105 replies to this topic

#61 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

you should be able to play most games at high settings without all the anti-aliasing stuff turned full blast.

#62 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

you should be able to play most games at high settings without all the anti-aliasing stuff turned full blast.

I'm not even sure what AA does x3

Now if you don't mind I could use just a LITTLE more help. First of. OS. How would you recommend i go about this?

Secondly, peripherals. Most important thing as far as those go that I will need is a keyboard, so what would you recommend here? Past that, a mouse and monitor recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

#63 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Whats your budget for the peripherals?

#64 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Whats your budget for the peripherals?

I'm not quite sure. I don't NEED a monitor or mouse, but I absolutely need a keyboard. Maybe a mid-quality keyboard to start, and then some higher end stuff that I can set as a goal

Also, will that build need an aftermarket audio card or does it have a built in one that will work?

#65 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

http://pcpartpicker....board-920003652

I like this logitech keyboard, I purchased one for my wife's computer. Its cheap because it says Call of Duty on it, but its backlight and responds well.

nevermind- when you click on the link it goes to a different no-name brand keyboard.

http://pcpartpicker....ard-ch9000043na

the Corsair Raptor series is sort of their budget line, but I like Corsair products a lot and they've got an awesome RMA policy if it goes bad.

Edited by DocBach, 23 July 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#66 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

http://pcpartpicker....ard-ch9000043na

the Corsair Raptor series is sort of their budget line, but I like Corsair products a lot and they've got an awesome RMA policy if it goes bad.

Looks like a decent keyboard to me! Not like I know what to look for though xD

#67 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Docs I5 build Just above ^ will play all the games........all of them.

Posted Image

#68 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 23 July 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Docs I5 build Just above ^ will play all the games........all of them.

Posted Image

The fact that you guys are completely okay with this build makes me extremely happy. My gaming rig for the past 2-3 years has been a Compaq Presario CQ57. In other words I've been wanting to shoot myself.

Once I get this rig, which will admittedly be a bit, I'll be perfectly set to game and it's such a great feeling

#69 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

yeah, it should do the job. sort of on subject I just found the logitech modern warfare 3 keyboard I bought for my wife's build that she never used in a box in the garage, if you want to pay shipping you can have it.

Posted Image

Edited by DocBach, 23 July 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#70 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

yeah, it should do the job. sort of on subject I just found the logitech modern warfare 3 keyboard I bought for my wife's build that she never used in a box in the garage, if you want to pay shipping you can have it.

Ah well. My friend who lives in town found his extra gaming keyboard. So I'm set there.

#71 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

http://www.tomshardw...ink,3053-5.html

#72 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

I always buy the cheapo keyboards and if they stop working or get to dirty I buy another 10 dollar one :D had the one on my computer for few years now. you can use your tv as a monitor for now long as it can 1080. A lcd monitor is faster and looks nice but you can get one later if you need to.

Built in sound cards work great for normal speakers.If you have highend sound system you might upgrade.

mouse wireless laser Logitech is what I buy as long as the price isn't crazy.

OS? windows 7 prem. I don't like windows 8.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 July 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#73 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image

this is how you will be setting up your heat sink if you go with that case, as the PSU is top mounted with rear ventilation.

Edited by DocBach, 23 July 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#74 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 July 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

I always buy the cheapo keyboards and if they stop working or get to dirty I buy another 10 dollar one :D had the one on my computer for few years now. you can use your tv as a monitor for now long as it can 1080. A lcd monitor is faster and looks nice but you can get one later if you need to.

Built in sound cards work great for normal speakers.If you have highend sound system you might upgrade.

mouse wireless laser Logitech is what I buy as long as the price isn't crazy.

OS? windows 7 prem. I don't like windows 8.

I'm not sure if my TV will 1080p

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

this is how you will be setting up your heat sink if you go with that case, as the PSU is top mounted with rear ventilation.

Very very important to know. I'll save the image

I jsut want to take this moment to thank EVERYONE for all of the great help I have gotten. I appreciate you all dealing with me, even if I was being a little slow at times.I feel extremely satisfied with the rig I will be walking away from this with, and I'm glad I came here for help

#75 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

After reading though all the posts here, this is my final suggestion, a combination of Goose's build and my build-

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kNTxRB

#76 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 23 July 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

After reading though all the posts here, this is my final suggestion, a combination of Goose's build and my build-

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kNTxRB

Any particular reason to take one over the other? They look about the same besides the MB and the Case
-edit- And a lack of a heat sink on yours

Edited by Darkwolfe, 23 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#77 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

since you are buying a locked CPU, added features of the motherboard are going to not really be worth the cost - since you are on a pretty tight budget we can pinch features from it to put in somewhere else. As long as you got a reliable brand that stands by their product you should be fine for all intents and purposes. The case he selected is a full sized case, and a full sized board but it doesn't support multiple GPU's or have many extra features, and the case looks like it has poorer ventilation than the Ranger M does.

#78 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

since you are buying a locked CPU, added features of the motherboard are going to not really be worth the cost - since you are on a pretty tight budget we can pinch features from it to put in somewhere else. As long as you got a reliable brand that stands by their product you should be fine for all intents and purposes. The case he selected is a full sized case, and a full sized board but it doesn't support multiple GPU's or have many extra features, and the case looks like it has poorer ventilation than the Ranger M does.

Hm. Okay. By the way, is running with a Micro ATX motherboard going to screw me in the future for upgrades and the like?

#79 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

yes, the motherboard you are getting won't really allow for overclocking, so you won't be able to use K, or unlocked chips to their full potential. It also only has one full PCI slot which will only allow for a single GPU - however, even the full sized H81 chipset boards don't support SLI/crossfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.15 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $605.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 21:46 EDT-0400

This would be a full size build within your price range - we go back to the single RAM stick and drop the heat sink, but those can be added when you save up another $40 or so later down the line. This Z87 motherboard supports both overclocking and SLI/crossfire if you choose to do so in the future, but you would have to upgrade your PSU later down the line.

If you don't think you are going to upgrade to a second graphics card later or get into overclocking, though, the mATX build I posted will do you just fine out the gate.

Edited by DocBach, 23 July 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#80 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

yes, the motherboard you are getting won't really allow for overclocking, so you won't be able to use K, or unlocked chips to their full potential. It also only has one full PCI slot which will only allow for a single GPU - however, even the full sized H81 chipset boards don't support SLI/crossfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.15 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $605.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 21:46 EDT-0400

This would be a full size build within your price range - we go back to the single RAM stick and drop the heat sink, but those can be added when you save up another $40 or so later down the line. This Z87 motherboard supports both overclocking and SLI/crossfire if you choose to do so in the future, but you would have to upgrade your PSU later down the line.

If you don't think you are going to upgrade to a second graphics card later or get into overclocking, though, the mATX build I posted will do you just fine out the gate.

I dont think I would get into overclocking. At least not for some time. What would be the benefit of a second GPU?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users