Any Reliable Boar's Head Build?

13 replies to this topic

#1 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

Hello fellow mechwarriors

I'm seeking an advice how to build potent AS7-Boar's Head.
I designed such one Atlas BOAR'S HEAD,but it preforms below expectations.

#2 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

The Atlas is most effective when used in a coordinated team to push into the enemy force. Charging ahead into the enemy by yourself will always lead to defeat. Trying to snipe or poke at long range isn't optimal either with an atlas. Generally an Atlas is supposed to soak up damage and deal as much out possible when closing distance. I think the 325std is too slow of an engine, you want a 340std at minimum. Here is a Boar's head build that would be great for leading a charge but don't expect to go pug stomping with it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c53506a4e453fe

Edited by pwnface, 21 July 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#3 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

I use a standard 360 engine, endosteel, six medium lasers, Ac20 w/3 tons ammo, and an lrm 10. Works well enough.

#4 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Thanks pwnface,your one looks promising.

#5 Cptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

G'day,

I've found that the Boars Head is a rather problematic build. Equiped with six energy hardpoints in the arms and single points for both balistics and missiles in the torso, it kind of steers you towards builds focussing upon lasers. However, using all six arm mounts with medium pulses or any combination involving large lasers, tends to overheat the mech. Obviously, the XL 400 engine has to go. The big Atlas draws fire from all over the battlefield and engine hits on an XL engine in the side torso will often occur. After much experimentation, the build I've settled upon is this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7fa5227f5668e5

It is a build like the one mentioned by Precentor. However, I use a standard 350 engine as an optimum balance between speed and ordinance carried. Like pwnface mentioned, you have to work as team with other mechs and I think that this is the key to the sucessful use of the Boars Head. What I tend to do, is initially stay back a little and fire off the LRM15 's for the first few minutes of the action. Yeah, I know the launcher fires off 10 then 5, but it still seems to work for me. This is your long range work for your Atlas. Watch carefully on the radar and note when the battle enters into a short range melee encounter, This is when you close to use the AC 20 and six medium laser combination to good effect.

Things don't always work out this way, but generally, your LRM's are all used up and you only need to concentrate upon the heat from the AC20 and medium lasers. Another thing that I've found is to make sure that you have seperate weapon groups for the medium lasers, the AC20 and the LRM's. Helps control heat as you can switch the mediums to chain and best determine when it's okay to let fly with a AC20 round. Engine hit to the centre torso is what'll eventually kill you. For this, I have the frontal armour of the centre torso pretty high and try to ensure that my foes don't get behind me (which is easier said than done). All said though, the DC Atlas is the best of the bunch with its ECM.

Anyway, goodluck. Its a long process in trying to get the Boars Head right for your particular play style. However, it does seem to me that some of the clan mechs are now starting to take away the focus of killing the Atlas first.

Regards,
Draughluin

Edited by Draughluin, 24 July 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#6 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

This is an assault hero 'mech, you want to make money with it. That's why you ALWAYS want to have an LRM 10 to at least "touch" an enemy out of sight that is getting killed by your teammates to get xp and money for an assist. It needs only a ton for 18 shots, but this could get you another 65.000 credits.
I kept most of the stock, only 1 less ton ammo LRM and I changed to double heat sinks. Could even add a Command Console.

#7 Charlie Brumfield

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

400XL (the boar's head SHOULD rock it's party trick after all) then fit 6xLLas. Stuff in as many double heat sinks as you can fit and then go turn red teams armor in to molten slag.

#8 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I've had fun and success with a 2Lpl 4 medl and 1 ac 10 alpha mech. Alpha two or three times depending on the map and you'll kill almost anything. Xl 400 and lrm 5 for the things mentioned by other guys.
The build is not perfected but I enjoy it, it's different than anything I have.

Wait till the battle gets close ish. Unleash 1-2 alphas, cool down while repositioning. Rinse and repeat. It's just fun when you get the hang of it.

I'm thinking dropping the xl for a smaller std when I get my x2 basics to increase survivability. :D

#9 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

I don't own a Bore's Head, but if I did I'd probably run it near stock. Swap the MPLs for MLs and the 400xl for a 375std call it good.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db70f129bd04c74

#10 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I've used

This

and

This

#11 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Best I could come up with is AC20, 2 PPC and 4 ML. If you can run hot builds, the 60 pt alpha wrecks face. Also with the latest PPC speed change, PPCs and AC20 are pretty much in sync again for a reliable 40 pts of damage to one component.

#12 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Standard build is pretty much dead on problem is initially your working on getting skills up so it doesn't seem as effective as it should be and people dump it right away. The Pulses really add alot of heat if not careful. But all in all its a good solid mix LRM so you can do something while slowly getting into position, Lasers and AC10 for close in.

Tried a bunch of config's but so far pretty much keep to this core setup with minor changes such as swap MPL to ML or AC10 to AC20. Tried Gauss but never felt right and that dang gun always seems to blow up and gut me.

AC10 or AC20 well up to personal preference I prefer 10 with faster cooldown and getting 15 shots per ton of ammo or 7.5 shots vs AC20

ML vs MPL I go back and forth on faster fire and more damage vs 1/2 weight and less heat. Probably better with ML least until mastered and skills 2x but every time I wanna swap the MPL out I go out and jsut core mech after mech with them its weird. Love to know the hidden states for ML and MPL.

Initially recommend
MPL to ML
LRM10 to Artemis LRM10
Add BAP
Add some more ammo to LRM and AC10

Start of battle keep range with LRM's stick to group, beware Lights especially with NARC. Keep near cover, let a few mechs die get damage spread out over enemy. Once chewed up a bit wander in with your mostly untouched Atlas with some support and squash the roaches.

#13 StrakAttack

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

I use this and really enjoy it. The ER LLs let me tag from afar and harass mechs as I close. The 360 STD gets 65 KPH with speed tweak, so not super speedy but enough speed to move around the map. The LB-10X is good for attacking lights and it has the spread so I can fire on the move. And when I get close, just doing one side (1 ER LL, 2 ML) after the other tends to dish a lot of damage.

BOAR'S HEAD

Edited by StrakAttack, 25 August 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#14 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

You obviously don't want to run an XL since the Atlas is a powerful Mech on the battlefield even with 3/4 of its weapons missing, and the Boar's head completely lacks any advantage with other Atlas builds if you don't run a larger engine. I've tried lots of different builds with engines ranging from a 350 (the minimum imo) upward, usually with an AC20 and 4 medium lasers as base weapons. The greatest success I've had is with 6 medium lasers, AC20, and an LRM10/15 or SRM6 in the missile slot with a standard 350 engine, max armour and everything else as double heat sinks. The LRM is kind of important since not only can you tag targets for extra cash, it also causes people to freak out a little and head for cover - the Atlas is all about advancing the battle line so that's a win-win situation right there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users