Mechlab Staff As Indication Of Mech Size

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Mechlab staff (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you would like to see some staff in the hangar??

1. Yes (26 votes [96.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.30%

2. No (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

I don't know if this was already proposed, but I would like to see some staff like technicans, engineers and soldiers working, chatting and do repairs on the mechs standing in the hangar.

Currently, I find the hangar is very sterile, and it don't realy give an idea how large these battlemechs realy are.

Some simple animated ground staff - maybe even including the pilot - would give the hangar some life. In addition, the staff give a very good indication how large and brutal these machines of war in fact are.

Edited by xe N on, 21 July 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

^what this guy said.

#3 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Have a little guy waving a pair of light-sticks to indicate if the Mech needs to be saved or not. Green for "good to go" and red for "there's still wires hanging out and you forgot the engine...again".

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

I think they could just use the pilot model for reference.

#5 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

Since this is a public vote, and i'm still the only one to select 'No' i feel obliged to explain myself.

Do i think this is a bad idea? No, certainly not. Actually i agree, that it would be quite nice. The thing is: There are many other things that i consider more important than this at the moment, so i voted 'No' for now.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 23 July 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#6 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 23 July 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

Since this is a public vote, and i'm still the only one to select 'No' i feel obliged to explain myself.

Do i think this is a bad idea? No, certainly not. Actually i agree, that it would be quite nice. The thing is: There are many other things that i consider more important than this at the moment, so i voted 'No' for now.

Of course, you are right. However, I think currently MWO mainly needs coder skills to improve, the animated staff in the hanger would be the work of designers/artists.

#7 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

View Postxe N on, on 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Of course, you are right. However, I think currently MWO mainly needs coder skills to improve, the animated staff in the hanger would be the work of designers/artists.

While that is true for many feature suggestions, we really really ... really need a new map, and that will come from the same department i suppose. And who knows how much graphical stuff they will add for CW.

#8 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostHoffenstein, on 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

Have a little guy waving a pair of light-sticks to indicate if the Mech needs to be saved or not. Green for "good to go" and red for "there's still wires hanging out and you forgot the engine...again".

Not MY fault the tech forgot to load the ammo..... :)

#9 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Putting people into the hangar would make the horrible scaling of mechs even more apparent.

#10 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Greetings all,

Yes, this has been brought up quite a few time before.

- This Mech bay is designed to represent the inside of a DropShip.
- There should be a flurry of activity happening around the Mech's, from repairs, loading, to Tech's checking systems.

Even some random Pilots or Tech's walking along the gantry or behind the Mech, just for scale.
- This would require quite a few elements to be addressed, from art to separating the background so these functions could happen while the owner is configuring there Mech. It's all eye candy, and does not need to be worked on 'right now', but at least place it in the 'to do list'.
- We also need some Faction specific items plastered all around the Mech Bay, matched to what the player has selected as there Faction. If you chose Clans the Bay should be changed to look like it's on a Clan Dropship with appropriate artwork and Clan Faction markings.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 23 July 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#11 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Totally agree, but check this out. The current mechbay is the ground based mech bay and they could add an entirely new mech bay aboard a dropship, used for, you guessed it, dropping. But heres the good part, a standard Gazel class dropship could take say 4 mechs, but it could be possible to get a larger dropship to have more mechs to choose from for a drop. This might require many different mech bay lay outs and visuals. Better start saving the creds for that Overlord class dropship now :D

#12 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostCest7, on 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Putting people into the hangar would make the horrible scaling of mechs even more apparent.

Though I think not all mechs resemble the original size from BT, the overall scale is correct.

Many people think that mechs are oversized, but in fact they aren't. People compare the size of BT battlemechs with the size of "robots" from other games, animations or movies like transformers.

However, mechs in BT are more like this:
Posted Image
Even a light mech as the commando is quite large and would be already larger then e.g. a Titan in Titanfall or around the same size as Optimus Prime.

#13 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

View Postxe N on, on 24 July 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Though I think not all mechs resemble the original size from BT, the overall scale is correct.

Many people think that mechs are oversized, but in fact they aren't. People compare the size of BT battlemechs with the size of "robots" from other games, animations or movies like transformers.

However, mechs in BT are more like this:
-snipped copy/pasted pic-
Even a light mech as the commando is quite large and would be already larger then e.g. a Titan in Titanfall or around the same size as Optimus Prime.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users