Those Darn Clan Mechs..

20 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderfrog

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Anyone know how much a Nova will run in Cbills? =)

I've saved up about 15mil. Think its enough for the prime?

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

no

#3 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Id save for something else. Nothing but bad perception I have been told. Kit fox, great support, from what I have heard and seen. I personally am gonna pass on the nova.

edit: that said if a support role is not your bag, try it. I bet when the stormcrow comes out you will rue the purchase.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 21 July 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#4 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

You can make a rough estimate using the Kit Fox calculations.

A TimberWolf should be around 14 Mil, plus or minus a few mil.

Nova might actually be shafted since, while the XL engines are cheaper than TT, the weapons cost more.

The Prime comes with 12 ERMLs, TT that's 80k per laser. In MWO, it's 160k per laser.

I could try adding the stuff up later.

#5 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

So 3 TWs will be about 42 million, so 3 Novas will probably run close to 30. That'll be about 10 million/variant.

So 14 will get you the first one, if all you want is basics :)

Get grinding! I recommend an LBX or LRM build. Lots of damage, lots of component destruction.

#6 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Well, I did the math, which will be slightly off due to not having hard numbers for chassis cost, or proper armor cost...but it's not looking too expensive. There isn't any Endo or Ferro (and I think I forgot to add endo into my TimberWolf cost, which should be another 750 000) which really cuts costs.

The thing that really makes it expensive is the weapons. They are double TT costs, so 160 000 instead of 80 000 per ERML, and there are 12 of those

Here's the breakdown:

965 862 for the 50 ton chassis (I made this directly proportional to the Kit Foxes 30 tons, so it's likely wrong, but gives us an idea, at any rate.)

4 083 333 For the XL250

96 000 For the 18 DHS

1 920 000 For the 12 ERMLs

380 000 For the 5 hardwired JJs

25 000 For 10 tons of standard armour

1 835 720 For the 8 omnipods, 229 465 each

The total brings us to :

9 305 915 Cbills, so around 10 million for a fully equipped Nova Prime, with hardwired JJs and 12 overpriced weapons.

Numbers aren't all proper, so you can expect it to be a bit more expensive, but this should be a safe enough estimate, within a few million Cbills.

#7 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

Huh so...

about 10 mill per variant :)

#8 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostThunderfrog, on 21 July 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Anyone know how much a Nova will run in Cbills? =)

I've saved up about 15mil. Think its enough for the prime?

Ignore the Nova and purchase the DoomCrow. You won't regret it for a second.

#9 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

He's right. The Stormcrow is flat out proof that mediums don't need JJs to wreck face and crush dreams.

The Nova.... it's a good idea but it's got Too Much of a Good Thing. You need exceptional trigger discipline to make all those lasers work for you and not against you and end of the day....

Crows a better killer.

#10 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

nova is bullocks

#11 Sancho Kabrinski

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIn a Ghost Bear Clan dropship

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Also I am not sure if the prime variant will be for purchase.

#12 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 21 July 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

9 305 915 Cbills, so around 10 million for a fully equipped Nova Prime, with hardwired JJs and 12 overpriced weapons.

So I originally was tempted to get the stormcrow in the solo $55 pack but dam am I happy now that I decided to wait for the cbill stormcrow if I even decide to buy it at that point and to just upgrade my kitfox pack to the summoner for just $5 more than the stormcrow pack and basically get the nova for free.

See this is the thing everyone will eventually be filling the forums with "CLAN MECHS FOR CBILLS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE" instead of the usual "LRM OP" threads...

#13 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Thanks Mcgral for the breakdown. I recently asked Niko about chassis pricing. He told me that there's no rule of thumb to determine the price of a chassis. I would make a guess that those 10 million C-Bills +/- a million are in a good spot tho.

To be fair, the Nova isn't that bad. It's one of those chassis that really changes your experience as you unlock efficiencies. The Prime is incredibly hot if you want all slots filled. You cannot alpha strike... ever... Remember tho, that you don't have to fill all hardpoints. The Prime makes it a little easier on the trigger, due to the weapon cooldown quirk on both arms (5% longer cooldown for every Prime arm). I had hilarious games in my Nova B (which was the hardest to basic and the easiest to elite). The Nova is a nice peakshooter.

The Nova is the perfect assassin. Get anything from behind and it's dead.

Two things you shouldn't do in a Nova. 1) Don't try to crest hills (gorilla arms), peak around edges. 2) Try not to get into situations that force you to fight uphill (you have a terrible weapon clearance), so try to get to equal or higher level positions.

View PostSancho Kabrinski, on 22 July 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

Also I am not sure if the prime variant will be for purchase.

Of course it will. It won't have the (I) Invasion tag, special camo and C-Bill bonus tho.

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 22 July 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

So I originally was tempted to get the stormcrow in the solo $55 pack but dam am I happy now that I decided to wait for the cbill stormcrow if I even decide to buy it at that point and to just upgrade my kitfox pack to the summoner for just $5 more than the stormcrow pack and basically get the nova for free. See this is the thing everyone will eventually be filling the forums with "CLAN MECHS FOR CBILLS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE" instead of the usual "LRM OP" threads...

Heh. The Stormcrow will be even more expensive due to Endo-Steel (550,000 C-Bills), Ferro-Fibrous (275,000 C-Bills) and XL330 (5.3 million C-Bills) and higher chassis price (55t). Weapons are little less tho (1,280,000 C-Bills).

#14 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

Kitfox, Stormcrow, Timberwolf, Dire Wolf

Those 4 would be first on my list.... I bought the package though so I needn't worry. But after playing them, those are the best options thus far...

#15 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Abandon your Nova dreams and aim five tons higher. The Stormcrow is flat out fantastic and so versatile that I don't bother buying OmniPods to duplicate a 'preferred' build for all three variants, as some people might have done with their Clan Mechs. I run near stock on my Prime, and have found two terrific builds for the other two that utilize their assigned weapon slots. It is rather refreshing to mix it up game to game from energy boat, missile boat and ballistic + energy.

#16 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

Prior to the JJ nerf I was kind of looking forward to the Nova, However with JJ performance being so lackluster now, I am not so sure about it.

Also I have to agree about the Stormcrow. Its biggest disadvantage is that it doesn't have JJs but with PGI crippling JJ use, that disadvantage is much smaller making the Stormcrow (or any other non-jumping medium) much more appealing than they used to be. Keep in mind, that without JJs you can devote 3-5 more tons to weapons, DHS and other equipment and this is a really big deal on a 50-55 ton mech.

#17 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 22 July 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Prior to the JJ nerf I was kind of looking forward to the Nova, However with JJ performance being so lackluster now, I am not so sure about it.

Also I have to agree about the Stormcrow. Its biggest disadvantage is that it doesn't have JJs but with PGI crippling JJ use, that disadvantage is much smaller making the Stormcrow (or any other non-jumping medium) much more appealing than they used to be. Keep in mind, that without JJs you can devote 3-5 more tons to weapons, DHS and other equipment and this is a really big deal on a 50-55 ton mech.

The big Nova drawback for me is it's arms - they're too low slung to be able to peek and shoot, and exposing too much of your profile in a medium is ludicrously dangerous. This means that you almost have to use your jets to be able to fire properly, which wouldn't be a problem if the burn times on clan lasers weren't so long. You have to be right on your game to use lasers while poptarting.

You can use an ERPPC if you want, but you just don't have the tonnage to carry that and a couple of backup MLAS and run anywhere near efficiently. I do like the 12SLAS 4MG brawler, but that's a little too situational for my tastes.

If you play it like a more fragile Jenner though, sneaking to a flank, dumping some Joules and running, you can do well.

Everything about the Nova requires discipline. If you have it, you can do well.

The Crow, however... is just great. Fantastic agility, amazing and versatile payload (it can carry 7 ERMLAS, cool them far better than the Nova, and they have much better hardpoint locations) as well as ballistics(1) and missiles. And the lack of jets? I'm not bothered. With a full head of steam you can even get around canyon fine, it climbs hills that well.

The Crow takes me back to closed beta where the Hunchback 4SP was something to be feared.

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Man I cant stanfd my nova. Its slow for a medium mech
So you cannt dance around the assaults, due to this they kill you fast. It overheats with to many lasers and if you use less you might as well use a tember or even lame summoner.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 22 July 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#19 Thunderfrog

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Aww man.

Bummer news. I really like my Hbk-4P and just assumed that the Nova was the same mech on steroids.

No JJ's isn't a deal-killer for me. My favorite mech is probably still the Cicada 3M (LBX10 and 2 Mlas), and Cicada X5. (4 Mlas and 100 SRM4 shots)

#20 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostThunderfrog, on 22 July 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Aww man.

Bummer news. I really like my Hbk-4P and just assumed that the Nova was the same mech on steroids.

No JJ's isn't a deal-killer for me. My favorite mech is probably still the Cicada 3M (LBX10 and 2 Mlas), and Cicada X5. (4 Mlas and 100 SRM4 shots)

Maybe prior to the nerf(s) :).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users