Mwo Is Now Officially The Game That Made Me Spend Most Money.

20 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Twas but a year ago, when I received my shiny new AMD 7950HD graphic card from USA, to play my games on high graphics. My old graphic card was having some issues and had to be replaced. Fast forward 10 months, while I was in the mech lab, the screen crashed and there were red stripes all over it. I tried so hard to figure out a way to fix the card, but had to give up after a month of trying. 250 USD went down the drain.

After a month of sabbatical, I bought a new graphics card, this time Nvidia GeForce 760. Just after 2 weeks of buying it for 299 USD, this time from local retailer, while again at the mech lab, the screen froze again, this time with red or blue splotches all over the screen. Trying hard to figure out what is wrong.

Blake damn it. MWO, why you do this to me? Never had any issues with playing graphic intensive games such as Rome 2: Total War, but MWO mech lab just eats my graphic cards :)

#2 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

MWO is POORLY optimized at this stage in it's development..

I see so many people getting angry because they MAX-OUT every single Video Setting and get 40 FPS (Frames Per Second), then scream bloody murder.

Here's some advice..
#1. Do NOT set EVERY video setting to very High, make it a mixed bag of High/Med, or whatever else works BETTER.

#2. In MWO Settings>Video>Advanced, set the particles option to low, restart the game after you save your settings.

Now if you find a perfect mix between Quality and Performance, please post in Hardware section of the forums with the EXACT settings, so that someone else may benefit as well.

Also make sure to post your EXACT system specs, and the EXACT driver you are using for your Video Card.
I.E., Number and release date.

Edited by Odins Fist, 22 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#3 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Check your power supply. I had the same graphics problem. Turned out my PSU didn't have the amperage to power the new graphics card. Was 28 amps where I needed something like 32 or 35 amps to run my new GPU. Back to fry's I went and now my system runs better and faster than ever.

#4 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

GTX 760
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 97c

Graphics Card Power 170 W

Minimum Recommended System Power 500 W

Two 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

ALSO: the GTX 760 needs 30 AMPs from your PSU

Edited by Odins Fist, 22 July 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

http://extreme.outer...n.com/PSUEngine They'll want some money to show you the per-rail amperage, but it'll be worth it.

There is the implication the IOH Core/ QPI pll Twins could use a voltage bump, but let us see about your PSU first …

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostDeathsiege, on 22 July 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Check your power supply. I had the same graphics problem. Turned out my PSU didn't have the amperage to power the new graphics card. Was 28 amps where I needed something like 32 or 35 amps to run my new GPU. Back to fry's I went and now my system runs better and faster than ever.

View PostOdins Fist, on 22 July 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

GTX 760

My PSU is Rosewill Hive 750 Watt 80 with +12v ampage: 54 amps. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182133

Is it really not enough? :D

Edited by El Bandito, 23 July 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#7 vipershark0

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 July 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

My PSU is Rosewill Hive 750 Watt 80. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182133

Is it really not enough? :D

Although I think that probably is enough, this problem seems to shout PSU. made sure you got everything hooked up right? maybe just got a faulty one PSU or Card, but I would take a look at it, and also make sure you didn't do something silly like forget the pci-e 6 pins to the video card.

#8 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

So how often does this happen? Every time or just one or twice a night? Crashing once a night is kind of normal for me with this game. Something to do with the programming is very bad when clearing the memory after games. Sucker even crashes on me when i close the game every so often.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 July 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#9 Scifimyth

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts
  • LocationQuesnel, BC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

This definitely sounds like your PSU. If your PSU has multiple PCI-E power connectors, try changing them. It is possible you are getting bad power down one of them. If you can, try a different power supply (a friend, talk to a shop you know, etc). It is also possible your motherboard has some problems although it seem less likely.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 July 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

So how often does this happen? Every time or just one or twice a night? Crashing once a night is kind of normal for me with this game. Something to do with the programming is very bad when clearing the memory after games. Sucker even crashes on me when i close the game every so often.

In MWO, it happens 5-10 minutes after starting a match or around 10 minutes while idling in the mech lab. Less graphic intensive games such as League of Legends will freeze once during 1-2 games, which is 30-60 minutes. LoL freeze lasts a few seconds and the screen will refresh and game will continue to run. MWO freeze will exit the game and sometimes I need to manually restart to get the computer to running again.

View PostScifimyth, on 23 July 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

This definitely sounds like your PSU. If your PSU has multiple PCI-E power connectors, try changing them. It is possible you are getting bad power down one of them. If you can, try a different power supply (a friend, talk to a shop you know, etc). It is also possible your motherboard has some problems although it seem less likely.

I don't think it has anything to do with my mother board, since I tried it in a different computer and had the same issue. The faulty PSU connector theory might be sound. I'll try using a different slot. Is there anyway to monitor whether the PSU is supplying enough power?

View Postvipershark0, on 23 July 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

Although I think that probably is enough, this problem seems to shout PSU. made sure you got everything hooked up right? maybe just got a faulty one PSU or Card, but I would take a look at it, and also make sure you didn't do something silly like forget the pci-e 6 pins to the video card.

I just replaced my GTX 760 from Gigabyte with a slightly cheaper Asus version, from the retailer. This one has 2 fans instead of 3 and has only one 8 pin slot to connect to the PSU rather than the 6+8 the Gigabyte one had. Let's hope it works. Just for safety, I'm gonna turn down MWO graphics from Very High to Medium, although that defeats the purpose of the reason why I bought the card in the first place.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 July 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#11 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

The PSU is the heart of your machine, always be sure to get a good one and replace them when you start having issues. The capacitors in a well built unit should last at least 5 years, but if you keep the PC running all the time and you are running near capacity of the power supply you may not get much more than that.

I had an 8 year old CoolerMaster 1000 watt and running xfire it would die fairly often. Either card ran fine single but together it was too much. Ran calculations and the rig should only have needed 700-800 watts max, but I am guessing the caps had worn out a bit. Replaced the PSU and it runs solid as a rock.

#12 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

1 thing about psu, a lot of times, they are weaker then advertised. Corsair psu are the closest ones I have seen to be near their wattage. So normally if I go with non-corsair when building comps for people, I over shoot what's needed, because it doesn't hurt to have more, especially since there's a chance in the future for adding another graphics card or upgrading.

Anyway, that's my recommendation for future builds... And also remember, not every computer component is 100% perfect out of the factory, and some lemons aren't always DoA, sometimes they are sleepers waiting to ruin your day, and sometimes you get multiple streaks of bad luck... Best of luck bro, hope things work out for you.

#13 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Definitely sounds like a PSU and I doubt the Rosewill is posting "true power numbers". Which is why Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA are the best choices right now.

If you skimp on the PSU, you will potentially deep six an otherwise good system.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 22 July 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

GTX 760

97 deg C is waaaay too hot, mate. I only get a max of 53 deg C with my EVGA GTX760 4GB mounting an Arctic Cooling after market Accelero Extreme III.

MOAR cooling!!

#15 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

You guys keep saying PSU... whats teh CPU real quick? I'm sure its a rocker, but I have 3 machines at home with 4850, 4850x2, and a 7850, and they play pretty much according to their CPU not their GFX card.

The 4850s are 4 generations old.

#16 MahKraah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaffel Dierondistrict

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

97c??? !!!!!!!!!!!!!
this will kill every gfx card in a verry short time, most of them wont even survive a coupple of seconds at this temps!!!
open the case, secure cool air is succed into the gfc card cooler than report if you still have problems.
watch temps, if it raise above 75 c you have to do something about it or your card will die/malfunction, if not immediatly than within a short period of time.

#17 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'd have to agree with the others, it sounds like a power problem. I've run into plenty over the years, and the symptoms are all too familiar. I have the 760 as well, and can confirm the minimum 30 amp draw. I'd like to point out a couple other things. One is that the 97c Odin quoted was the manufacturers spec for max temp limit. Mine and others run significantly cooler under normal gaming loads.(unless you're a dipstick and max all settings @1440p or something)

Secondly, is that I noticed that's a value brand Rosewill modular power supply. Make sure you are using the hard wired PCI-e connectors and not the modular ones. I cringe every time I see modular cables built with cost cutting in mind that have to draw high amps. I realize plenty of modular power supplies are nice and all, but I've seen bad wire jobs on otherwise fine PSUs ruin video cards. The more points of possible failure you introduce into a circuit...you get the idea.

Good luck.

#18 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostLeonidasBD, on 26 July 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

Definitely sounds like a PSU and I doubt the Rosewill is posting "true power numbers". Which is why Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA are the best choices right now.

If you skimp on the PSU, you will potentially deep six an otherwise good system.

I beg to differ..... while Rosewill has many different models on newegg, I built my first rig around 6 years ago. I have ran SLI, Crossfire, water loops, raid drives in my builds. The first ones I got 7 years ago are the RX-750 and the RX-950. Both of these are still up and running and I have never had a problem out of either of them. Johny Guru did a write up on these models when they first come out. The numbers don't lie and neither did Rosewill on these models. Can't speak for all of them, but in that write up and extreme testing they did on those two models, they passed with flying colors. When they opened the PSU's up and inspected them, they had many of the very same caps, and parts and very well soldered together as many of the big names, including Sea sonic, Corsair. In fact I think they had the same parts as Corsair. Any brand can have problems....some are more apt then others, but Rosewill does make quality PSU's depending on which model you get. Good luck with figuring it out. Shouldn't be hard, find a spare PSU and test it out.

97C is not good for your card.... .Cooling Cooling Cooling! My 7970 3 gb card never hits above 65C maxed out on all high settings. My CPU is water cooled on a custom loop. Air flow is extremely important... and if your card is running that hot, I wonder how hot your PSU is getting? Heat kills computers.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 29 July 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#19 Octopot

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

If your card is hitting 97c, might want to check your heatsink fans either they died or unplugged, lots of dust etc, cable blocking the fan from spinning...I've seen all the things listed before.

I am using an old GTX 580 watercooled, never goes above 45c on load.

#20 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

The 97C Odins Fist is quoting is the manufacturer specs for the card, not the experienced reading that El Bandito is getting. Less panic required. Advice on ways to keep the card cool is always good, but not the problem in this case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users