Weapon Module For Tag (An Idea To Help With Role Warfare For Scouts/lights)

9 replies to this topic

#1 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

With the new module overhaul system coming I was thinking that they could use it to boost role warfare. The TAG while not a weapon system that damages anyone it still does take up an energy slot.

My idea is simple, allow a light or perhaps a medium to be able to TAG a target without the bright red homing beacon it creates to the person using it.

I do not pilot any ECM mechs or lights myself but had the idea strike me while following a tag to a would be spotter.

Edited by Varik Ronain, 20 July 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#2 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I see how it is, no love for the tag lol

#3 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

You would have to give to receive.
What would you give for your tag to not be visible, range? Heat?

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Let it mount anywhere without needing an Energy Slot (like BAP), then set a sensor on a mech to display an infrared beam, if necessary, and consider bringing back to the default range of 450m.

Then with weapon modules, the range can be modified from there, and also as quirks to different mechs.

Like the Spider 5V could have a quirk that adds range that can stack with a TAG module to allow a combined max of 750m on it; while sticking TAG on another mech would just recieve the benefit from the module boost.

#5 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Again, you're asking for a straight out buff to the system. This time a rather ludicrous one by giving a zero crit slot system and then again wanting to buff it by giving it a module bonus and a quirk.
Put a little.more thought into it next time.
You want more range... give it heat... or an additional crit slot. You want it totally invisible... reduce range...add a crit slot...give it heat. There, you get something for giving something.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostWabbit Swaya, on 29 July 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Again, you're asking for a straight out buff to the system. This time a rather ludicrous one by giving a zero crit slot system and then again wanting to buff it by giving it a module bonus and a quirk.
Put a little.more thought into it next time.
You want more range... give it heat... or an additional crit slot. You want it totally invisible... reduce range...add a crit slot...give it heat. There, you get something for giving something.

Let me detail the idea for you

TAG, one slot, one crit. Original long range 15 (x 30)= 450m
Spoiler

Unmodified, what I'd like to see for MWO is an Infrared beam that can be seen with Thermal and Night Vision, a fair trade-off IMHO.

Then modified, consider having changing visibility only for gameplay purposes, with extending range.

TAG Module - equip-able in a Module Slot (or possibly in a Weapon Slot, due to the numbers provided in the Patch Notes and Smurfy's)
(if only keeping two ranks)
Rank 1: +75m, beam visibility increased 25%
Rank 2: +150m, beam visibility increased 50%

Otherwise:
Rank 1: +30m, beam visibility increased 10%
Rank 2: +60m, beam visibility increased 20%
Rank 3: +90m, beam visibility increased 30%
Rank 4: +120m, beam visibility increased 40%
Rank 5: +150m, beam visibility increased 50%

From the Spider 5V (Note: only two weapon hardpoints in the CT, so to currently use TAG on the 5V, it needs to make a sacrifice to do so, it shouldn't need to).

SDR-5V TAG quirk: +150m, beam visibility increased 5%

So going with a max ranked module stacking with the variant quirk the new max range would be (450+150+150)= 750m and a 55% increased beam visibility.

Also, allowing TAG to be mountable like BAP without an Energy Hardpoint allows mechs to use it without making a sacrifice (all of the 2 or 1 energy mechs for example) and it allows mechs like the Oxide, Huginn, CPLT-A1 access to TAG, where they currently cannot mount TAG.

#7 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Your idea for an "unmodified" Tag isn't a fair trade off, though. It's all gains, no loss equipping it.
You idea for an "unmodified" Tag is buffed in three ways from the get-go without giving up anything for the trade.
1.Your idea can be put anywhere on the mech with a open crit slot.
2. It no longer requires an energy hardpoint.
3. Is invisible to anyone not gimping themselves in either heat vision or night vision. Of which the night vision would need further definition of what the game is using, so it could either not see it at all, or be absolutely blinded by it. Either case would be an additional buff to your "unmodified" idea

Most mechs have an "unassigned crit spot left" (unless it's a clan heavy or assault) so pretty much anyone could equip it only giving up a ton in weight and a crit slot. Though equipping it in leg of any mech would be absurd

I'm really not trying to come off as a *****, but I'm just presenting it to you the way PGI will process it.

Not to mention if the range is buffed, the LRMsquirms, will once again cry from the roof tops for another LRM-nerf.

Edited by Wabbit Swaya, 29 July 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

The max will still be 750m.

And slotting it like AMS or ECM works for me too.

#9 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I like the idea of slotting it like ecm and ams. The only thing is, do you give all chassis a tag slot?, only some?, the missile luggers?, all the lights, some of the mediums, a couple of the heavies, but no assaults? It'll have to be weighed out like that.
Just as not all mechs can equip ecm, ams, or even dual or triple ams. Not all should have it.

See, we're being considerate and bringing up good points... don't tell anyone, they might have us committed.

#10 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

We would not be asking for tag to be modified if the MWO implementation of ECM was not so broken.

But I also do like the idea of a slot based system like AMS and ECM.

But to get back on the main point there is already a precedence for buffing a system with no ill side effects such as the enhanced NARC. it makes it go 100 m/s faster and increased the duration by 20%

Side point, everyone can equip radar derp as well (and should) and break a lock instantly even moments after being tagged , so yea... I do not see a HUGE issue with using a weapon module to make the tag invisible.

As it stands now 1.5 tons can trump many many times more tonnage of equipment, with the meta being PPFLD why on earth would a light mech paint a target only to be legged or one shotted by a cheese whale for trying to assist a teammate? To make matters worse is when you combine the ECM with the PPFLD making spotting very difficult with very little or no reward tot he poor sob who has to try and spot.

Edited by Varik Ronain, 29 July 2014 - 04:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users