9 replies to this topic

#1 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Whats the max range to lock target on something you scout?

played my lights alot lately and its annoying when you clearly see a mech way over there and can't lock on to it and they clearly see you and shoot back with their long range guns and even LRMs so somehow they can lock .

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Regular?
800 meters.
With Beagle, it's something like 25% more.
Command console, kinda gives you a bit more.
Combine the two and you'd get well beyond the range of LRMs.

Don't forget there can be a sneaky little dirtbag standing behind you.

#3 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thank you!

TBH I should know this alrady but only played sporadic since the beta and google search gave me nothing :D

-----------

Hmm.... Streak refuse to lock on to ECM targets.. I thought it would just take longer.....

Edited by Revener, 23 July 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#4 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I swear though it is messed up. there are plenty of times a single mech is less than 800m, in clear view and not under ECM and I can't target it.

is it really 800m for all mechs?

#5 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

800m base for all 'mechs, and improvements to sensor range are additive, not multiplicative. I run Sensor Range II and a Beagle on my Raven, and can lock targets out to 1,200 meters. Either of those alone would give me a total sensor range of 1,000 meters.

@bigbacon: Yes. There are several things that could cause you to be unable to target a 'mech that is visible and in sensor range. The target may have a friendly ECM nearby but not visible to you, and at longer ranges it's also possible that the terrain is not rendering correctly, and there's actually something solid in the way that you simply can't see.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostRevener, on 23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Hmm.... Streak refuse to lock on to ECM targets.. I thought it would just take longer.....

PGI didn't stick with the lore here.
Equip a BAP (something ECM is supposed to counter but for some reason counters ECM) and streaks will work just fine.

#7 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

No space for BAP on my 3 streak Commando....

#8 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostStraylight, on 23 July 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

at longer ranges it's also possible that the terrain is not rendering correctly, and there's actually something solid in the way that you simply can't see.

Basically river city...

#9 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Base sensor range is 800m.

Beagle adds 200m to that, and cuts through ECM but only for purposes of you locking a target out to 180m (where ECM reaches out 200m from its broadcaster). Other people can piggyback your target lock within that ECM-cutting range, but cannot target lock things you haven't got locked, even if they're within your Probe's effective range. It's also worth noting that your Beagle will only cut through one layer of ECM- if your selected target is under the aegis of two ECM fields or more, you're sunk anyway.

Sensor Range module adds 200m to the base sensor range and if you have an Active Probe, it will increase the effective range of that to 220m.

Command Console applies a % increase to sensor range, although what that increase is I cannot find anywhere. So the absolute maximum target locking range (at which point allies can piggyback your target lock for info and LRM bombardment) is something over 1200m, but you have to have certain equipment and module investments to reach that point.

ECM bubbles will prevent locking, as will certain terrain obscurements- whether it's terrain that your game isn't showing you because of distance, or terrain that just happens to be blocking enough of the 'mech to prevent your lock-on.

#10 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

These days my 1205m sensor lock on my Catapult doesn't get much work due to the preponderance of ECM. Helps occasionally, but with C-ERLL+TC4 doing full damage at that range, its too dangerous to try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users