#21 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Noisy cricket Cicadas can be fun, I don't own one myself but I do really enjoy my Kit Fox which, at 107kph, is surprisingly similar in function. Kit Fox will be available for C-bill purchase in a few weeks and if you like the Cicada you may enjoy the Kit Fox as well

#22 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 July 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

(Example using JM6-DD with 2 Gauss Rifles, 2 Tags and 4 MGs.

Why run 2 tags koniving? Do they stack?

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostSon of the Flood, on 24 July 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Why run 2 tags koniving? Do they stack?

Corner shooting.
Lets me know exactly when my left or right arm are okay to shoot around the corner without wasting the shot. Also good for detecting convergence issues. Every player should use 'em on maps when they first come out. You'd be amazed how many problems you could find.

For example the pillars on the underside (of Crimson Strait) have a lot of invisible walls which lead to lots of complaints about bad hit detection (when it's not the server's fault but the map's).
Posted Image
100% of the buildings have HUGE invisible walls. A single tag would never catch this problem.

(And no they don't stack.)

Edited by Koniving, 24 July 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#24 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

makes sense, thanks!

#25 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 July 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Given the desire for high burst damage, any combination of the following:

Gauss Rifles.
PPCs.
ER PPCs (if you prefer to stay even further back at the cost of firing less frequently).
AC/5s (combines well with PPCs and ER PPCs).

Typical burst damages:
2x Gauss Rifles: 30.
2x (Inner Sphere) PPC or ER PPC: 20.
3x (warning this comes with a penalty) PPCs: 30.
2x PPC + AC/5: 25.
2x PPC + AC/10: 30.
2x PPC + 2x AC/5: 30.
2x PPC + 3 AC/5: 45 (Banshee 3E only; doable with Muromets but difficult to be cool with ammo).
4x AC/5: 20 damage (Jagermechs, fast firing rate makes this very dangerous and at decent ranges).
3x AC/2: 6 damage (but you'll nail in 36 in the time it takes most PPC weapons to recharge because of how fast it refires).

I use 5 AC2's lol

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 24 July 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I use 5 AC2's lol

You can, but senselessly MWO punishes it with lots of extra heat.

#27 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Greeting All,
IraqiWalker is right, my CTF4x isn't elite yet, am playing w/the 4x until I get 10mill then I will get the 3rd one. Kon, I took your advice and put 2x UAC5 and 2x a/c 2s on and did about 7 matches. Wow! was not concerned with doing raw dam, but "spreading the love" around, was on River City, popped out from behind a building and popped the crap out of 2 mechs (1 hvy, 1lt), saw the hvy go down lost track of the light, but found out it was a kill too, Frozen Alpine too, took down a hvy pretty quick and pounded the crap outta a Dire Wolf (some previous dam), and finally took him too. You don't seem to do a lot of dam going by the numbers, but, as someone said, I can put more lead (dam) down range in the time it takes a ppc to recharge. was doing more savior kills and component dam too.

I put 1 2 and 1 5 paired on each button, a 1/2 punch and have yet to over heat....jamming is still annoying tho.....;>
Thanks Kon.

War Kitten
"I asked the clerk if she had anything I could put under my coasters...."

#28 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 July 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Other than the lack of armor your build is actually a pretty cool idea. I've already installed it on my 3M for a spin.

Could you post a vid? And would you suggest it as a starter mech?

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

View Postmarshrover, on 25 July 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

Could you post a vid? And would you suggest it as a starter mech?

I can suggest it as a starter mech for yourself as it fits your intended playstyle. It works pretty well Would I recommend it to just anyone? Probably not unless they're looking to be a stealthy sharpshooter. Some players have difficulty with fast mechs. Some have difficulty with fragile mechs. Some just have difficulty with aiming. And someone help players that have difficulties with moving and shooting.

Typically players want enough armor to tank some shots, enough firepower to try and kill something, and just enough speed to escape when they make a mistake... a nearly impossible order. And of course what works for one player won't work for another. The reason Hunchbacks in the past and Shadowhawks now are recommended is they can fulfill a lot of playstyles with ease. I don't think either one of them would fulfill what you want to do, however.

I'll try to get a vid up today (had to go to bed early last night to get to work at 5 AM today. Kept complaining about not having a job...now I got one and hate it. :) Ah well, gotta live right?). Last night though it was pretty fun. I built it into a Cicada B (sold my 3M ages ago. 126 mechs after all, need space as I only got 3 bays left).

#30 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I chose 3M for the ECM. I hate getting LRM'd.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Nothing wrong with that. :) ECM makes it easier to get used to the game in a way. Later on you can worry about dealing with incoming missiles (thankfully Cicadas are good about spreading LRM damage).

View PostWar Kitten, on 24 July 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

I put 1 2 and 1 5 paired on each button, a 1/2 punch and have yet to over heat....jamming is still annoying tho.....;>
Thanks Kon.

"Hold" the button instead of tap, you won't jam (but the UAC/5 will fire like a regular AC/5). Tap for emergencies and rapid kills.

#32 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

*Bump*

View PostKoniving, on 25 July 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

I'll try to get a vid up today

When's that vid coming up Koniving?

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

View Postmarshrover, on 27 July 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

*Bump*
When's that vid coming up Koniving?

I haven't been able to finish the build yet. It's partially complete but I lack either one of the engines. The in-betweener I made is lacking because I'm space poor and yesterday my luck was absolutely awful. It didn't matter what I ran, if I played solo the game went either way (one match went so well I never even saw an enemy as they all died before I could get there and I made almost nothing). If I played with my friends, most of the matches were complete cluster-ducks. I finally went meta and I had better luck but suddenly my team was so good again that I'd almost never get any action for myself.

All in all I didn't make much. So I'm grinding out the cbills today. (One problem about having so many mechs is you'll always be perpetually poor).

#34 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

I thought one build used the stock engine.

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

View Postmarshrover, on 27 July 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

You do realize how long I've owned the Cicadas, right? They came out almost two years ago. :)

Parts get stripped, sold, swapped out, etc. Plus it's a stock engine for the 3M, but the one I have left is a 2B (which the stock would have been a standard 320 instead of the XL 320).

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

View Postmarshrover, on 27 July 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Mkay, after thoroughly testing it out.. You do NOT want to have 2 ER Larges on the mech. Instead favor just one PPC and one ER Large (or even an ER PPC and an ER Large) and the much bigger engine.

Vids are being put together and uploaded.
Also made a similar-esque Raven that can tank like a boss.

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I personally would suggest a Raven over a Cicada for that job. Or keep the Cicada at the XL 320 engine. Do not slap in the second ER LL and just go with what you have. An ER PPC (for greater range and close range ability) and 1 ER LL will do far better than the results I had, especially if you have ECM.

#38 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I chose the Cicada because it has more armour but still has ECM.
Also, thanks for the vids!

#39 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

Of course, if you find life painful on the path of righteousness, there is always the dark side:

And then, there is the very heart of darkness:

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 31 July 2014 - 03:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users