Is Factions And Earth Nations

22 replies to this topic

#21 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

And yeah theres some definite Austrian influences in the Lyran lore, thats why he's seeing the Holy Roman Empire in it.

Comstar really represents the HRE. Which is all thats left of the 'church' so to speak, the emperor ie star lord, hasnt been around for hundreds of years.

The lore in the btech universe has its roots in history, but then quickly forges its own path, mostly because so many people have picked up the IP and ran with it that it doesnt bear any resembelence to actual historical paths. Basically all the history thats based on actual human history, stops around 2600 or whenever the star lord gets assassinated and the empire crumbles.

The lore wasnt originally intended to "grow"...there wasnt ever supposed to be an ER anything, or clans, or books, etc. That all was added because it was successful, and then because so many people have held the IP and expanded it.

The clans gave people like Stackpole an excuse to "bring it back to the lore" and try and reinstitute those old axioms where it was based on actual human events.

The clans of course being a great way to talk about the Mongol horde (the various white, blue, golden hordes, Timur and his brothers, etc) and their threatening of the catholic and orthodox worlds. And you get all the obligatory cossacks like Kerensky. (the general who led the White revolution against the Reds in Russia before the soviet union was fully established)

Of course now its all an amalgamation, but I think part of the draw is that the lore keeps growing exponentially. (theyre actually up the 3080s or something?) I kind of tuned out around the clans as far as lore goes however. Sort of a purist. But its still neat.

#22 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

Also I think people keep misunderstanding how the governments operate or at least how I think the FASA guys envisioned it.

The idea of any of the 'factions' being 'nations' is really not the right word I believe.

This is more medieval than our current modern world, that is bound by nationalism, and not religion, or even necessarily culture. In the case of say England in the time of House Tudor...or the Hapsburgs, Romanovs, or any of the other large houses that controlled what today we'd consider 'nations', were really more of confederacy by divine right. House Tudor cant just go to Connacht and tell the Earl what to do. He can try...with mixed results...but ultimately theres an internal diplomacy and lack of unity in these kinds of systems.

I think the FASA guys intended that to be the case here as well. House Kurita, isnt the Draconis Combine, and the Draconis Combine isnt House Kurita...there are any number of Houses in each 'factions' space. Many internal divisions, and any vassals, or planets owned by other houses, or even family members, arent an integral modern nation, but factionilized and balkanized even within their own great de jure kingdoms.

Maybe im reading into it...but thats how it seemed to me, right up until the books started to roll out and entire factions were able to mobilize and no one but lead characters like Kai Allard, or Victor Davion mattered...House Davion never negotiated with other houses, earls, lords, etc....they just did whatever they wanted with absolute authority.

Im not sure that was the intention.

Just the idea of a House ruling a Kingdom, implies to me, that other houses are vying for a throne here. That sovereignty exists down to the planet or even city basis, and allegiance is given via fealty and swearing to a house your vassalship. That its impressive these houses have maintained control, but another family is sitting there waiting for you to die with no heirs.

Edited by KraftySOT, 14 September 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#23 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

My thoughts are it's mostly a reference to medieval europe/china/japan rather then a future representation.

Fed Com - obviously the British Kingdom
Lyran Commonwealth- Holy Roman Empire (they had an alliance with Britain till Henry the 8th)
FWL- Byzantine empire
Draconis Combine- Feudal Japan
Cap Confederation- China during the Liao dynasty
FRR- Vikings/ Swedish and Danish kingdoms
The Clans- The various Germanic barbarians clan wolf is probably a reference to the Rus (russians)
Comstar- The Papal States

Edited by Grimwill, 27 October 2014 - 07:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users