Curious What I Can Do To Get A Little More Out Of My Rig

22 replies to this topic

#1 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I thought my computer(desktop) pretty decent but i seem to have pretty bad frame issues in MWO and a few other games. Just curious what the resident techs see glaringly wrong with my build

Specs
cpu Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
ram 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
MotherBoard ASRock Z77M
Video card M190VA (1360x768@60Hz) 767MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (NVIDIA)

Normally wouldn't bother people with it but it's frustarting

Edited by Brunevde, 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

if your running this game on a laptop then get a good cooling pad and turn off turbo boost, turbo boost cause issues with MWO. their was a post about it a year or so ago. How I read that is it starts to shut down cores to boost 1 core causing overall performance in mwo to drop drastically, this has helped others having fps issues

Also see this thread it may help.

Edited by Shamous13, 23 July 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Running on a desktop. I'll edit the original thanks

#4 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Pretty sure that's not a laptop...

Some faster RAM and a bump up in GPU technology would help a pretty decent amount. If that CPU isn't a K-series sku, your overclocking options are limited to at best a few MhZ bump on the bclk, which in the long run isn't very good for that CPU (SB/IB hate bclk OCing) and isn't going to net much more performance anyway.

If you're not looking to spend a ton, a GTX 750Ti might be worth it. For RAM, beyond 1600MhZ isn't going to show much more improvement, but it can't hurt to go with faster (I'm running DDR3-1866). The current speed yours is running at (effectively 1333) is holding you back by 1-2FPS probably.

Barring hardware purchases, I'd make sure your DX9 is up-to-date as well as your GPU drivers, and consider looking into tweaking the graphics config via config file mods (search the forum).

#5 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Awesome looking into all that now, Thanks a bunch

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Actually, you do need to install Directx 9c. Vista/7/8 comes with DX 10/11 and a base version of dx9. The issue is that MS does not include all the latest modules for dx 9c, nor are the DX10/11 backward compatible. Even a fresh XP install will require DX 9c installation for those updated modules.

DX 10/11 and DX 9c are located in their own subfolders, they do not overwrite each other. Programs and games are set to locate the necessary files from their respective location.

MWO currently utilizes ONLY dx9c files, thus the need to install dx 9c with either the dxsetup.exe (small file that downloads everything from MS) or the redistribution file (large file but useful if installing on several machines or need to reinstall to replace possible corrupted files).

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

Or

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You will notice that it supports more than just XP.

Most games that come on a CD/DVD will also have a setup to install the updated modules by using one of the paths. For other games that are download only, they direct you to MS to download (using that site's bandwidth instead of their own) and perform the installation, from a trusted source ( hehe Microsoft..: )

next This may sound weird but give this a try too. have you checked the power settings for your network adapter and other hardware? their was a Microsoft update that changed the settings to power saving mode. it did some wonky stuff to my wife's laptop. Go in to Device manager, Right click on your network adapter, select properties, go to power management tab, and turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check all of the settings for your other hardware ie graph card . The power settings have fixed a few different problems. good old Microsoft strikes again. :)

do you have a custom user cfg set up for mwo? start out with the following. turning off the cockpit glass is an instant 5+fps gain. turning off the grain makes things look better cl_fov is the variable for your feild of view play with it. each time you edit the file you need to restart mwo.

cl_fov = 85
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
r_DepthOfField=1
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

Edeit. also in game settings turn off damage glow, and turn shadows and particle effects to low.

Edited by Shamous13, 23 July 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#7 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'd have to agree that ram speed, while nice as fast as you can get...isn't your issue. If you have the slots and extra cash after tending to your biggest problem, then I'd double the ram at same speed for headroom. Of course that would be after addressing the video card issue. Even at that resolution, this game can be demanding depending on settings ingame, forced driver settings, etc., but the worst of it is the memory limitation. The more shaders these guys layer onto the game(cockpit glass for instance), and if you happen to like decent textures in game, would both benefit from a card with a bit more memory than that, as long as the bandwidth is decent.

Honestly, although I really like the 750ti cards from a price/power/performance stance, and older gtx660 would give you more fps on higher settings. Bear in mind, it also uses a bunch more power to do so, so make sure you have a decent 500w or above unit to feed it. These cards are priced slightly higher than the 750ti, but worth it if frames vs new features is your goal.

#8 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Shamous- i have direct X 9 on and running.
Henchman- So grabbing a better graphics card is gonna be the biggest gain? And sadly this MB only has 2 ram slots or i'd have 16 gigs in it. I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks if it will last me awhile, been meaning to upgrade anyway. Honestly thinking about just building a new comp from scratch sometime soon

#9 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Don't worry about memory then, I run with 8 on this machine @1600 and it's fine, I have 8 on my HTPC @1333 and that's fine as well. Having more video memory never hurts as long as you aren't dropping it's bandwidth too much to get there. I don't know how much your budget is, so it's tough to nail a recommendation down, but a budget conscious friend just asked what to get, and I had the same dilemma, features vs raw power and cost. We ended up getting him a Gigabyte gtx660 with 3g of ram, which has an extra 1g over the stock cards. It ended up under $180, but it had more of what he wanted vs a cheaper 750ti that would save him in power over the long run. I'll PM you the link to the card so you can see and compare yourself. GPU boss is decent for a quick glance over for spec comparisons on the two cards. On average though, the 660 has more power at higher settings than a 750ti will, and will cost around 30 bucks more even though it's the older line(by no means lesser though, it's a two generation upgrade to your current card).

Also, just a thought...you bought 1333 ram right? If you bought 1600 and it's running 1333, that's a default and you would need to set your memory profile in UEFI to use the intel XMP profile and save & reboot. Again, not sure of the system setup/knowledge level so I figured I'd ask.

Edited by Henchman 24, 23 July 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#10 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

The best thing you can do there, is get a new video card. Processor is solid, RAM plenty.

Some guys made good suggestions for a GPU already, i would add that an AMD R9 270x you can pick up for about what you want to spend. DO get a card with at least 2GB of DDR5 VRAM, 3 GB or even 4 being the best choice here.

Having 16GB of RAM will not improve your performance here unless you are running loads of stuff in the background that is eating up all the memory. 666MHz for Ram seems slow, in fact I didn't know they made DDR3 that slow. so putting in faster RAM will help but don't expect a huge FPS gain just from faster RAM.

Couple of decently priced GPU options:

http://www.ncixus.co...anufacture=ASUS
http://www.ncixus.co...anufacture=ASUS

If you do build another comp from scratch, you can move this new video card over no problem. Your processor is good though so I don't see too much of a need to upgrade yet. Chances are if you wanted, you could find a 3rd gen Intel i7 to drop in there for a decent price.

Another thing... how long since you've done a nice fresh Windows install? That can work wonders.

Also, check that you are running Windows 64 bit and not 32 bit. You can do this by right clicking my computer and selecting properties. This is a big deal because if you are only running 32 bit then you are only using half of that RAM.

View PostShamous13, on 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

do you have a custom user cfg set up for mwo? start out with the following. turning off the cockpit glass is an instant 5+fps gain. turning off the grain makes things look better cl_fov is the variable for your feild of view play with it. each time you edit the file you need to restart mwo.

cl_fov = 85
r_DepthOfField=1
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

Edeit. also in game settings turn off damage glow, and turn shadows and particle effects to low.

Keep in mind the default FOV is 60, and going higher will drop your FPS.
Setting these:
r_DepthOfField=0
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

like so, should result in some FPS gains though how much I can't say.

Edited by cSand, 23 July 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#11 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

cSand speaks the truth on a fresh windows install btw...and on that note, if load times are a pain for you, consider a decent SSD as your main drive with your current as a storage drive. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, physical drives can be a serious performance bottleneck, and I don't care if it's a raptor or a WD blue...they don't come close to a decent SSD in terms of overall windows performance, not to mention load times for games.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Love my SSD

"Hey guys gotta reboot here"

20 seconds later

"Whats up"

"thought you were rebooting?"

"Just did, let's GO ALREADY"

#13 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

you could also try adding this to your user cfg. to get you going prior to upgrading

View PostGoose, on 30 March 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

sys_budget_fps = 30
sys_MaxFPS = 30
sys_spec_physics = 1
r_UsePOM = 0
r_silhouettePOM = 0
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
sys_budget_videomem = X
Where "X" is the amount of RAM on your video card.

Keep you Particles, Shadows, and Environment down at low; You might be able to bump all the others to medium; Turn off the Damage Glow, but you can keep the PostAA.

DX11 was supposed to unload the CPU, but if it's done so for anybody, they ain't said so …

if you see that you are constantly hitting 30fps then increase these two lines by 5 if your still pegging 35fps then add 5 again and so on.

sys_budget_fps = 35
sys_MaxFPS = 35

#14 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Your Z77 chipset allows you to run the cpu 400 Mhz over stock speed, since mwo is always cpu limited in a brawl that's a little over 10% more fps.

also, setting the windows power plan to "high performance" might help, this will prevent the cpu from going into low power states while gaming.

Edited by Flapdrol, 24 July 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#15 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

Whatever you do land higher than the performance of a 750Ti, Good lord Why are people suggesting this 128-bit GDDR5 card.........not for MWO.......its plain and simple not enoughpower..........heck for 228$ partpicker build site offered me a 280 3gb RADEON that would smoke all offerings under 250$ prce point of GTX760 and offer higher performance.

#16 Red Plague

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationkapuskasing

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

clean your pc of crap .. to many apps running in the background . you may have some spyweres virus slowing down your pc ..
run disk defrag ... you drive may be too full .. lower game resolution

#17 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

Is that the non-K version? I had posted about OC but realized it was a non-K. I use the I5-3570k OC 4.2ghz /Asrock.

What PSU are you using? Brand/model/wattage

For comparison, my GPU is an ATI 7950. With Vsync off I run 90ish FPS tops, dropping to 55ish fps during heavy combat, but I keep Vsync on to keep a more steady 60fps. The huge drop/yoyo effect in FPS gives me a headache.

#18 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

I'll echo the others. Other than getting a new MB, CPU, RAM, Power Supply, and GFX card, you can get an SSD which may eke out a nice 25% or more gaming speed boost. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything else without changing everything else. It sounds like you have that setup pretty well leveraged.

#19 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 26 July 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

I'll echo the others. Other than getting a new MB, CPU, RAM, Power Supply, and GFX card, you can get an SSD which may eke out a nice 25% or more gaming speed boost. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything else without changing everything else. It sounds like you have that setup pretty well leveraged.

What? :)

Aside from upgrading to a gtx760 2gb, R8 270X or higher Think of GTX760 as "SLI GTX460" as it is 100%more powerful maybe jamming 8gb of 1866mhz DDR3 with tight timings to ask more from that beauty CPU. There isnt noticiable difference in any CPU bound game from HDD to SSD frames per seconds wise.....This is a myth, sure loading times and menu interactions are drastically enhanced but no difference in game that I notice.....

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

My mind has been blown in this thread.

CPU - Fine
RAM - Upgrade to 8GB 1600mhz+
GPU - Upgrade GTX 760 / R8 270x or higher.

PSU if required for the new GPU and that's that.

SSD will improve nothing except load times ( worthy upgrade just for that, but it wont impact your FPS)

Edited by DV McKenna, 27 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users