Good Wireless Gaming Mouse For Under $60.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'm looking for advice on a good gaming mouse for under $60. It needs to be wireless due to a cat that occasionally goes on a wire spree (though if it's super cheap, I might try a wired mouse).

I tried a cheap E-Blue one (the Mazer II), but it wouldn't register all the buttons at the same time.

Now I'm pondering the Logitech G602, but I'm curious what other folks around here use and recommend.

#2 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

The logitech G700 can be had for around $60 online, We have two of them...a very good gaming mouse.

http://www.logitech....?osid=14&bit=64

#3 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Any other thoughts?

I can't find a new G700 for that low, and the charging cable is still an issue. Batteries are a better option for me.

#4 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Personal recommendation smack in the middle of your price range: Logitech G400s, the reliable successor to the MX518. 4 (IIRC programmable, just never felt the need to do so) buttons, wheel button, and DPI settings on the fly.

And YES, it is not wireless, despite the cat. Please allow me to quickly explain why. And remember, yiou can always either duct tape the USB cable to (or run it under) the floor. My PCs USB ports are all hidden under the floorboard, about a foot and a half away from my left arm , which is resting comfortably on the sofa as I type this. :)

After losing the ESL Finals in Q3A (had to swap mouse batteries mid-match) and CS (unrelated person at the same LAN-event just happened to have the exact same frequency as my mouse) over 10 years ago, in no small part due to wireless mice, I literally threw everything that wasn`t connected to my PC by cable off a 250 foot cliff the next day.

So, I`m a proponent of "buy a 5 yard USB Extension cord for 5 bucks or a 10 yard one for 8 and choose whichever mouse you want", As ever since that day I`ve felt that "good "and "Wireless" are mutially exclusive criteria when applied to PC peripherals.... Especially in the 60$ price range, where IMO decent gaming mice just start to get interesting WITH cables, never mind the double price upcharge for being wireless. ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 23 July 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#5 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

For gaming I'd always go wired.

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yes, but when my cat chews the mouse wire and it becomes a paperweight, it ceases to be a good mouse. (She did it with another work mouse today, bringing the total in the last 2 months to 5 mice, 4 headsets, and a keyboard).

Sorry, but I need wireless. I've also read about the newer wireless mice have overcome many of the earlier wireless difficulties.

#7 KumoriMyou

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

the best solution is obvious
train your cat to not be a jerk
water in the cats face usually solves this

Edited by KumoriMyou, 23 July 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostKumoriMyou, on 23 July 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

the best solution is obvious
train your cat to not be a jerk
water in the cats face usually solves this

Untill I'm confident that's done (and yes, I have been working on it, we think it's also a phase, she's young), I still don't want to risk it.

Also, it's for a laptop, so the wireless aspect gives me some added flexability. I'll eventually get a wired gaming mouse as well, but for now, I want something wireless. (Currently I'm down to my MX Lazer Bluetooth mouse and a wireless trackball I got from a friend. Tackball is a no go in MWO, and the BT mouse is heavy and the side buttons aren't very convenient (can't hit button 4 and 5 at the same time because of how it's built).

And I do appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks :)

Edited by Bront, 23 July 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#9 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Just another idea: If the issue is the cat chewing through the cable, pick up some of that showser hose "armor" in a smaller diameter and slip it over the mouse cable.

It`s relatively cheap stuff, and she`ll learn really quick what the difference is between "Metal, hard, do not bite" and "cable, soft, delicious" :)

OR: Get a real mouse..... this may require a change in your sanitation habits, though ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 23 July 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Well, the cat loves the mouse... ;)
It's your fault if you play useless games then there is a cat around who want's to play... :)

My old cat was against newspaper reading. Her opinion was what it was a waste of time, time that can be better spend with petting the cat. So every time I put an open newspaper on the table, she took it as inventation to lay down on it and starting to purr.

#11 KumoriMyou

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

http://www.cyborggam...m/prod/rat9.htm

could go for a wireless one like this just wrap up the cord in a bundle
or head over to DX.com, lots of good stuff there

Edited by KumoriMyou, 24 July 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#12 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostKumoriMyou, on 24 July 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

http://www.cyborggam...m/prod/rat9.htm

could go for a wireless one like this just wrap up the cord in a bundle
or head over to DX.com, lots of good stuff there

Sadly, it's over twice my budget.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Make the cord distasteful. Spray or wipe down cords with something distasteful to the cat. There are commercial product solutions and homemade solutions. If making your own, consider using such things as hot sauce; lavender oil; a homemade citrus or vinegar paste; garlic, cayenne pepper, or chili oil or paste, etc. Some people use a light coating of sports ointments (the really strong menthol sort), styptic pencil, or deodorant . Be sure to let the applied substance dry completely before replugging the cord into the wall and you'll need to reapply homemade fixes periodically. Avoid using anything salty because cats love licking salt.

Cover cords with something solid that deters chewing. Commercial products include "Chewsafe™" and "CritterCord™", which are clear, flexible protective cord covers infused with a citrus-scent to keep the cat away from the cord. These are easy to add and don't require topical re-applications.

Cover cords with tin-foil tape. This can be purchased from the hardware store and is easy to wrap around the cords. Cats dislike the alkaline taste in their mouth and will refrain from chewing anything coated in the tape. A note of caution though, as some cats like the tin-foil to chew on because it makes a similar crunchy sound as the foil scrunchy boils found in pet stores.

Posted Image

[color=#3B352A]Finally getting around to this review! As you all know, I have one master chewer cat, bunduk who will eat thru any wire and is [/color]not[color=#3B352A] deterred by bitter apple/ bitter yuck.[/color]

[color=#3B352A]On recomendation of rainbow ([/color]Posted Image[color=#3B352A]) I bought chewsafe from [/color]http://www.cableties...ca/Chewsafe.php[color=#3B352A]. Before I bought those I also bought crittercord from[/color]http://www.crittercord.com/[color=#3B352A]. Essentially they are the same product - clear plastic tubing infused with a bitter taste to prevent chewing. It is quite thick too, so even if your pet is not deterred by taste I'm pretty sure they won't chew through it. Chewsafe is canadian while critterord is an american product.[/color]

[color=#3B352A]They both work wonderfully and any wire properly covered with crittercord/chewsafe has not been chewed through. It is also quite asthetically pleasing. I would have to reccomend chewsafe over crittercord though for a few reasons:[/color]

[color=#3B352A]A) Chewsafe comes in much bigger rolls. This means long wires can be done continuously with no gaps - believe me if you have a power chewer u do not want those. Bunduk found one and ate right thru [/color]Posted Image

[color=#3B352A]:P The tubing is a little thinner and thus more malleable and thus easier to use/bend in places. [/color]

[color=#3B352A]C) The infused smell is not so toxic. When you open the shipping package of either product it will assault your senses. Kind of gives you a headache but the crittercord even more so. Especially in small rooms with lots of wires (like my computer room) it can be just too much at first. Though the smell eventually fades, I felt the cittercord was just overkill.[/color]

[color=#3B352A]So there u have it [/color]Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image[color=#3B352A] paws for the product concept overall but chewsafe getting 5[/color]Posted Image[color=#3B352A]'s for performance while crittercord gets 4[/color]Posted Image[color=#3B352A].[/color]

[color=#3B352A]Editted to add this picture, showing crittercord on a phone wire. I also forgot to mention that the tubing has a slit in it so that you can put the wires through. Also, you can fit about 3 thin wires in the same tube comfortably. [/color]Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 July 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Snagged the G602 , and I'll review it later for MWO. Also snagged another wireless mouse that looks like it's a gamer mouse, but I'm only looking to use it for general purpose, but it was hard to pass up the $14.99 price. Should arrive in a day or two.

#15 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

On a side note, the G700 is the deal of the day at Amazon for 50% off today.

#16 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

I got this mouse at Wal-Mart for about $14. You might be able to find it there or your equivilent store.

http://www.ebay.com/...gear-head-mouse

It has three sensitivity settings, one exceeding what I can use, and two extra buttons for the thumb. Thanks to it, I can comfortably manage four weapons groups, which is about all I ever need in the game. I was also motivated to get it since it was small. For some reason I don't handle full size mouse anymore.

#17 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, seen those at Walmart, but not sure I trust them. That's the kind of wireless mouse that has gotten the bad gaming reputation that most folks in this thread have mentioned. Beyond that, they're small (my hands are huge). My G602 and the PERIMICE-714 (which I got for non-gaming purposes it may double for a gaming mouse) are waiting for me at home. I'll give feedback on both of them.

#18 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Logitech m705 is a good throw away mouse. I rebuilt my left button three times over a year and a half(do to triple clicking and random un-clicking). After the last rebuild I opted to go Razer Taipan, but thats wired so(also its four side buttons only act as two as the sides mirror one another)...

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

Liking the G602 so far. Want a little more time to play with it though.

The other mouse has the same problem I've experienced with cheap wireless gaming mice, button press limitations. Other than that, it seems ok, though not quite as responsive (Even when the G602 is on endurance mode and drops the polling to 125 Hz)

#20 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

I've been using a G602 for a few months now and I really like it. The batteries last a good while and I've never had any other issues with the mouse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users