• LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 23 July 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

I know, I know the CPU you posted is not a FX-series CPU

Yes, it is

Richland is Piledriver

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 23 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Really nice build.

Tanks, but I'm thinkin' you pants me with the PSU, and I missed the wireless whats'it. :)

Did I miss something about this guy paying for an OS?

#22 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostGoose, on 23 July 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Yes, it is

Richland is Piledriver

It is an APU.. I guess I should have said that it was different in that way, My Bad.

They are different as far as integrated graphics and socket.

There I revised my statement .. you happy..??

Edited by Odins Fist, 23 July 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#23 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Never

:)

#24 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

http://www.tomshardw...de,3569-11.html

That link shows the difference in sockets.

Edited by Odins Fist, 23 July 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#25 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

So you guys would for sure recommend this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yQnqP6

If so, which sound card should I use? My friend recommended either http://www.radioshac...ductId=28627156 or http://www.radioshac...ductId=28627496

To be honest pretty much everything you guys are saying is going right over my head. I'm basically just trusting you guys atm

#26 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Of course I would, it's my suggestion. That build is a solid budget gaming build. It's weakest point will be the video card. I got to go somewhere right now, so I can't respond in more detail, but I'll be back later tonight and will then if need be. Odin and Goose should be able to answer any question you may have.

#27 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I've got a chip on my shoulder about Seagates, so there's that.

I like nVidia cards, too, but Tom's keeps saying an R7-260X is about as fast for way cheaper. But I have my doughts about any card below the GTX 760 level.

There's ~$23 in memory you'd be better off with in the CPU: This game loves Hz, and that i5-4670 has 300 more for ~$5. I hate to say it, but RAM isn't that big a priority at the price-point of this build.

I don't know that case from Adam.

I think I once had a buddy who had decided cards for wireless like that where bad, as they where stuck behind the box, where as a USB model could hang of a cord, for better reception.

#28 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostGoose, on 23 July 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I've got a chip on my shoulder about Seagates, so there's that.

I like nVidia cards, too, but Tom's keeps saying an R7-260X is about as fast for way cheaper. But I have my doughts about any card below the GTX 760 level.

There's ~$23 in memory you'd be better off with in the CPU: This game loves Hz, and that i5-4670 has 300 more for ~$5. I hate to say it, but RAM isn't that big a priority at the price-point of this build.

I don't know that case from Adam.

I think I once had a buddy who had decided cards for wireless like that where bad, as they where stuck behind the box, where as a USB model could hang of a cord, for better reception.

Well I can always use the Western Digital hard drive from the original setup I linked.

I THINK the 750 should be okay based on the reviews and ratings for it that I found

I'm not sure what you're talking about here..?

Or here

As far as internet I could always just go get a longer ethernet cable and and hardwire it

#29 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

You spend $5 more on the CPU, and it speeds up from 3.1GHz to 3.3GHz: We have reason to believe that's important.

Cases are important to cooling; I don't believe that case is any good at cooling …

#30 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostGoose, on 23 July 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

You spend $5 more on the CPU, and it speeds up from 3.1GHz to 3.3GHz: We have reason to believe that's important.

Cases are important to cooling; I don't believe that case is any good at cooling …

So get the i5 that Soul recommended?

Should I use the Line-M Case? It comes with two fans

#31 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Soul's was the slower one …

The Challenger has two 120mm fans, and one 140mm.

Soul's power supply is probably better.

Verly

Yar

#32 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 23 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Really nice build.

**Edit** I suppose I could be more constructive..........gimme a minute

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 23 July 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#33 Gerhardt Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($93.39 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $601.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 17:04 EDT-0400

instead of a separate wifi card, use the money towards a better motherboard with wifi built in.

#34 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XWczhM
Ugh The build needed to find CPU release some how... why spend the money for massive IPC from newer core I5 unless u intend on using it.
*using his previous 7200RPM HDD

The 280 is just a screaming madman deal that apparently after a careful 20 minutes of deliberation,I could not get around this card costing as much as a zotac gtx760 2gb (my standard would be GTX 760.....any less you are just missing all the good stuff.......Ie. Eye candy,AA, the real sweet spot.for 1080P)

You could totally save money on MOBO, CPU and GPU but would they even come close to this in terms of cost to insane performance. Heck he'd be ready to go multi-monitor out of the gate. none of those offerings can even come close.........

225$ for a 280 3gb GPU is madness i tells you....MADNESS!!!!!

#35 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Having played for a long time over wireless (WoT's, MWO) you may want to look at investing eventually IN a longer cable to get a wired connection...

While it works, found wireless to be a tad flacky now and then for gaming on... used to drop games/battles all the time... broke down and ran cables all through the house to every room that had a computer in it... little bit of work but worth it in the long run... IMO at least...

Nice build also...

#36 Gerhardt Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostStickjock, on 23 July 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Having played for a long time over wireless (WoT's, MWO) you may want to look at investing eventually IN a longer cable to get a wired connection...

While it works, found wireless to be a tad flacky now and then for gaming on... used to drop games/battles all the time... broke down and ran cables all through the house to every room that had a computer in it... little bit of work but worth it in the long run... IMO at least...

Nice build also...

And an ethernet cable should be less expensive than a wireless network card, with better ping.

#37 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

At the moment, all you guys are doing is confusing me. I have no idea which of these builds to go with and I'm not sure how I would decide or anything

#38 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Any of the setups you go with here will play you games you wanted so don't worry about picking the wrong stuff. I have always used the built in soundcard you might want to stick with it for a little bit and upgrade later.

The i5 cpu is really nice but is double the price of your starting cpu. The fx6300 for $120 might still be a good way to go. Make sure the board you buy supports the fx9590($350) and you can upgrade in a few years when its under 100.

the 760 and 260x video cards are both very good cards. If it was me I would go with the 760 its a little faster and in my view has a little more support due to a lot of people using this card.

Cases and cooling depending a lot on how hot it is where you live and if you have AC. For me. I buy the cheapest case as im live where it is cool. Almost all cases have room for extra fans. You can buy more if needed. Just make sure the cpu fan for the motherboard you buy isn't going to be in the way of anything.
(it would be rare for this to happen just kind of check by the pictures)

Power supply, Just make sure it has good reviews. The watt rating on these are kind of fake. Compare the amps on the 12volt line. What ever is bigger is better. Or just get a 450w+ with a good review :D

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 July 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#39 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

As far as the case goes, the thing with the initial setup I linked is that I know for a fact it will all fit in the case.

I mean. I kinda've have an idea for what to look for individually but putting it all together and making it work is a whole nother story.

Also, I live in florida so its pretty darn hot here but I do have relatively good house cooling

#40 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Your case has a usb3 port on the front and the other case has usb2 unless you upgrade to the $60 one. If you use an external hard drive this might be something to look at. Other than this both cases look fine. If you can use the usb3 on the back of your case i would go with the cheaper amazon one. You can always pop in more fans.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 July 2014 - 03:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users