Another Mech Game..

93 replies to this topic

#41 Violator

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

It doesn't look all that bad for a PRE ALPHA stage. Animations, textures, modeling is what it needs. And a first person cockpit view ofc. I'll be checking it out.

BUT...if it stays like this, i'd rather play Living Legends...

#42 Jiang Wei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

The is being released today early access alpha for $15 with a promise of never having to pay for future DLC if u buy in now. After full release u would have to pay for any further DLC. Its a damn good deal. Im buying it today.

Ive watched the gameplay vids that are available, and even though its not battletech based alot of the mechs look similar to BT mechs. They have weather effects, destructible terrain and bases, destructible repair bays, a campaign, ai bots, dedicated servers, and you can host your own servers as well. Not sure how big the maps are, but since they look mech4 ish ill wager they are just as big and probably dont cost $250,000 to make per.

Im excited to get the game and play it. I will be streaming it so if anyone wants to watch as see how it looks u are welcome to. Ill post a stream link once I am playing.

Im surprised a little that this topic hasnt been locked and/or moved yet....

Edited by Jiang Wei, 22 July 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#43 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

and MWO took too long to do anything and the competitions sweeps it aside. totally undercutting and delivering something so simmillar.

reggretting grab deal and maintanance mode balancing instead of CW like you said so many times.

well played PGI well played.

View Postice trey, on 22 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

Good, I'm glad.

Hopefully with another F2P game that caters to a similar market as MWO, it will give PGI a little competition, forcing them to either put up or shut up.

Honestly, 3 days and they had bots to play against? That's fantastic, unlike PGI's "Waah Waah Programming AI is hard to do so we'll never make a single player campaign"

That sure as hell didn't stop anyone in 1990, 1995, 1999, or 2001, and we're paying gobs more than what people paid then, so why the hell is programming AI somehow so difficult now?

CW is not even something I really wanted. I wanted a single player game. CW is just "At least it's not just going to be a generic Kill everything and get the most points on the leaderboard multiplayer game".
But here we are two years later, and all PGI ever does is balance tweaks and matchmaker tinkering, I'd sooner have five people disconnect every match and get pitted against nothing but DDCs, if it meant we'd gotten Community warfare when we were supposed to.

i bet it doesn't take em 2 years to do turret AI

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 22 July 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

One's a up front paid game. MWO's a F2P. No contest, really. Up front wins every time in my book, and nearly every problem with MWO can be traced to it being a F2P game.

lol just lol a whole game for the price of a few MWO camos. seriously you pay the inital entry and the rest is free.

enjoy your overpriced loyalty points whilst i get myself a marauder/behemoth

Posted Image

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 22 July 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#44 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Looks like a cashgrab.

#45 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

View Postice trey, on 22 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

Honestly, 3 days and they had bots to play against? That's fantastic, unlike PGI's "Waah Waah Programming AI is hard to do so we'll never make a single player campaign"

That sure as hell didn't stop anyone in 1990, 1995, 1999, or 2001, and we're paying gobs more than what people paid then, so why the hell is programming AI somehow so difficult now?

This is kinda amusing. The creation of AI opponents is probably relatively trivial. The creation of good AI opponents? Something quite different. The AI in 1990, 95, 99 or 01? It was all quite terrible. Go back and play one of those games and tell me that you're even slightly challenged, by the AI. Not the clunky interface or low-res graphics getting in the way of your playing it. Oh right...

If you look at MWO and the level of things an AI would have to take in to account (terrain vs mechtype, arm-movement, torso movement, weapon types and heat management, jumpjets, cover, size of the mech, position of weapons on the mech) to not just be an absolute pushover, even if we include the ability of AI to see you through things and aim perfectly, we're looking at a rather heavy problem.

Haven't you considered that we, in games, in the past 20 years, have seen almost no evolution of AI? If there's a case of challenging AI, it's usualy because we're looking at something that is heavily scripted or stacks the odds against you in the extreme, but without being too unfair.

So, yes, building a very rudimentary AI routine, have some mechs run around that don't suffer from various limitations that players do, would probably be very doable. But it'd not be a quality product. So, let's have a look at this other game and see how it stacks up in the PVE area.. if Mechwarrior is to have a singleplayer game in the future, we're looking at something where there'd need to be a ton of scripting and staged encounters to make it interesting and challenging. It'd be much cheaper and more efficient than trying to program an AI that would be able to take into consideration all the things that are "easy" for a person to do.

But, let's see what these guys have with their 3 day AI. It might be super impressive, but I somehow doubt it very much.

#46 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostPOWR, on 22 July 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

AI argument

Not as if MW:O was heavily CPU-bound and driven, making for a no-no situation for any kind of non-laughable AI that would require additional computation power...

#47 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

At least they've got decals...

#48 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

The maps look pretty decent. Larger with more space than the MWO ones.

#49 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

Real MWO killer right here...

Posted Image

#50 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

It's not Battletech/Mechwarrior so I have no interest at all. Moving on.....

#51 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

Is this available? Can't seem to purchase into the alpha?

It's a MW Clone, which is fine, the fact that they have AI Bots and dedicated servers makes it very interesting.

#52 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Hell I'll give it a shot, been way too long since there has been more mech games.

#53 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Well it doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy like the Battletech universe, but it looks like it might be worth checking out. It seems there are a lot of mech like games coming out again after what seemed like a rather barren 5-10 years. I can't complain about that.

#54 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

... well, also lasers and lots of rockets, a copy with 3rd person view only?

#55 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostJiang Wei, on 22 July 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

The is being released today early access alpha for $15 with a promise of never having to pay for future DLC if u buy in now. After full release u would have to pay for any further DLC. Its a damn good deal. Im buying it today.

Ive watched the gameplay vids that are available, and even though its not battletech based alot of the mechs look similar to BT mechs. They have weather effects, destructible terrain and bases, destructible repair bays, a campaign, ai bots, dedicated servers, and you can host your own servers as well. Not sure how big the maps are, but since they look mech4 ish ill wager they are just as big and probably dont cost $250,000 to make per.

Im excited to get the game and play it. I will be streaming it so if anyone wants to watch as see how it looks u are welcome to. Ill post a stream link once I am playing.

Im surprised a little that this topic hasnt been locked and/or moved yet....

Honestly the mechs look pretty bleh but this is the only good thing pgi has done with this game visually that is the mechs, thats where all the money went into.

I can really see myself playing that game over this in no time.

mw0 days just might be shorter than pgi thinks if this game gets a larg fan base going,, I mean the maps look great, it's got similar style of play...hmmm I'm gonna get it.

If this other game had comparable graphics at least when it comes to the mechs...this game will tank pretty fast since it has a single player online and offline and lots of large maps. Even though I've spent a lot of money on this game I'm more than ready for a new mech game that does everything better.

Edited by Darth Bane001, 22 July 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#56 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

The game looks good to me. I mean I'm sure the graphics will improve, that was pre-alpha footage after all. I feel like buying it just out of spite for pgi.

#57 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

View PostPOWR, on 22 July 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

This is kinda amusing. The creation of AI opponents is probably relatively trivial. The creation of good AI opponents? Something quite different. The AI in 1990, 95, 99 or 01? It was all quite terrible. Go back and play one of those games and tell me that you're even slightly challenged, by the AI. Not the clunky interface or low-res graphics getting in the way of your playing it. Oh right...

If you look at MWO and the level of things an AI would have to take in to account (terrain vs mechtype, arm-movement, torso movement, weapon types and heat management, jumpjets, cover, size of the mech, position of weapons on the mech) to not just be an absolute pushover, even if we include the ability of AI to see you through things and aim perfectly, we're looking at a rather heavy problem.

Haven't you considered that we, in games, in the past 20 years, have seen almost no evolution of AI? If there's a case of challenging AI, it's usualy because we're looking at something that is heavily scripted or stacks the odds against you in the extreme, but without being too unfair.

So, yes, building a very rudimentary AI routine, have some mechs run around that don't suffer from various limitations that players do, would probably be very doable. But it'd not be a quality product. So, let's have a look at this other game and see how it stacks up in the PVE area.. if Mechwarrior is to have a singleplayer game in the future, we're looking at something where there'd need to be a ton of scripting and staged encounters to make it interesting and challenging. It'd be much cheaper and more efficient than trying to program an AI that would be able to take into consideration all the things that are "easy" for a person to do.

But, let's see what these guys have with their 3 day AI. It might be super impressive, but I somehow doubt it very much.

Lots of BS excuses there. League of Legends has bots and Riot realized that here is money to be made when they invest in multiple game modes.

TDM gets old!

#58 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 22 July 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

The game looks good to me. I mean I'm sure the graphics will improve, that was pre-alpha footage after all. I feel like buying it just out of spite for pgi.

I feel the same way after all these failed promises I'm more than ready for a game that is pretty much the same thing but kicks this ones ass and it's a lot cheaper as well, way more weapons you can tinker with.

However I cant seem to purchase it so guess it's not ready for an official launch. When they let me purchase it and so far it looks like they plan on delivering...frankly any other company I feel like will deliver in less than a year compared to this game anymore I want this game to succeed in such a way that I no longer bother giving this company money I want the other game to win me over at this point, I'll give them a chance.

#59 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

To me it's about options, this game already seems to have more options with no hoops to jump through, and it's in pre-alpha.

#60 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

Looks more interesting than hawken but good lord I hate those baby steps those mechs are taking. There are actually a hand full of such games comming down the pipeline but all are in the 'early alpha' 'early access' phase and depending on the price when its more complete may give it a try. I dont see any of them depleting MWO's playerbase much however, majority of people playing are pretty die hard BT fans and nothing short of a new, better MW game will get them to shove off.

(Well that and a few too many of russ's island/target demographic comments might do it too.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users