170 replies to this topic

#21 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

And that thing reminds me more of this other franchise (Although the armour is rubish... gets repeatedly taken out by a bunch of Teadybears)

Posted Image

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 29 July 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#22 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 28 July 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

On strange aspect.
The bulky look of the Mad Dog remind me of the Warhammer 40K Sentinel used by the Imperial Guard.

But the Mad Dog was never bulky...

#23 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

Well, this IS the Ultimate Mad Dog Thread.

Prime, A and C configurations will be probably those chosen.

IMO, it's more likely that the implemented configs would be the Prime, A, and B, with the C's arms (which contain both the Gauss Rifles & their ammo) being "extra" OmniPods available for purchase.

All of the C's torso sections have no weapon hardpoints at all, and carry no special equipment (e.g. ECM or Jump Jets).

#24 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 July 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

IMO, it's more likely that the implemented configs would be the Prime, A, and B, with the C's arms (which contain both the Gauss Rifles & their ammo) being "extra" OmniPods available for purchase.

All of the C's torso sections have no weapon hardpoints at all, and carry no special equipment (e.g. ECM or Jump Jets).

It would work too.

#25 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 28 July 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

On strange aspect.
The bulky look of the Mad Dog remind me of the Warhammer 40K Sentinel used by the Imperial Guard.
Posted Image

The "bulky" look of these 2 guy have something... Familiar...
Needless to say. I absolutly love both of them. (in Dawn of War II retribution, I always pick the Imperial guard and swar my ennemy with countless Sentinels. :)

Using my own armyr named "Mad Dog Company")

View PostRushin Roulette, on 28 July 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

And taht thing reminds me more of this other franchise (lthough the armour is rubish (gets repeatedly taken out by a bunch of Teadybears)

Posted Image

You might like the old design for the Flea.
Posted Image
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flea

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 July 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

This never occurred to me. While I'd be fine if they did this since it still allows for customization, I still worry about B and Prime's reliance on quirks for balancing. They only need the C's right arm since A's left arm already has a ballistic slot.

Do they have a rule where every clan mech is only allowed to have 2 Alt Configs and the Prime version?

Edited by Keeshu, 28 July 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#26 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

[/size]
But the Mad Dog was never bulky...

The Mad Dog have a much more blocky look than the others mech. BUT, have a NICE blocky look.

#27 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

It looks good, but it lacks the classic awesome arms. For some reason i believe they will use it as a model though.

#28 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostKoenig Jordahl, on 23 July 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Honestly, with the new hitboxes I think the Mad Dog will be quite the strange breed. I mean the beautiful thing is armed to the teeth, but I just feel that all of the Clan Mechs as they are, whilst have good weapons and perform decently. Seem to run a bit hotter than I'm used to in almost every different kind of set up I've tried and they're far slower than IS mechs as I currently type this. That's not to say I think they're bad, au contraire I love them to death. I just feel that the Clan Mechs work far better with some lance mates than pugging. I've had pain with the Nova despite dishing out some great damage, and I feel in a way that the vulture won't be much more different, at least on its own. Its a support mech, its not a brawler like the Mad Cat, so I'm a bit worried but hopeful at the same time.

Play it like it's desc says....missile barrage followed by wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub......and if tht doesnt work, run? Wash, rinse, repeat?

#29 VanillaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 28 July 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Do they have a rule where every clan mech is only allowed to have 2 Alt Configs and the Prime version?

The only rule is that all mechs must have 3 variants. The only reason to put out more than 3 versions is if there is something unique with the center torso because that is the only thing that cannot be changed. If you look at the Kitfox, they only made the C Right Arm pod available instead of the entire mech because the other C pods are redundant with the already released versions.

#30 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Honestly, I always likes the original's arms, but the beefed up torso of the MK2. Absolutely disliked the chingun, however, on the sole basis that it moved two arm mounted lasers and totally relocated them to the center torso. Had they made it like a sensor pod, I would be fine with it, however. MW4 went a tad overboard with the bulkiness of the torso, but the original torso setup made no sense for the shear amount of weaponry it packed. Hell, I still furrow my brow when I try and think about how the LRM launchers AND their ammo fit into those teensy tiny torsos on the original.

#31 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Posted Image

#32 Hungry Hungry Hobo

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 74 posts
  • LocationRefrigerator box floating in space.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Great thread!

I will take a Vulture over every other heavy any day.

#33 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 July 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Honestly, I always likes the original's arms, but the beefed up torso of the MK2. Absolutely disliked the chingun, however, on the sole basis that it moved two arm mounted lasers and totally relocated them to the center torso. Had they made it like a sensor pod, I would be fine with it, however. MW4 went a tad overboard with the bulkiness of the torso, but the original torso setup made no sense for the shear amount of weaponry it packed. Hell, I still furrow my brow when I try and think about how the LRM launchers AND their ammo fit into those teensy tiny torsos on the original.

I'll be honest, I have a hard time imagining how hundreds/thousands of missiles fit into any mech, doesn't matter how bulky/huge it is (much less how they move through the mech believably). Especially if you're going by the proportions of this picture. The missiles are friggin huge!
Posted Image
As for the LRM launchers, imo the side torsos ARE the LRM launchers. Sort of the same reason why I like the Catapult's "arms", since they are just LRM launchers as well.
http://static.mwomer...chs/cplt-c1.png

If you want, you can make the excuse of the Mad Dog making room for the weapons by removing armor, since it is a bit under armored. Even in Sarna's description it says it can't stand up to heavy fire.

But hey, I'm one of those people that likes the Inner Sphere to have bulky + "primitive" technology, while the clans have more compact + unique technology. (excluding Dire Wolf. The biggest death machine in battletech should be the bulkiest thing around).

#34 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Ughh! My eyes!! You may want to fix that link :(

#35 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 29 July 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Ughh! My eyes!! You may want to fix that link ;)

The Catapult link? Yeah, it does look a bit ugly when it doesn't have the normal background behind it. Or is it bothering you that I left it as a text link? I can make it a normal image. I just didn't put the image there originally because I felt it was a little unnecessary to put the MWO catapult picture as a full picture since everyone knows what they look like, but figured I'd give a link if someone wanted to look at the little details.
http://mwomercs.com/...atapult/cplt-c1 link to the page instead (on a side note this info they display here is so pointless unless you're doing stock battles, but that's for another thread, that I won't bother making).

If it's the innards of the Mad Dog link, well I'm not sure what I can do to change that since it looks like it's working on my computer.

#36 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

The thing to remember about BT missiles is that they're actually very small; they're much closer in size & mass to shoulder-launched missiles than to the typical anti-tank missile.

Basically: The missile weights are (about) the same.
  • single LRM = (1000 kg/ton)/(120 LRMs/ton) = 8.33 kg/LRM
  • single Redeye missile = 8.3 kg (for the missile itself)
  • single (S)SRM = (1000 kg/ton)/(100 SRMs/ton) = 10.00 kg/(S)SRM
  • single Stinger missile = 10.1 kg (for the missile itself)
Moreover, Wolves on the Border mentions the Catapult's LRMs as being 75mm in diameter ("Even before the Catapult had straightened, Armstrong loosed a flight of 75mm rockets from the paired launchers mounted on the back of the 'Mech's carapace" - source); both the Redeye & Stinger are 70mm in diameter.

MWO LRMs are actually substantially lighter (and possibly smaller) than the TT LRMs; (1000 kg/ton)/(180 LRMs/ton) = 5.56 kg/LRM for MWO, versus 8.33 kg/LRM for TT (making MWO LRMs ~33% lighter than TT LRMs).

For comparison, the AGM-114 Hellfire anti-tank missile comes in at 45 to 49 kg (e.g. 5-6 times the mass of the typical LRM), depending on the exact variant.
Even the UK's new "Lightweight Multirole Missile" weighs in at 13 kg (more than 50% heavier than a TT LRM) & has a diameter of 76mm.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 29 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#37 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Make it as gangly and small as possible like oddjob.

#38 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 July 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

As long as they don't use the MW4 horrid version I am fine. That version was SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bulky and bad.

I Know right!? Most remakes of alot of the mechs past like Mechcommander 1 are pretty horrid looking.

#39 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 29 July 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'll be honest, I have a hard time imagining how hundreds/thousands of missiles fit into any mech, doesn't matter how bulky/huge it is (much less how they move through the mech believably). Especially if you're going by the proportions of this picture. The missiles are friggin huge!
Posted Image
As for the LRM launchers, imo the side torsos ARE the LRM launchers. Sort of the same reason why I like the Catapult's "arms", since they are just LRM launchers as well.
http://static.mwomer...chs/cplt-c1.png

If you want, you can make the excuse of the Mad Dog making room for the weapons by removing armor, since it is a bit under armored. Even in Sarna's description it says it can't stand up to heavy fire.

But hey, I'm one of those people that likes the Inner Sphere to have bulky + "primitive" technology, while the clans have more compact + unique technology. (excluding Dire Wolf. The biggest death machine in battletech should be the bulkiest thing around).

View PostStrum Wealh, on 29 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

The thing to remember about BT missiles is that they're actually very small; they're much closer in size & mass to shoulder-launched missiles than to the typical anti-tank missile.

Interesting stuff Strum! Usually diagrams and drawings show the missiles very big, as they are in MWO and all the other games. If they were so small it may have more sense having a thousand of them stored in an ammo bin!

If you look, however, at the cutaways, you have the impression that this is where space magic comes into play, as it looks like there is not even enough room for a single reload :\

Posted Image

#40 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 29 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Basically: The missile weights are (about) the same.
  • single LRM = (1000 kg/ton)/(120 LRMs/ton) = 8.33 kg/LRM
  • single Redeye missile = 8.3 kg (for the missile itself)
  • single (S)SRM = (1000 kg/ton)/(100 SRMs/ton) = 10.00 kg/(S)SRM
  • single Stinger missile = 10.1 kg (for the missile itself)
Moreover, Wolves on the Border mentions the Catapult's LRMs as being 75mm in diameter ("Even before the Catapult had straightened, Armstrong loosed a flight of 75mm rockets from the paired launchers mounted on the back of the 'Mech's carapace" - source); both the Redeye & Stinger are 70mm in diameter.

MWO LRMs are actually substantially lighter (and possibly smaller) than the TT LRMs; (1000 kg/ton)/(180 LRMs/ton) = 5.56 kg/LRM for MWO, versus 8.33 kg/LRM for TT (making MWO LRMs ~33% lighter than TT LRMs).

For comparison, the AGM-114 Hellfire anti-tank missile comes in at 45 to 49 kg (e.g. 5-6 times the mass of the typical LRM), depending on the exact variant.
Even the UK's new "Lightweight Multirole Missile" weighs in at 13 kg (more than 50% heavier than a TT LRM) & has a diameter of 76mm.

Problem is that the LRMs don't really look that small in game (then again I never get a good look at something traveling that fast, and with all smoke everywhere). Also either the tubes are larger than they need to be, or the missles are very short when you look at the model of a mech.
Otherwise like Cycloner said (which why I also said "especially if you go by the picture"). I did enjoy reading everything in your post though. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users