Air Superiority Module

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Air-Superiority Module (Combat Air Patrol) (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes or No?

1. Awyissss! (10 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Nooooo!! (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JHackworth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

I think someone suggested this in the general forum (http://mwomercs.com/...ble-consumable/), but I'd like to put this forward as a formal suggestion.

Air-Superiority Module.

Consumable. When activated, the combat air patrol (CAP) stays 'on station' or loiters for an interval, say 4 minutes. During that interval, aerospace attackers coming in with strikes will need to roll against some function of the ratio friendly to enemy CAPs before being able to successfully deliver a strike. CAPs stack and can be countered by enemy CAPs.

#2 JHackworth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

There would also be a Surface to Air missile module that works similarly. My clan buddy Appogee suggested this. The difference will mostly be how those strikes are countered. CAP gives you global map coverage. SAM gives you local coverage, higher probability of hitting the inbound aerospace jet if it is coming your way.

I'd love to see the graphics around this. Aerospace fighter appears out of the corner of your eye and then the CAP swoops in and blows it up overhead OR misses!

Edited by JHackworth, 23 July 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#3 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Wouldn't our arena style battlefields small enough that any reasonable SAM's area of influence would be our battlefield. It would seem partitioning the battlefield into small SAM influence would overly diminish SAMs.

Instead, I'd say let CAP work to effect enemy air units prior to entry into the battlefield, while SAMs effect enemy air units in the battlefield. So ideally, CAP might actually prevent the enemy air units from arriving on station in the first place, or at least reduces the number that make on station...reducing the maximum potential damage the enemy air units could bring into the battlefield. While SAMs would engage enemy air units over the battlefield, in attempt to reduce enemy units while they are already in range to engage friendly units.

So let's say the enemy send air units that can deliver a potential damage values of 50. CAP could reduce that to let's say 30 before they even arrive on station, but the SAMs would continue to reduce that value after the enemy can theoretically begin delivering that 30 units of damage, perhaps only allowing them to do 20 units of damage before they are destroyed or leave. Without the CAP to intercept, the enemy air would have been able to begin delivering their 50 units of damage before the SAMs could engage, perhaps resulting in 35 units of damage done.

#4 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

Here's my suggestion: Combine aerial dog-fights into aerial bombardment.

You activate the module two times:
* First activation calls in air-support. It takes ~3 minutes to get there. The enemy gets a warning and can call in its own air-support.
* After those 3 minutes, aerial bombardment becomes available.
* Second activation calls in an air-strike. But the bomber has to succeed in a roll depending on the strenghts of the airforces (80% for 50:50?), otherwise the bombardment simply doesn't happen.

EDIT: Consumable is consumed upon first activation.

And I would increase number of shells and/or damage to offset the decrease in statistical damage.

Edited by DI3T3R, 23 July 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#5 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostDI3T3R, on 23 July 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

* First activation calls in air-support. It takes ~3 minutes to get there. The enemy gets a warning and can call in its own air-support.
* Second activation calls in an air-strike. But the bomber has to succeed in a roll depending on the strenghts of the airforces (80% for 50:50?), otherwise the bombardment simply doesn't happen.

And I would increase number of shells and/or damage to offset the decrease in statistical damage.

To add to this, how about calling in Air Support, then it will automatically attack Tagged or NARCed targets (using a single bomb/laser strafe)

#6 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostHoffenstein, on 23 July 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

To add to this, how about calling in Air Support, then it will automatically attack Tagged or NARCed targets (using a single bomb/laser strafe)

Automated attacks might be a bit tricky to program. Turrets at least have a defined position from where they shoot. There are no planes in the air when an airstrike happens.

#7 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

What the hell, r u mad Bro?! Never ever.

Edited by LiGhtningFF13, 24 July 2014 - 01:09 AM.

#8 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Pretty neat idea. Air strikes are used as an after thought in game though, once Arty has been loaded up. Given 2 consumable slots most people will choose Arty first, and then depending on taste and heat managment EITHER Cool shot or Air strike.

Maybe you guys could cook up something for Arty as well? Since it is more common than Air strike it might actually get more attention and be implemented.

#9 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

I really like this idea. Something needs to be done about the number of Arty/Airstrikes in the game. It's almost unbearable in some ELO's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users