Load Into Black Screen

31 replies to this topic

#1 Astarte

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

So today, I am playing all day fine, then, one match loads into a black screen.

Restart client - same
Repair tool client - same
Reinstall client - same
Restart machine - same

Yet, can load into a testing grounds np. (move shoot, the lot)

Anyone else had this?

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Greetings,

Black screen indicates that there is no video feed being sent. Do you still have in game sound but black screen?
Try plugging into the other port on the card and see if that changes anything.
- Did your card overheat?
- Have you bumped the vid card or cables, loose connection?
- Do you have a dust/heat issue on the card?

Additionally check for newer vid card drivers, but it sounds like a connection issue and not a video problem. The testing grounds are conducted on the local client and do not require a server connection. Power off and reboot the modem for a check.

Have you installed/downloaded anything new just before the issue?

Just some ideas,
9erRed

#3 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostAstarte, on 22 July 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

So today, I am playing all day fine, then, one match loads into a black screen.

Restart client - same
Repair tool client - same
Reinstall client - same
Restart machine - same

Yet, can load into a testing grounds np. (move shoot, the lot)

Anyone else had this?

Wow, very interesting. So, if you can get into the testing grounds and play fine, its not a no video feed issue. Generally going to a blank screen is the result of a video issue, however, a blank screen can simply be a point where the game hangs going from 1 screen re-draw to another (when loading a new map and all its associated crap for example).

Can you open your omnicron.log, in the mecwarrior folder and look at the end of it (right after you go to a blank screen) and see if there are any errors at the end or, what it was doing before it went black.

#4 Astarte

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Initializing default materials...
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
======== mechlab is loaded in 3.8 sec ========
[Error] <Flash> Error: GFxLoader failed to open 'Libs/UI/System\../Screens/Assets/UIWebDownloads/DailyStock.jpg' [Libs/UI/System\Main.gfx]
[Error] <Flash> GFxLoader failed to open "Libs/UI/System\../Screens/Assets/UIWebDownloads/DailyStock.jpg" [Libs/UI/System\Main.gfx]
[Error] <Flash> Error: GFxLoader failed to open 'Libs/UI/System\../Screens/Assets/UIWebDownloads/Stock.jpg' [Libs/UI/System\Main.gfx]
[Error] <Flash> GFxLoader failed to open "Libs/UI/System\../Screens/Assets/UIWebDownloads/Stock.jpg" [Libs/UI/System\Main.gfx]
OmicronOnline[ELogLevel_Notice]: Received MatchmakingBegin
OmicronOnline[ELogLevel_Notice]: Received MatchmakingComplete: Result=EResult_Success, GameID=461355462673034471
Material objects/mechs/skins/tiger_a/shadowhawk_tiger_a not found during Unregister
Material objects/mechs/skins/heromechs/jester/catapult_jester_a not found during Unregister
Material objects/mechs/skins/heromechs/jenner/jenner_hero_a not found during Unregister
Material objects/mechs/atlas/body/atlas_body not found during Unregister
could not free all buffers from CDevBufferMan!
UnLoadLevel End: 0.3 sec
Game rules class: Skirmish
============================ PrepareLevel lavaworld ============================
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
UnLoadLevel End: 0.4 sec
Ammo Pool Statistics:
[Error] Runaway thread
System Shutdown
DXInput Shutdown
Closing PAK file: game\animations.pak
Closing PAK file: game\applejack.pak

(It closed the rest of them, the PAK files)

I right clicked and closed the window from the blackscreen. I should point out, that I am not a Tech Guy, so I don't really know how to fix or what any of that means

Edited by Astarte, 23 July 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#5 Astarte

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

OmicronOnline[ELogLevel_Notice]: Received MatchmakingComplete: Result=EResult_Success, GameID=461355479852904451
Material objects/mechs/skins/heromechs/jenner/jenner_hero_a not found during Unregister
Game rules class: Assault
============================ PrepareLevel causticvalley ============================
[Error] Runaway thread

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

have you run the repair tool?

#7 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostAstarte, on 23 July 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

[Error] Runaway thread

View PostAstarte, on 23 July 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

I
UnLoadLevel End: 0.4 sec
Ammo Pool Statistics:
[Error] Runaway thread

I think this is your issue.

Here is one I just generated and the game played fine::

OmicronOnline[ELogLevel_Notice]: Received MatchmakingComplete: Result=EResult_Success, GameID=463607558839473486
Material objects/mechs/skins/invasion_a/kitfox_invasion_a not found during Unregister
Game rules class: Skirmish

============================ PrepareLevel lavaworld ============================
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds]
======== lavaworld is loaded in 19.7 sec ========

No run-away threads there. Next task is to figure out what thread is choking and on what. Lemme look around.

#8 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

If you really feel like finding out which thread is dying go here:

http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645

The program called process monitor will allow you to monitor and capture what process are running, as well as log what is going on with their individual threads. Turn capture on, play a game then go back and look and see what went on. Been a while since i've used it but I remember you can put a filter on to limit the results to process running under your user credentials. Under the options, Turn on all the columns -- for now.

This window will keep adding events at the bottom of the list as you go on. When running it please quit any extraneous programs. When your game dies, go to the process monitor and scroll through the bottom of the list to see if you can find anything that seems really strange.

EDIT:
Was just thinking... what if the runaway isn't a runaway but the OS is erroneously reporting that it is even though it isn't...i.e. not waiting long enough for the thread to finish.

Edited by nehebkau, 23 July 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Astarte

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

how would you fix that?

#10 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostAstarte, on 24 July 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

how would you fix that?

\
Cross that bridge when you get to it. First step is trying to find out which thread/process is reporting as being a run-away.

#11 Manoque

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

I have same exact issue. Maybe 1 out 30 games it loads. Testing ground no issue... match making games.

<18:30:57> ============================ PrepareLevel rivercity ============================
<18:30:58> Initializing default materials...
<18:31:02> [Error] Runaway thread
<18:31:05> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=objects/environments/skyboxes/forestcolony_clouddome_a.dds]
<18:31:05> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'objects/environments/skyboxes/rivercity_cloud_fulldome.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=objects/environments/skyboxes/rivercity_cloud_fulldome.dds]
<18:31:05> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'objects/environments/skyboxes/rivercity_planet_dif.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=objects/environments/skyboxes/rivercity_planet_dif.dds]
<18:31:05> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
<18:31:05> [Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
<18:32:51> Material engineassets/materials/water/wateroceanbottom not found during Unregister
<18:32:51> Material engineassets/materials/water/wateroceanbottom not found during Unregister
<18:32:51> UnLoadLevel End: 0.3 sec
<18:32:51> Ammo Pool Statistics:

I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit
nvidia 780Ti

#12 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hmmmm, so textures aren't being loaded properly, most likely because some out of date / bugged / incompatible library file. Try updating Video Drivers if you can or if you recently done so, reverting back to a older version. Also slight chance it might be your DirectX.

In any case, your processor isn't getting the correct information / library file too process certain texture files resulting in a failure too push it threw.

Had some crashes first day of playing myself, failed too notice a driver update for my GPU, after the update haven't experienced a single crash.

PS. Windows 8.1 ? If you want to game, I highly recommend going back to Win7.

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 18 August 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#13 Manoque

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Using nvidia latest driver. Everything ok in training ground. Everything up to date on WIndows. Out of all the game in the world I played ranging from Titanfall, bf4, Tombraider, and hundreds other games with full settings, this is the only game that have this issue. Yeah Windows 8.1 isn't that super for gaming (some say) but haven't had any issues with other games before this.

This morning i played 8 games in a row and was ok, then, kaboom! black screen after connecting to game... not even drop window. Tried changing all settings known to man but non seems to work. Then after work, tried again, manage to get in 1 game. Then kaboom! Once connected, i have no issue, it is just it's when the drop window comes, the game totally goes black and nothing happens. I checked network activity and mwoclient does send and receive bytes but nothing on screen.

Maybe it's server issue? Some of the server (that we randomly get assign to?) doesn't have the problem and some do? Depending on luck?

#14 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:46 AM

Using DirectX9 or 11 ? try switching that up.

And it might also be that your new drivers are something the game can't handle or visa versa, so try going back 1 version too see if that helps.

I'm sure it's not the servers but a graphical hiccup, since the error message you posted basically says "Didn't process this texture properly".

#15 paladinowp

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostManoque, on 18 August 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Using nvidia latest driver. Everything ok in training ground. Everything up to date on WIndows. Out of all the game in the world I played ranging from Titanfall, bf4, Tombraider, and hundreds other games with full settings, this is the only game that have this issue. Yeah Windows 8.1 isn't that super for gaming (some say) but haven't had any issues with other games before this.

This morning i played 8 games in a row and was ok, then, kaboom! black screen after connecting to game... not even drop window. Tried changing all settings known to man but non seems to work. Then after work, tried again, manage to get in 1 game. Then kaboom! Once connected, i have no issue, it is just it's when the drop window comes, the game totally goes black and nothing happens. I checked network activity and mwoclient does send and receive bytes but nothing on screen.

Maybe it's server issue? Some of the server (that we randomly get assign to?) doesn't have the problem and some do? Depending on luck?

Crap... i was in your situation, was playing this afternoon, which is 8 hours ago... then now cant play at all, the famous black screen of death, can alt-tab to other Windows. My omicron.log got that runaway thread as well. Encountered this problem before, and i stop for a month!

Hopefully tonight patch will solve the problem. I will hope for magic happens after the patch. =.=

Seem like network issue from online digging.

#16 Manoque

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 19 August 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

Using DirectX9 or 11 ? try switching that up.

And it might also be that your new drivers are something the game can't handle or visa versa, so try going back 1 version too see if that helps.

I'm sure it's not the servers but a graphical hiccup, since the error message you posted basically says "Didn't process this texture properly".

Tried this as one of my initial trouble shooting... no avail. I still believe it's network related but from network perspective of the servers. On my side, I tried enabling mechwarrior port via firewall... tried disabling my rounter firewall... tried using port forwarding... tried using NAT... nothing seems to work.

Going to try again after the patch download and see.

*** After patch test ****
No success... still black screen. Oh well.

Edited by Manoque, 21 August 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#17 paladinowp

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostManoque, on 21 August 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Tried this as one of my initial trouble shooting... no avail. I still believe it's network related but from network perspective of the servers. On my side, I tried enabling mechwarrior port via firewall... tried disabling my rounter firewall... tried using port forwarding... tried using NAT... nothing seems to work.

Going to try again after the patch download and see.

*** After patch test ****
No success... still black screen. Oh well.

I was able to play few rounds of matches this early morning, 3 am plus and 10am (with a lot of lag). But not now... sighed... luckily didnt activate my premium account yet. Wonder when can I play again. =(

#18 Manoque

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

I manage to get 1 game tonite. Then after that black screen. rejoin doesn't work as well. I'm suspecting that some servers are blocking while some let thru. I live in Malaysia, so, it might be something being block by the servers.

#19 paladinowp

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostManoque, on 22 August 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I manage to get 1 game tonite. Then after that black screen. rejoin doesn't work as well. I'm suspecting that some servers are blocking while some let thru. I live in Malaysia, so, it might be something being block by the servers.

Hey Manoque,
Im from Malaysia also.... @@ Where you playing? I playing @ Ipoh, Perak. Using Streamyx 1Mbps connection. I've log a ticket to mwo support. Will update here if there is any. =)

#20 Manoque

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Hmm. Maybe some of their server blocking some country or the lag cause no connection? Not sure then

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users