Dragon slayer help

46 replies to this topic

#21 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Here's what I run, it works as a sort of poptart, but mostly it's great for all sorts of long range situations. It's largely stock, but with large lasers instead of MPLs and SRMs

DRAGON SLAYER - "The Ripper"

Edit: Ah, woops, I just noticed this was your thread Ace. You've already heard from me.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 23 July 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#22 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yea my bad dude im everwhere with this.

#23 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Ace, add me. We can play together sometime if you want some help. Although be prepared for a very different game when dropping with a group. Things are more coordinated, and the tactics are a bit different.

EDIT: I would play with you today, but I will be going to sleep soon, and the last few of my drops are going to be in a joke build Daishi (9xERPPCs).

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 July 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#24 grml666

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAruba

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51afa75d96919d7

#25 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

View Postgrml666, on 23 July 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

tried this earlier and afiled with da gause.

#26 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostGIANT TARGET, on 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'm also trying to figure out the poptart Victor post-nerf(s). I see many well known players use XLs on their DS, and although 3xJJ is OK 4xJJ is much better from my 3-4 days of experience in my 9B. However I'm wondering if you need so many JJs and an XL, why wouldn't you get a CTF-3D instead and have superior hardpoints? The 3D can get the same height that a VTR can get with 2 JJs from what I can see and is much more nimble.

The answer is hitboxes and weapon mounts. The DS is slimmer, and the weapons are never as underslung as with the CTF.

#27 I 0____o I

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

The answer is hitboxes and weapon mounts. The DS is slimmer, and the weapons are never as underslung as with the CTF.

I think you can expose a much smaller portion of your 3D when you're popping. I find that doing 20 pts of damage with high torso mounted 2xPPC and minimizing your exposure is better than getting the extra 10 pts in with your RA and RT AC5 and having to expose a much bigger part of your mech. With the Victor you must expose pretty much the entire upper torso during a jump to get anything more than 10 pts of damage off.

#28 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostGIANT TARGET, on 23 July 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

I think you can expose a much smaller portion of your 3D when you're popping. I find that doing 20 pts of damage with high torso mounted 2xPPC and minimizing your exposure is better than getting the extra 10 pts in with your RA and RT AC5 and having to expose a much bigger part of your mech. With the Victor you must expose pretty much the entire upper torso during a jump to get anything more than 10 pts of damage off.

Sure. I agree with that analysis for that set up.
However, keep in mind that the main point of PP FLD is to put crippling damage fast, the bigger the alpha the better. When mounting a 30 point alpha, the DS ends up exposing less than the CTF.

#29 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Doesn't anyone feel it sacrilege to consider the Dragon Slayer a peek-a-boo mech? :D I love my DS and never use it as a poptart... uh besides I can't hit side of drop ship at 20 meters while using JJ. Just not wired that way I guess.

I run XL, 2xAC/5 1xLL and 2xML, with JJ for maneuvering during brawl. Good pressure build with easy heat management. (though it has lately kind of been on the shelf due to Summoner 4xERML 2xLBX5)

#30 I 0____o I

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Sure. I agree with that analysis for that set up.
However, keep in mind that the main point of PP FLD is to put crippling damage fast, the bigger the alpha the better. When mounting a 30 point alpha, the DS ends up exposing less than the CTF.

Basically to summarize 3D vs DS (specifically the loadouts and playstyles we've been talking about) as far as I can see

3D Pros
Faster speed
Faster torso twist
An option to minimize exposure while jump sniping and get 20 pts
Slightly less heat due to less JJs needed

Cons
Slightly bigger profile if jumping and exposing the full torso for 30 pts PPFLD
Thinner armor

DS Pros:
Thicker armor
Slightly smaller profile if exposing full torso

DS Cons:
Slower speed
Slower torso twist
Slightly hotter

So really what it comes down to is whether the higher speed of the 3D and the option to minimize exposure is worth the thinner armor and greater exposure when you're dealing all 30 pts of damage. I would say yes for me, but depends on the player I guess. I'd also mention that if you're jump sniping you're ideally catching enemies off guard, so the larger profile isn't a big deal in that case. When you are not able to catch enemies off guard, ie, when they're facing you behind the building or ridge in front of you, then that option of a 20 pt hit is very valuable.

#31 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostGIANT TARGET, on 23 July 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Basically to summarize 3D vs DS (specifically the loadouts and playstyles we've been talking about) as far as I can see

3D Pros
Faster speed
Faster torso twist
An option to minimize exposure while jump sniping and get 20 pts
Slightly less heat due to less JJs needed

Cons
Slightly bigger profile if jumping and exposing the full torso for 30 pts PPFLD
Thinner armor

DS Pros:
Thicker armor
Slightly smaller profile if exposing full torso

DS Cons:
Slower speed
Slower torso twist
Slightly hotter

So really what it comes down to is whether the higher speed of the 3D and the option to minimize exposure is worth the thinner armor and greater exposure when you're dealing all 30 pts of damage. I would say yes for me, but depends on the player I guess. I'd also mention that if you're jump sniping you're ideally catching enemies off guard, so the larger profile isn't a big deal in that case. When you are not able to catch enemies off guard, ie, when they're facing you behind the building or ridge in front of you, then that option of a 20 pt hit is very valuable.

That is sound analysis, and it is exactly what I meant.

#32 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 23 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

So did i waste my money on that DS or not? If so what the heck should i piliot instead? after i beat the £17 that DS cost me out of my friend.

The Victor remains a great assault mech. It is in the speed/mobility/armor sweet spot. It works well even with zero jump-sniping experience (simply jumping to dodge fire and cover terrain faster). Try different AC, PPC, laser, SRM mixes to see what works for you.

#33 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Here's a brawling build that you might want to try.
DRAGON SLAYER

I would tone down the SRM6s to 4s. Keep the 2 tons of ammo, and use the extra weight for DHS.

It's a good brawling build, and yes, I know XLs can be suicide on a front line assault mech, but with the extra mobility you will be very tanky since you can twist and spread damage, and with JJs you will actually be tanky.

#34 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Here's a brawling build that you might want to try.
DRAGON SLAYER

I would tone down the SRM6s to 4s. Keep the 2 tons of ammo, and use the extra weight for DHS.

It's a good brawling build, and yes, I know XLs can be suicide on a front line assault mech, but with the extra mobility you will be very tanky since you can twist and spread damage, and with JJs you will actually be tanky.

0 kills 0 assists 286 damage lol i suck...

#35 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 24 July 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

0 kills 0 assists 286 damage lol i suck...

It takes time. This build is a canvas upon which we will paint what you like. What did you find problematic with the build? What did you enjoy? How did the weapons and their locations feel?

#36 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 23 July 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

I have been playing it more peek aboo recently , peeking my right around corners then backing off.

Welcome to Highlander piloting. =)

#37 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 July 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

It takes time. This build is a canvas upon which we will paint what you like. What did you find problematic with the build? What did you enjoy? How did the weapons and their locations feel?

They seem fine , i seem to be over heating alot and getting cored constantly by cross map ER ppc

#38 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

The overheating comes from not eliting the mech (go to skills tab and purchase the basics, then you'll need to get 2 more Victors, and fully basic them. After that get all 4 elites on your Dragon Slayer for all it's basic bonuses to double). Once the mech is fully elited, it becomes a monster of prodigious strength. Also, if you want, drop the LPL, switch it to either an LL, ERLL (with 2 extra DHS for both options) or, a PPC or ERPPC yourself for long range sniping.

#39 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'd honestly recommend a double-stack of AC/5s on any modern DS build not purpose-built as a poptart. Yeah, the AC/5s are also a poptart weapon, but in my experiments with the 'Mech, the paired AC/5 were an all-range, all-role weapon you could employ anywhere you were at. More close-quarters DPS than an AC/20, accurate at range, and reasonably forgiving of ammo consumption. With both the guns in the Slayer's right arm, the pair acts and feels like a single large weapon, makes it very intuitive to use. It's a great primary armament to hang a 'Mech on, especially for newer players who need something more heat-forgiving and aren't up to the double-jointed octopus poptart firing runs High Elo League Elite all shoot for.

#40 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

The only constructive thing I can add as one of the poptarted is sth Iraquiwalker mentioned: I see a poptart going up I make a note of where he popped and set up for him.

Short version: Try and relocate even slightly after every pop, it helps avoid getting shot at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users