Woosh Goes The Cat A1

11 replies to this topic

#1 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

I just wanted to share a video I saved today (shadowplay) after a match on my worst map. I've seen others trying to do this build I like and I've heard plenty (newer players) say it's a horrible build. I freely admit it is a niche build and that makes it rough to score like I do in this video, and also that it's not a build you want to see on your team more than 2 of. However 2 of this build with some good lock holders will decimate an enemy team (ever better if you can get one or two non-greedy lights that will hold locks without firing on the enemy so they don't get detected.).

You can view it here if you are interested: [color=#333333][/color]http://youtu.be/_k7-G6avoWY

#2 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Oh yeah I'll apologize now for the poor quality in parts of the video. Not sure why it looks like it does because on my machine: 3.4 I7 10g ram (I know odd number haven't upgraded it yet) and a Twin Frozr Geforce GtX 760 it is nice, clean, and clear on my screen. Must be something to do with shadowplay settings or something shrug.

#3 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

Just so people don't think this was just an extreme fluke I went ahead and ran my A1 a few more times and I'll be posting 3 more videos. All can be searched with LRM BOAT DOMINATION #2 , #3, #4 :P

In at least one you will see I did manage to break the 1k damage mark. I might post my complete build using smurphy's but it's really not that hard to figure out for yourself. Also of note even though you see so few forums postings by me you should know I've been playing the game since day one of f2p. I'd just not played for the last few months much so the newer players probably don't know me.

I kind of want to post some videos of my spider but I probably won't because my 'tricks' in it I really don't want to give out :ph34r:

Anyways hope these vids help the newer players that are trying the build. Also I should say to the newer players that complain about facing lrms.. You have no idea how bad they used to be. LRM's are pretty easy to deal with as well. You can dodge them, you can negate them, you can hide in ecm, etc. Complaining that they are too strong or whatever is just crazy. One of the easiest things to deal with in the game.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Bumping your own thread does not makes the build more interesting.

It also doesn't change the lack of TAG, the increased size of missile pods and the fact that a single Spider could tear it through.

Edited by Helmstif, 23 July 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#5 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 July 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

Bumping your own thread does not makes the build more interesting.

It also doesn't change the lack of TAG, the increased size of missile pods and the fact that a single Spider could tear it through.

The A1 has always been an interesting mech. And unless he's doing 1v1s, running into a single spider really isn't an issue.

#6 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

@Helmstif

I wasn't bumping my own thread. If you really wanted to be critical then you should have noticed that the second post was a minute after the first (no need for a bump at that time), and the third post was hours later simply informing those interested that more videos are being posted and how to find them.

As far as a single spider taking me out. I'd hope so. I tear up lrm boats with my spider quite often a well. However, this config of the A1 requires that you do not stray too far from your teammates unless the opposing lights are already taken out. I drag lights to my teammates all the time in this mech. If I was recording more than just 5 minutes you'd see me do it. I am glad you brought that up though so I could share that with the newer players. Teamspeak is great for this strategy by the way.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Just because...

Spoiler

#8 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostHeffay, on 23 July 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

The A1 has always been an interesting mech. And unless he's doing 1v1s, running into a single spider really isn't an issue.

Well your opinion is not shared then. In fact A1 was the first pult I got rid of. I don't think I need to retell the long, stinking history of Streakpults and Splatcats. 6xLRM5 could be easily stopped by a couple of AMS, and in the cases when there aren't any AMS, it deals less of damage and more of annoyance. And yes, it can work, but an LRMboat without TAG is gimped by default. At least in my book. Breaking 1k dmg mark doesn't say anything. I've done 1200+ dmg with Hunchback 4P on Tourmaline.

I do admit a Spider probably couldn't take down anything by itself. But a Jenner armed with 6xMLas surely could. In fact cheeseboats such as 6xLRM5 pults and 5xLRM5 Kintaros are my primary targets when I'm in my Jenner, and I would notoriously taunt them in chat when I knock them down.

#9 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Helmstiff have you been playing long? I'm not being a jerk asking but seriously. You bring up the streakpults from pre-f2p (I'm assuming) so I'm led to think you are not new but most of what you are saying is so very far from the truth.

Spider 5D is a great mech and I've taken down many an atlas, as well as most other types of mechs (I've just come back to the game and haven't played it much or against any of the Clan mechs yet) with one with ease both before the hitbox fixes and after. I know many other pilots that have as well. Used to lead wolf packs and that was just crazy fun! Yes I am talking about 1v1 taking down atlas's with a spider, and yes I mean fresh atlas and without any support from the rest of my team.

Thing is Helmstiff I never said breaking 1k was unusual what I said was that for the A1 it can be done. My average damage is 600+ a match. Only time that changes is if I made a noobie mistake or the enemy team is smart about what they are doing and have plenty of ecm coverage. As far as AMS alone dealing with lrms... well that is why I carry 2500 of em. I always target multiple ams mechs first if the locks are available just to eat up their ams.. takes maybe 30 seconds to do so with this build.

Here is the thing: AMS fires the same amount of rounds off at EACH pack of LRM's regardless if it is LRM 20 or 5. So this build eats up AMS like no other and is left with plenty of rounds to kill mechs with once the ams is depleted. With the original post I stated this was not the be all end all for LRM boats. I've never tried to say it was the best. 6LRM15's on the A1, as the video above shows, is pretty sick as well. I prefer this over it because of: 2.5 times more ammo, faster rate of fire, tighter grouping damage, much better heat management (I run at 1.64 heat effeciency with it), with less missiles fired per I can use them as suppression and do a lot (you can see me doing this in each of the videos even against a target over 1k away because they get to hear missiles incoming for that full 1k of travel and most take cover in that situation).

The main thing to keep in mind is personal style of play though. If you don't enjoy or like the build you are not going to do well with it. If it's not your 'style' you aren't going to enjoy it...

#10 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Okay correction: if you take all my matches and do an average of damage for them with the A1 it is exactly 429. (This just since the stats reset. I didn't know they'd been reset too :) )

If you look at my mech stats you'll see I have a 2.46 kdr with the A1 now. Was 3.5 before the stats reset ;) Nothing really outstanding or unusual.

Are you mainly a meta build player? I've nothing against the meta's especially now that the jump sniper / poptart problem appears to be pretty well dealt with.

Also the video's I've posted are of my game play only in pugs. So there is no guaranteed cooperation from teammates to achieve those results.

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Ooooooh first subtly calling me a noob then questioning me if I'm a meta-player. Splendid! That's really gonna help you with your argument. :D

#12 DARWIN MURPHY

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 July 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Ooooooh first subtly calling me a noob then questioning me if I'm a meta-player. Splendid! That's really gonna help you with your argument. :(

This is an argument? I thought it was a discussion. There was no innuendo in my questions. They were quite serious. Nothing wrong being new or a meta player.

I was trying to be helpful with the thread from the get go. If you want to argue go to facebook. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users