- - - - -

Gxp Conversion, Should I Or Should I Not?

Question

22 replies to this topic

#1 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

Greetings, Mechwarriors.

Last day of the 50 XP to GXP for 1 MC conversion-rate.

And here i am, wondering if i should take the offer, and for what reason.

I do have some MC left (could recharge if needed to, ofc) and one or two chassis "elited" with several hunderts of XP on top.

What i don't see is for what reason i should converse to GXP.

I got a little over 20k GXP over the last couple of days from pugging alone (prem and heros/champs), so even if it takes a while, i get my module-collection steadily growing within a reasonable and exactable amount of time.
Like this, throwing in MC for GXP, which i would get anyway, seems kinda off to me.

Next what comes to my mind is GXP for chassi skilltrees.
Almost the same as for modules, the chassis i'm currently playing are going up to "master-rank" pretty fast. the ones i dedicate as "keepers" will get their "elited" mostly within the same day. So, again, throwing MC in for chassi-skilling seems off too.

Is there anything i'm missing about the usage of GXP conversion?
Should i bunker some (or a lot of) GXP now that the conversion rate is on sale, and if so, for what reason?

Thanks in advance, Mechwarriors.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

It's one of the few things you can do with weird numbers of leftover MC. I paid for a couple of big chunks a long time ago (on a sale many moons ago) and held onto it until new modules I wanted came out, that way when a new module arrives I would have the GXP on hand to buy it with and would not be forced to convert GXP at the regular rate.

GXP for mech skills is a waste, it's not that hard to skill up a mech unless you're a true wallet warrior and ain't got time for dat :)

Most people aren't getting 20k GXP over a few days (and most people aren't getting elited mechs in a day) so you may be in the envious position of already having enough GXP for anything you need, but modules tend to come out in batches with multiple you may want to buy releasing in the same patch.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 22 July 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

The more you're stapped for playing time the handier something like this becomes. And even then I''d suggest getting some premium time instead too also help boost C-bills.

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I've done it on occasion to avoid the grind to elite on a couple chassis. I have 3 Atlas sitting in my mech bay I haven't touched since I bought them on sale, 50% off. I've heard the grind to elite them is really tough. Just depends on whether you want to invest real money in the game or not. There are worse things you could spend money on, and certainly better things. But just depends on what's more important to you, your time or your money. It will cost you one or the other if you want to elite a chassis.

Jody

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#5 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the replies.

If there isn't any other use apart from timesaving (which i don't have to, since i kinda like to "grind it out" for some reason), i'll probably keep my MC for upcoming 'mech- and 'mechbay- sales and/or spend it on some paints and camo-scheme (a.k.a. stuff i can't grind out).

View Postsneeking, on 22 July 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

nothing like the convenience of instant ( well the tedious click fest that passes for instant ) mastery of a new chassis.

I dunno about that. It's actually fun for me to "level up" my 'mech bit by bit. Can't see a reason to why i should pay to take a part of the fun away from me. Well, that's me, different persons different viewpoints, i guess.
But if i wouldn't have the time to grind'em out, GXP conversion would be reasonable, that's undoubtfully right.

View Postsneeking, on 22 July 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

dam I wish they would add check boxes to the skill tree with a select all option for each tier.

Yes, the whole clickfest is annoying. [do you want to master this?] yes/no [you mastered this] ok. If it would be for the skilltree only, okay, but the whole U.I. 2.0 seems to be in dire need of of some serious streamlining. If i'd start calling out all the issues i wouldn't be finished before midnight.

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

I've done it on occasion to avoid the grind to elite on a couple chassis. I have 3 Atlas sitting in my mech bay I haven't touched since I bought them on sale, 50% off. I've heard the grind to elite them is really tough.

Oh, i bought an Atlas RS(C) this sale (and an Atlas D-DC with C-bills) both sitting on "Basic" with 18k and 9k, waiting for the 3. Chassi to come in. Didn't took me more then 4-5 hours so far. (Should mention that i'm an awful (assault)pilot too.)

#6 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

Depends on if you want to waste real money or not. Personally I don't and I've got hundreds of thousands of XP on a bunch of mechs I could convert and master my 3 Battlemasters.

#7 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Really it is up to you, i dunno what your questions is here. If you think it is worth it then do it...otherwise do not.

Just know that its is 50 -1 this weekend and not 25-1 like normal....But i do not think anyone here wants to convince you otherwise. Its your money, do with it what you would like sir. Best thing I use it for is also Modules, really nice to be able to scoop em up when they come out.

#8 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

With the GXP conversion sale I usually get the following, in order.

-Pilot Module Unlocks (Most expensive)
-Master Skill Module Slot unlock
-The 4 Elite Skill unlocks.

Really no need to unlock the basic skills with GXP, as you can earn the MXP for those in a handful of matches.

#9 Wraithlord77

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

i only get GXP for my pilot module unlocks,i have the base ones all unlocked to lvl 2 as for the higher ones only usefull ones are the sensor modules, the weapon modules i find are usless becouse of the extra heat they give so i just use my MC for premium time , camo colours and a little Irish flag in my cockpit jsut incase i forget where im from :)

Edited by Wraithlord77, 22 July 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 22 July 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

Really it is up to you, i dunno what your questions is here. If you think it is worth it then do it...otherwise do not.

My questions were, to use or not to use the 50 GXP / 1MC offer. Be it for 'mech-, and pilot-skills or to bunker them (while at 50% off) for reasons unknown to me (module-system rework or community warfare, idk that's why i'm seeking advice), since the last time i saw such an offer was month away.

But as it seems, GXP conversion is only useful if the time or the will to grind isn't at hand. Hence, not of interest for me.

cheers, and thanks for the replies.

#11 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Oh now i get it, Yea if you have time to grind then i would not bother spending the money, Cbills are not that hard to come by neither is GXP or Mech EXP. Like myself and some others have stated the best use of this is banking it for now until a module release comes out. Then you can grab all the modules in one afternoons or whatever. But again, not impossible to make the money and the GXP normally. Just instead of one or two days to pay and convert you might be here for 4 or 5 days grinding...really not much of a difference considering most of us are here boiling metal anyway! :)

#12 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

If you have no interest in adding mechbays, patterns, colors, or MC mechs and do intend to unlock more modules or master new CBill mechs, then take advantage of the GXP conversion sale.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

ill say,, It is worth it if you wan't to unlock a module, AND have the money to buy said module, as most cost like 6m.. See how close ya are, and go for it. As for waiting for a sale, ehh.. typically when i do uses GPX, it is because i am close and don't want to wait..

now, after playing a long time, and having the Mech spending problem.. aka,.. i keep spending all my C-bills on mechs, verse modules, i have gathered a lot of GPX, and now need to save money for said modules..

For me it is most worth it, for a new player, that has gotten to at least master and then Over on one mech.. to help unlock a module for said mech..

#14 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

I've done it on occasion to avoid the grind to elite on a couple chassis. I have 3 Atlas sitting in my mech bay I haven't touched since I bought them on sale, 50% off. I've heard the grind to elite them is really tough. .

Not my experience at all. I easily get 1000xp in a battle with an Atlas. (no premium) So that's 2000 with the daily x2. Even if you only get the daily x2 you'd have Mastered one in a month.

View Postxeromynd, on 22 July 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Really no need to unlock the basic skills with GXP, as you can earn the MXP for those in a handful of matches.
You do know that the xp needed for each tier is exactly the same don't you? 21500 xp. It only looks more for the higher tiers as there's less sense of progress (less skills unlocked/time).

Edited by SnagaDance, 23 July 2014 - 03:41 AM.

#15 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 23 July 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

You do know that the xp needed for each tier is exactly the same don't you? 21500 xp. It only looks more for the higher tiers as there's less sense of progress (less skills unlocked/time).

Wrong!
First Tier is 14250 xp

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

Really wish there was some sort of cbill conversion or an XP to premium time for extra mech xp. I have like 2 million xp just sitting on my mechs doing nothing. Seems really silly considering you only need like 60k to Master a variant.

#17 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I also have a few mechs with half a million XP on them each. Would be nice if you could use 250,000/500,000 XP for unlocking another module slot, free integrated BAP, +5% cooldown, or somesuch advantage for your favorite mechs. Nothing too weird to upset the balance.

I know that the GXP-XP conversion is part of PGIs income model, but I doubt any player is going to convert 500,000 XP...

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 25 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I know that the GXP-XP conversion is part of PGIs income model, but I doubt any player is going to convert 500,000 XP...

I did....

Burned whatever I had left of the 20,000MC(?) from the Founder's Pack on a double conversion weekend. Had like 650k GXP. Haven't had to grind XP since.

Edited by Sug, 25 July 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#19 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostLord Sevenous, on 25 July 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

Wrong!
First Tier is 14250 xp

Wooooops! My bad!

Still, if gaining 14250xp is considered 'a handful of matches' upping that xp requirement with an additional 50% would seem trivial. After all how much could a 'handful' plus 'half a handful' be? :)

Being able to unlock skills feels like progress. It doesn't help that beyond Speed Tweak the Elite tier doesn't have anything of true value to offer, which means that over half of the total xp grind towards Mastery can be considered to feel rather empty.

#20 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

As long as you have not unlocked all modules it could make sense to convert to GXP. Especially, if its only a small amount until you can unlock your most wanted module (where only a few hundred points are missing). I would not convert it only to skillup a mech. I did it once an regret it still.
The module overhaul is coming and noone knows what happens then: New modules? new ranks for old ones? So, its allways good to have GXP stored, imho.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users