Need Help With Powersupply For New Rig

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hello guys!!! i am trying to get a new rig mostly for work, but also to run mechwarrior of course - i have made this list of parts nothing too fancy but i am sort of a noob when it comes to building a PC and i just have no clue of what powersupply i should get for this, if i buy one myself it might end up not having enough juice or something, i wanted to get something that will give me a bit of spare power so maybe in the future i can buy another GPU and go crossfire if i get the chance.

this is the stuff that i'm planning to get

processor= AMD FX-8350 - http://amzn.to/1rGi5Tx

motherboard= MSI Motherboard North Bridge AMD 970 & South Bridge AMD SB950 Chipset ATX DDR3 800 AMD AM3+ - http://amzn.to/1o0Z2M0 (just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?!)

RAM = Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) - http://amzn.to/1phrqO9 (although i am thinking about just ONE ram card with 8GB instead of 2 x 4GB - to save on slots)

GPU = Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - http://amzn.to/123h7P4 (or should i get the Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB?)

HDD = WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - http://amzn.to/1mOeuep

SSD = ADATA USA Premier Pro 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC - http://amzn.to/1pVlt8r

so i would just need a few things to finish this build and start buying the components -
first the power supply, i am afraid to get one because i really don't know what the stuff means on the specs page, 12 volts? 500 watt? 550 watt? (what's the diff.?)

then i would just need a case but i am also wondering if i should get a water cooling system for 75 bucks?? or is that not needed? the build pages i have seen so far don't do this but my friend has a great water cooler that he got on sale for $45 from $75 -

well i really hope somebody can help me!! i need to get this stuff sooner rather than later and the window i have for buying all of this is closing on me
help out a noob? :)
thanks in advance!

#2 kracked49

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 103 posts
  • LocationI quit!!!

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Sounds like you have a good basic system configured for gaming. Now I have two suggestions. First go up to 1866 on the memory and update to 16gb. Your motherboard and CPU can handle it and the improved performance will help a lot. Second get a good solid state drive of either 128gb or 256gb for your operating system. I use Windows 7 Pro. It works good and does not have all of the excessive stuff in 8 or 8.1. Now for your main question, I would go higher. I advise that you go up to a 650 to 750 modular power supply. Corsair makes a wide range of excellent power supplies. I would get a Gold rated one as they are very good with power control. As to my selection of power supplies, I use a Corsair HX 1050 in my system and I have never had a problem with it. If you have trouble finding one then look on www.newegg.com. Good luck.

Edited by kracked49, 25 July 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#3 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I have the same processor overclocked to 5.0ghz, the same vid card overclocked at 1200 core / 1600 mem, i have 16gb 1866 memory, 120gb ssd, 1tb hd,

I have this power supply http://www.newegg.co...N=-1&isNodeId=1

The 62 A 12V rail provides enough amperage for my overclocked system.

#4 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

As someone above said, you can't go wrong with Corsair power supplies. Amazing warranty too. I run a Corsair AX1200. Also don't get a full water cooling system for that cheap. The Corsair h80(?) is a pretty good closed water cooling system for the price.

#5 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Looks like a pretty good basis for a build. I would say a 650w power supply should be more than enough for that build. I run an Nvidia GTX 770 4GB with a Corsair HX650 with more than enough coverage and I think both of those GPU options use less power. (side note: I saw an article a while back, which of course I can't find now, that said that MWO tested better when played on Nvidia cards. Something to think about anyways.)

As for water cooling vs non water cooling. Are you planning to overclock the CPU? If no, the answer is no. If yes, you should definitely get an aftermarket cooler, but should it be water or fan... really a personal choice. Generally, and there arr exceptions, fan coolers are cheaper and can be just as good but usually create more noise. That said, if you intend to overclock close to the edge, I would say water is definitely the way to go as it is more efficient at higher temps on top of being quieter.

If you are interested, take a look at pcpartpicker.com. I personally love the site. You can input all of your chosen parts for your build and it will then give you a summary of things like needed power supply as well as tracking a ton of stores/websites for the cheapest place to buy. (It will also make sure that everything you have chosen is compatible)

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

#6 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Everything looks decent for a mid range system. I personally would get a 990fx board instead of the 970 if you can swing it. Better overclocking if you wish to go that route.

As for water cooling, I got my Corsair H100i on the cheap, and my CPU temps never go above 28 C even under load using the performance presets on the water block software (idle at 16 C). I am running stock speeds though on my FX-8350.

I also would recommend at least a 650W PSU. Corsair again is very good for PSUs. Actually, they're very good with cases, RAM, cooling, PSUs, everything. Too bad they don't make CPUs and boards.

#7 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostGolrar, on 25 July 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Everything looks decent for a mid range system. I personally would get a 990fx board instead of the 970 if you can swing it. Better overclocking if you wish to go that route.

As for water cooling, I got my Corsair H100i on the cheap, and my CPU temps never go above 28 C even under load using the performance presets on the water block software (idle at 16 C). I am running stock speeds though on my FX-8350.

I also would recommend at least a 650W PSU. Corsair again is very good for PSUs. Actually, they're very good with cases, RAM, cooling, PSUs, everything. Too bad they don't make CPUs and boards.

I agree that a 990 board is preferable. 970 boards are generally inferior.

The temp sensors on the majority of FX processors are flawed. They don't report correct temps, so the chances that you're actually running at 16c a pretty slim.

#8 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Here ya' go, buddy:
Posted Image

Listed parts, check; Scary overclock, check; Water cooling, check; Set of fans to go with a WAG about case choice, check.

http://www.extreme.o...n.com/PSUEngine

#9 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

Well, I am seeing core temperatures via Coretemp at 13C as I type this. ASUS AI shows a CPU temp at the waterblock of 33C using the balanced mode for the fans and pump.

#10 greywolf79

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCedar City, UT

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

I do not have a link for it, sorry... But I picked up a 700 watt generic power supply on eBay. It was brand new from a retail company. Decent shipping time, free shipping, and total cost less than $40. I have been running it almost 24/7 for the better part of 8-10 months and had no issues with the power supply.

#11 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

If you don't plan on crossfiring, a 550W would probably be fine, but grab a 650W to be safe. If you DO plan on crossfiring, I would say 750W minimum, preferably more. And please, do yourself a favour and get a modular PSU... I didn't, and wow so much regret. Can't go wrong with Corsair, great brand.

Regarding the RAM, you definitely want sticks in twos for dual-channel benefits, so one 8GB stick isn't a great idea. Those saying that getting 16GB will yield performance benefits are simply wrong - in a few years, probably, but right now it will make no difference vs 8GB.

For water cooling, I've never needed it myself but a friend bought this for your CPU and reported good results. Cheap, relatively little hassle.

Edited by Heydiddly, 26 July 2014 - 08:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users