Could A Savvy Vet Recommend A Video Card?

18 replies to this topic

#1 LowRoad

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hey there,

I haven't played FPS video games in about a decade, but I've been playing MWO for a few weeks and been having a blast. Sadly my aim has been terrible. After a week or two of fiddling with my mouse I am pretty sure it's my video card affecting my aim. (Took me long enough, noob is noob)

Anyway, not knowing much about video cards and CPU bottlenecks I wanted to know what video cards some vets would recommend for my system. I can go higher end, but I realize there is a point where you would get diminishing returns, or there might be features of the card that MWO can't utilize that I'd rather not pay extra for. Here is the current system:

Processors: Intel Xeon Quad Core W3520 2.66GHz 4.8GT/s QPI HT Processor 1366pin 8MB CPU
Memory: 8GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz Memory
Video Card: nVidia Quadro FX1700 PCI Express 512MB Dual Port

I really appreciate any advice the community can give. I love the game and will keep playing even if I can't improve the play much, but I hope I can get a better experience.

All my best,

-Low

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm going to guess that even with a super fast GPU you will be bottlenecked by the older CPU and RAM.

You might be able to squeeze out a few frames by getting a more modern GPU, overclocking the CPU, and going to 16GB of RAM (64 bit OS required).

But I think you'll find by the time you pay for all that you are only a hundred bucks or so away from a new computer.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

You need an Intel Core i5 or i7, preferably a recent one with a high clock. The GPU matters little in MWO unless you use a very high resolution (2560x1600, 4K, Ultra HD). CryEngine eats CPU cycles for the most part, and your current gear is outdated in that regard.

#4 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

You need an Intel Core i5 or i7, preferably a recent one with a high clock. The GPU matters little in MWO unless you use a very high resolution (2560x1600, 4K, Ultra HD). CryEngine eats CPU cycles for the most part, and your current gear is outdated in that regard.

Indeed - a new processor would probably help a bit more.

As far as a new GPU goes, though, you'd probably be interested in something like GTX 760? Fairly low-price (in terms of GPUs) and decent performance.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

This section has people that know what they're talking about (though by luck, the guys that did respond do know a bit). I recommend asking there where people are much more 'in the know' and could even recommend places to get the card from.

Looking at what you have... You'll want to replace the Xeon processor (thank god it's not a Celeron, but just because it's a quad core doesn't mean it's as capable of handling gaming). But this should be on a "to do list" before 2016. :)

Graphics card does need replacing too. Definitely ask at the hardware section. Sometimes they're good about finding a full computer replacement for less than the cost of decent video cards/processors. Much easier than dissecting and replacing parts.

Edited by Koniving, 23 July 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#6 LowRoad

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks all for answering, I appreciate you taking the time and your thoughtful responses. I'll check out Koniving's link above for more info.

All the best,

-Low

#7 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm going to post counter to what most here have said - your CPU is fine it's the video card that is your bottleneck. While your system is a few years old, that Xeon processor is still pretty good, it's about 60% of the performance of the Intel i7 3770K that I have in my system, and MWO never uses more than 30% of my CPU running at 2550x1440 resolution, I am GPU bound with a one generation old GPU.

For about $300 you can get a card that is many times the performance of your current video card, your card was optimized for doing 3-D CAD work, not games.

This link covers all the options at various price ranges:
http://www.tomshardw...eview,3107.html

#8 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

What kind of fps are you getting now?

I went from around 25fps to 80+ with my i7 2600k@4.4ghz when I upgraded my HD3800 to a HD7800 series. In that case my gpu was definitely the bottleneck.

Not sure about the Xeon. It looks good on paper but seemed to fall behind in the modern benchmarks. I can't say if it's holding you back with MWO but it's a 5 year old cpu.
http://cpuboss.com/c...0K#performance.

#9 LowRoad

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

I was getting 12-14fps, I switched to the lowest resolution and bumped it up to about 20-22 which was a nice surprise.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Can the Intel Xeon Quad Core W3520 be overclocked, max around 4.4ghz?

Comparison chart
http://cpuboss.com/c...tel-Core-i7-920

The other component you would need to look at if purchasing a new card would be the PSU.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 July 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Can the Intel Xeon Quad Core W3520 be overclocked, max around 4.4ghz?

Probably not up from 2.6ghz. Honestly he's probably going to have to completely upgrade. There's some decent gpus around the $150 price range that would fine for most things but MWO is just so poorly optimized it takes a fairly powerful pc to get high fps.

Just from the threads I've seen over the years an i5 and a $200+ gpu seems like the recommended setup for smooth gameplay.

12-14 fps is just awful. Maybe a new gpu could get that in the 30-40 range

Edited by Sug, 24 July 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#12 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I built my comp a little over a year ago and it does 60 - 120 fps with settings on medium. i5 3570 cpu, geforce 670 gtx. Not sure how much it would cost you today.

I'd start with a video card with 2GB memory and go from there. I'd definitely plan out a budget for a new motherboard/cpu/ram and get that asap.

#13 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

moving to the hardware forums

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

buy this gtx 760 (bang for the buck)
http://www.amazon.co...IN%3DB00DKX0NBU

or
http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=
(this one is faster as its overclocked and with rebate about the same price)

buy this x5660 cpu (same speed as a fx8150 or i7 4700) just make sure your board supports it.

http://www.amazon.co...IN%3DB003EM6CJE

and buy this 600w corsair

http://www.amazon.co...wer+supply+600w

409 bucks you will have a super fast system.

You could go cheaper if you wanted but im guessing by the other forum you have this.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 25 July 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#15 LowRoad

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thank you all, I built a new system as per the general consensus and ended up with a machine that is running about 55 fps on high and ver high settings at 1900 Rez. You guys saved me a lot of time and money, thanks. The game runs like a dream, it's a whole new game really. I spent last night circling mechs and shooting targeted body parts, which was impossible before. It was awesome.

Thanks again.

-Low

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostLowRoad, on 25 July 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Thank you all, I built a new system as per the general consensus and ended up with a machine that is running about 55 fps on high and ver high settings at 1900 Rez. You guys saved me a lot of time and money, thanks. The game runs like a dream, it's a whole new game really. I spent last night circling mechs and shooting targeted body parts, which was impossible before. It was awesome.

Thanks again.

-Low

Congrats on the new system. Glad you are enjoying the game more now.

Well, don't leave us hanging. What did you end up with? Processor, Video Card?, etc

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 25 July 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#17 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostLowRoad, on 25 July 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Thanks again.

-Low

what did you go with?! dont leave us hanging!! lol

#18 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

He has so far, in both threads!!!! ROFL

#19 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hes probably 12 cans of redbull or monster deep, into the entire crysis series and bioshock series they are all so pretty.....when hes not taking caffein pills and playing 64man BF4..........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users