I Dont Get It . . .

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kram Nedgo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

I am struggling to see why any one would want any other clan mech than a Timber Wolf .... Granted I have a set of nova's but the hard point limitation is really starting to nag at me .... Please someone make me feel good about spending $50 on a second rate mech ....

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Stormcrow. Its actually the best of the clan mechs. Bet you didn't know that.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Are you talking about the Nova? Or another mech?

Some visual pleasure. Including killing a Timber Wolf in a Nova.
Spoiler

#4 Fyrerock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I feel the same about my warhawk, the hardpoint limitations make it not worth using.

#5 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

I love my Nova to death. Admittedly though, I never use the ballistic hardpoints, and have the exact same build on every chassis. (The only one I can use effectively) You'll have to get use to em, but imo they are among the top clan mechs currently released.

A good build:
5x ERML in Left Arm
6x ERSL in Right Arm
[You can also drop some armor, drop an ERSL, and add another ERML for some extra punch]

Ballistics, other than MGs, really take up way too much space to be viable on the Nova. You can have more firepower anyway with energy weapons.

Heat efficient, never alpha, and high damage yield if piloted right.
Keep in mind hill-humping will NOT work with the ape arms on this thing. You have to poke your arms around corners and pop shots off. Firing the whole set of MLs or SLs is fine as long as you don't follow one group with another.

Once you get used to firing around corners instead of over hills, master the chassis, and figure out your favorite weapon groups, the Nova really is a lot of fun, even on Terra Therma. I consistently get around 500+ damage with it when playing smart, and I'm by no means an awesome pilot. (Because I don't own an awesome, get it!)

Edited by xeromynd, 23 July 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Edit: I cannot stress this enough. The Nova REQUIRES that you disable armlock to be useful. Much like a Dragon, it's advised to have strong knowledge and skill in using the arms independent of the body. You'll never be happy with it until you do.

8 ER ML. This ultra basic build is Extremely heat efficient, and every single blow is 28 damage. Set it up as two basic firing groups (left and right).

10 ER SL and 4 MGs, once enhanced with the targeting computer, will have identical range. Each shot is 24 damage, and the illusion of not being as long range (they can't know you have a targeting computer) will lull them into a false sense of safety at medium range. It's a little hot in comparison, so if you get close use the MGs.

1 ER PPC, 1 ER LL, 6 ER SL. Rather than specialized, this mech has versatility to suit every situation. It's very important to use each weapon type separately and to use the ER PPC in moderation. At close range when possible just go to the ER SL.

Good luck!

Edited by Koniving, 23 July 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#7 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostKram Nedgo, on 23 July 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

.... Please someone make me feel good about spending $50 on a second rate mech ....

HAHAHAHAHA.........sorry............no, not really

#8 Pekiti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostKram Nedgo, on 23 July 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

I am struggling to see why any one would want any other clan mech than a Timber Wolf

Kit Fox - ultimate support mech, far and away my favorite clan mech. Triple AMS, ECM, Jump Jets, good speed (not fast enough but not really critical for a support mech), can fit it up with Lasers/PPCs, MGs, or Missiles. Paint it green and it looks like a frog, which earns you points with my granddaughter, too. Not the best mech for PUG/solo drops, but in a regular team, it shines.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I play in a group; with strict 3/3/3/3, the Heavy weight class tends to fill up quickly, so I tend to fill in the other three non-Heavy weight classes. Not everyone can be a Heavy all the time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users