Should I Replace My Hbk-4H

help

30 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

I used to do well with my HBK-4H on my old account i recently joined again post clan and keep getting smashed , should i replace it and what with?

#2 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well, that's a question without an easy answer. My first 'mech was the 4H, and I feel your pain. In today's world of Victors meta-whales and "shawks" the Hunchback chassis is hardly optimal. To be fair though, medium 'mechs could be considered hard mode anyway.

for appropriate advice I might need more info. For example, are you just not having fun? Then you might want to try something completely different, maybe a light mech or anything with a different play style. Are you dying too quickly? Maybe it's not the 'mech, but how you're using it. Are you looking to be more competitive? You might want to consider more of a FOTM meta build/'mech, like a Victor, Jagermech, Shadowhawk, Stalker, or Cataphract (specifically the 3D).

Give some more details and maybe the community could chime in with some better advice than I can give.

#3 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

I jusr bought a DS and its getting torn to bits by clanners hiding on terrain with zoom optics , add too the ~JJ nerd and i just dont enjoy the victor :<

#4 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

use the shadowhawk 2k or any shadowhawk best med mech there is I think

#5 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Dammit another game in the DS where im dead instantly i swear all i hear anymore is "warning incoming missile"

#6 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Well, I own the Dragon Slayer and it can work wonders. Here are two builds, the first is the Meta.

META SLAYER

The META SLAYER is designed to be able to sacrifice that whole left side as a shield, and return fire with an alpha. I found it pretty boring, but certainly still effective, many players still use this as their bread and butter

And here's what I run.

DRAGON SLAYER - "The Ripper"

Armor to taste, of course. Obviously after the nerfs to the chassis it's certainly not as OP as before, but it shouldn't be played like a medium 'mech anyway. And even Atlai that get stuck going toe to toe with clan 'mechs are in trouble. It sounds to me like the chassis may not be the problem, but maybe there's something else that's going on. Maybe how you're playing and even who you're playing against. What time are you logging on?

#7 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

HBK is still viable its all ways suffered from a need to take care of its right side unless a swing back

#8 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Around 4 - 6 gmt , could be i suck tbh

#9 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

No, That sounds about what I expected. The European players are... hardcore. I've been wrecked hard playing match after match against German teams among others. The matchmaker struggles with elo scores at odd hours of play, and GMT is not exactly a haven for 'mech players. If you want to have better luck, you might want to try logging on around 5pm EST. More players means better matchmaking and you'll be more likely to play well until your skill improves.

If you want to practice, remember that there's always the training grounds too. Sometimes I go there and practice hitting the same spot on the enemy while moving full speed. That might help. If nothing else you could take out your meta slayer and practice pop tarting.

#10 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

"The European players are... hardcore."

^ This , the same problem i have trying to casually play any multiplayer game , BF4 german/french try hards , CSGO.. pff forget it all playing the meta game.

#11 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yeah... sorry. Honestly, best advice I can give is to stick with your team and play at different times as often as you can.

#12 Taidan

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I asked the same question a couple of days ago, and was given some very good advice here: http://mwomercs.com/...ng-player-help/

I'm still running my HBK-4H regularly, but I have to be very careful what I do with it if I don't want to get my face melted right at the start of the match. Still, I managed to kill an entire Lance with it yesterday, so it can't be a complete liability.

I'm using the following build: (Courtesy of Ravennus, via Helmstif, with tweaks by Koniving) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f3a7d39250b9d4

My tactics are simple and cowardly, and I'm not proud of them, but they've swung matches more than once. There's no way you can compete at range with this build, so hang back while LRMS and PPC fire are being exchanged, and don't expose yourself unless you've got cover to dive back into.

Stick close to the biggest, nastiest buddy you can find on the battlefield, and as soon as the melee starts, dive in there and give supporting fire with that AC20, preferably from their flanks.

Use your speed to get behind the biggest, slowest Mechs and do unto them terrible, traumatic damage with everything you've got. Make them choose between ignoring the might of the Elephant gun on your shoulder, or turning their back on your new buddy and letting them do the nasty. Just be prepared to run if it all goes nipples up! (And if that happens, you've just drawn a lot of potential damage from your team, congrats for the contribution!)

It's not the most exciting playstyle for the early stages of a map, but you usually get to enjoy mopping up the enemy team later. Just don't waste your AC20 shells on smaller, faster targets, that's what the lasers are for.

There's a lot more useful info on HBK builds Here: http://mwomercs.com/...unchback-guide/

#13 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostTaidan, on 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I asked the same question a couple of days ago, and was given some very good advice here: http://mwomercs.com/...ng-player-help/

There's a lot more useful info on HBK builds Here: http://mwomercs.com/...unchback-guide/

Thanks for helping out with input. I wanted to go back and add some advice for running Hunchbacks, and you've done that perfectly. The ultimate hunchback guide is a fantastic reference and on a secondary note, you should be PROUD of your tactics. People who run the HBK deserve to be feared. Good on ya.

#14 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sorry guys but my hunch back died today , i sold it... , i lit a candle and got out my old hunchback mini and had a cry.

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 23 July 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Sorry guys but my hunch back died today , i sold it... , i lit a candle and got out my old hunchback mini and had a cry.

Sorry to hear that. Tell me you still have the 4SP at least? That baby was the best.

I personally still consider the hunchie a good medium. Especially considering how small, and nimble it is. The thing can shoot directly behind it, which only a few other mechs can match.

#16 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Sorry to hear that. Tell me you still have the 4SP at least? That baby was the best.

I personally still consider the hunchie a good medium. Especially considering how small, and nimble it is. The thing can shoot directly behind it, which only a few other mechs can match.

Oddly i have owned the P and the H , however never the SP.

#17 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

I suggest you Blackjack-it-up a bit. The high weapon mounts favor peeking over hills to pop shots off. And you can mount dual UACs or PPCs. I'd stay away from the ballistics though, but that's just me.

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 23 July 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

I suggest you Blackjack-it-up a bit. The high weapon mounts favor peeking over hills to pop shots off. And you can mount dual UACs or PPCs. I'd stay away from the ballistics though, but that's just me.

In fact, you clans slap Dual AC20s on a BJ chassis. Not for the faint of heart.

#19 NaZotH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

With no armor and 3 tons of ammo?

#20 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users