#1 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hey there fellas.

I am having some connection problems, and before we get into the "ask the ISP for help" response section here's some context:

1- That has already been asked of them, and diddly has happened. They don't seem to know what's going on.

2- I personally think the problem might be with smething other than the cables, and wires, and routers.

I'm staying at my parents' place visiting them in California. They are using Cox for their cable and internet services. What keeps happening is that every few minutes the internet connection would just cease to exist, and it takes between 20 seconds to a full 2 minutes to come back. Apparently my parents called Cox and they sent a couple "waves" of cable guys to look at it, even changed the wireless routers twice. However, none of them seem to know why this happens. There are no microwaves within 10 meters of the router. With the way the apartment is built, the only thing above the room it's in is going to be the neighbours' living room.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the problem.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

… Does the router stay on the whole time, or is it browning out?

#3 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostGoose, on 23 July 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

… Does the router stay on the whole time, or is it browning out?

It's on the whole time. Been driving me crazy. I even checked the channels for the wifi broadcast, and personally set it to auto, just in case. It changed nothing by the way. Still the same in and out thing. I get 10-20 solid minutes of performance and then the whole thing chokes and dies for a good minute.

I would swear it was the buffer, but this is not the first router they've had strapped in.

#4 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

check the power settings for your network adapter and other hardware? their was a Microsoft update that changed the settings to power saving mode. it did some wonky stuff to my wife's laptop. Go in to Device manager, Right click on your network adapter, select properties, go to power management tab, and turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check all of the settings for your other hardware ie graph card . The power settings have fixed a few different problems. good old Microsoft strikes again. :)

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostShamous13, on 23 July 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

check the power settings for your network adapter and other hardware? their was a Microsoft update that changed the settings to power saving mode. it did some wonky stuff to my wife's laptop. Go in to Device manager, Right click on your network adapter, select properties, go to power management tab, and turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check all of the settings for your other hardware ie graph card . The power settings have fixed a few different problems. good old Microsoft strikes again. :)

Pretty sure it's not the laptop. Especially since I customized my power plan personally, and never run it for gaming without it being plugged in.

I will double check it just in case.

EDIT: Just found that option, and disabled it just in case. We'll see what happens.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that if I am downloading a file, and this "disconnect" happens. The downloads keep going fine. I just can't get any websites to load.

Same thing with my parents' machines.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 July 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Pretty sure it's not the laptop. Especially since I customized my power plan personally, and never run it for gaming without it being plugged in.

I will double check it just in case.

EDIT: Just found that option, and disabled it just in case. We'll see what happens.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that if I am downloading a file, and this "disconnect" happens. The downloads keep going fine. I just can't get any websites to load.

Same thing with my parents' machines.

sounds like the same thing that was happening until I changed the power settings on my wife's laptop. downloads from Microsoft would be ok but you tube would lock up and crash. make sure to reboot prior to testing

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostShamous13, on 23 July 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

sounds like the same thing that was happening until I changed the power settings on my wife's laptop. downloads from Microsoft would be ok but you tube would lock up and crash. make sure to reboot prior to testing

Will do.

#8 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

I would swear it was the buffer, but this is not the first router they've had strapped in.

But it's been the same make, model, and default settings the whole time.

So: If you surf into the routers settings, what do you see?

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostGoose, on 23 July 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

But it's been the same make, model, and default settings the whole time.

So: If you surf into the routers settings, what do you see?

Different makes and models actually.

I am in the set up wizard for the router right now.

First thing I see in the WiFi advanced set up is this:

Fragmentation Threshold 2346
CTS/RTS Threshold 2347

It's enabling the SSID broadcast, and the 802.11 mode is set to go up to 217Mbps. (I can set it to 450 btw)

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Yup, looks like this problem is still on-going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users