfortunately they don't seem to have enough variants post 3050 to be eligible in the near future for MW:O

#17 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Having a few Mechs that could go melee could serve as a test bed for Mechs such as the Hatchman. If those Mechs are ever to be viable, we have to start somewhere.

#18 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Should melee attacks have the potential to also cause damage from the mech using melee? It would seem melee was used as an improvised attack(punch, kick, DFA) that would damage the user also in some instances.

It would seem all mechs should have some improvised melee, but there should be a risk for damage unless the mech's structure was specifically designed for the purpose, or is designed with the intention for and is equipped with an appropriate melee weapon.

Also, many mechs in game have lumbering locomotion, it would seem such mechs would have a lumbering, drunk like kick or punch. Likely making them hard to use effectivly in melee except against each other, but then again, a charge from a lumbering Atlas or Awesome would be be as easy as justnbumping into smaller mechs and causing damage like in the old days. That's not to say a slow body blow punch from an Awesome, or upper cut from an Atlas shouldn't be devastating to a medium mech if it lands.

Edited by CocoaJin, 21 August 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#19 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Need I say more?

#20 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

I want to see the following added:

Melee (punch AND kick)
Collision
Knock Down
ability to fight while prone/knocked down
Death from Above

The whole nature of the game will change and end a lot of the Mech of Doody flavor we've got going on because no more perfect balance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users