#41 Kontraxe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Free Québec

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

hi, here is my 2 cents :

I run MWO on max specs with respectable FPS on a AMD Phenom X4 965 (yup, that is a 90$ processor) and a R9 270X I got last january (that is a 200$ video card).

My secret is the SSD : you NEED an SSD in your system, that will help more than any Video card or ram. The effect of an SSD on your overall performence is more beneficial than anything else (given that you will get at respectable video card).

Also, before thinking specic rig : are you using multiple monitors? That is, in my humble opinion, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to consider. Why? You'll need three 200,00$ videocards to run 3 screens with correct resolution, hence special PSU, comprehensive Motherboard, room and correct cooling for all that... So take my word for it and begin by choosing if you go multiscreen or not.

If you decide to go single screen, a simple graphic card upgrade will help tremendously, dont go over i5 as the upper functions of the i7 dont seem to be sollicited that much for gaming, use an SSD, and 8GB ram and you'll be fine.

If you decide to go triple screens, then you are in a world of shopping : you'll need a mobo with dual or triple lanes that are fast enough to use the cards.

Msg me in private if you want me to give you a more spefic list of harware.

#42 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

The SSD claim has been made many times, and is not correct for systems of otherwise adequate performance (I can't preclude that there is some setup for which it might help, say RAM-starved systems, but that's neither here nor there)

As per my own testing, when comparing a Samsung 840 EVO to a WD Caviar Green, a very fast SSD compared to a very slow HDD, it made no difference, on a highish end system at least (3570k@4.2ghz, 7970GE, 8GB DDR3-1600)

Also, computer advice should be given -and sought- on open forums where it can be critiqued, no matter who is giving it.

Edited by Catamount, 25 July 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#43 Kontraxe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Free Québec

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Catamount, I've installed SSD's in many systems and the upgrade in performence is always spectacular. I've seen it firsthand. and by that I mean overall system performence. I can run FF14 at full graphics and MWO at the same time, alt-tab between them at will and in a flash... on a 90$ processor and a relatively cheap mobo.

As for the multi-monitor thing, I still believe it is the proverbial fork in the road when choosing components.

#44 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

#45 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

"Seen" and -at least somewhat- scientifically measured, accounting reasonably completely for extraneous variables, are two very, very different things. With all due respect, people "see" faith healing and alien spaceships all the time.

There is absolutely no mechanism, whatsoever, by which a storage upgrade should influence framerates on any otherwise adequately equipped system, and sure enough, when examined experimentally, that's the result that's obtained.

Edited by Catamount, 25 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#46 stoph

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

MWO is very processor heavy. A new vid card will definitely improve performance but you will still bottle neck on the CPU. I would upgrade the system. MWO seems to play better on the intel chipset I5 or I7, yes i know some AMD users who get good frame rates. but there are a ton of us wh have the same problems getting good FPS. I built a new AMD rig which should be able to MWO on max settings and I get sub par performance, just so people know my setup. (AMD FX8320, Asrock Fata1ty 990FX MB, 8 gigs 1600 DDR3, R9 270 vid card.) I get sub 30 fps when in action on high/medium settings. From all the research I've done the Intel Chipset is just a better performer as far as MWO is concerned.

If I had had $1500 to build my system I would have had to have changed my shorts I would have been so excited. Mine was around $700 with a new case, fans, and HDD.

#47 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostKontraxe, on 25 July 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

Catamount, I've installed SSD's in many systems and the upgrade in performence is always spectacular. I've seen it firsthand. and by that I mean overall system performence. I can run FF14 at full graphics and MWO at the same time, alt-tab between them at will and in a flash... on a 90$ processor and a relatively cheap mobo.

As for the multi-monitor thing, I still believe it is the proverbial fork in the road when choosing components.

Sorry but your wrong here.
A SSD is a great upgrade for overall loading and system speed up, it will not give you any significant upgrade in Frames per second, it just wont.
FPS is down to CPU/GPU depending on game but mostly a combination of both, and to a lesser extent RAM.

And to run MWO on 3 screens at 30+ FPS all you need is a GTX 670 or equivalent and a solid processor I5 2500k+ ( and i can tell you this for fact because that's what i ran my three screens on before i moved to a Titan)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users