12 replies to this topic

#1 Ondeth

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

I'm not new but by no means a "good" player. I currently own 6 mech, 1 light, 1 assault, and the rest medium to include a Yen lo wang. The load outs I run are short to medium range. With the way the current meta is my question is 'excludingthe clan what is a good mech/variant/weight class with an all around load out?'

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

What you need to work on is actually curbing your urge to engage your opponents quickly. Bide your time, hide behind cover for a minute or two. Wait for a proper chance and then strike.

As for all-rounder mechs that are effective, centurions, Hunchies (especially the 4SP), Orions, and Cataphracts.

EDIT: oh, and shadowhawks.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 27 July 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#3 Ondeth

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

Lol I own the 4sp as well as cn9-al. I just feel like I get ct'd befote I get any good hits in. I suppose I can take the lrm5's ocf of the cnpal in favor of srms

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

I wonder which 6 mechs you already own, because one should focus on having "3 of a kind" in order to have access to a complete skill tree.

Every mech can have a place in the current game, and if you already own some thern you should probably work on mastering chassis you have already invested in. In some cases it's the tactic that makes or breaks a mech, not it's hardpoints. A Yen Lo Wang caught alone is easily disarmed, but a Yen Lo Wang flanking you that didn't know was there until after you've engaged an enemy is a different story. A good brawler is about being in the right place at the right time.

A belly full of SRMs and a fast engine can do a lot of damage. If you're getting CT'd too quickly thern you are probably not torso twisting enough; don't stare at your enemy while your weapons are in coolown, fire and twist away to make them either hold their fire ro have to shoot into your arms and sides. The Centurions have a big left arm with shield flanges, use it to catch incoming fire.

That said, if you want a little more meta-compliant, try the trial Shadowhawk with PPC/2xAC5 and see how it works out for you.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 27 July 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Upper end Assault Mechs like Banshee and Atlas still perform pretty good.
As long as you stay close to meta ( BNC-3E with 3 AC5 and 2 PPC ) you'll do fine.
You still see some very good non LRM Stalker pilots out there too.
Victors, Battlemasters and Highlanders have growen a rare sight.

For the heavy class its like walker said. Orion and Cataphract.
Did see some Thunderbolts performing well too.
I saw some pretty dangerous Orions with dual PPCs and SRMs and I drive an Ilya with dual Gauss and tripple med Laser and I'm doing pretty well.

Regarding med Mechs .... I just don't know.
In my opinion it was always the most difficult class to play effectively and now with the Clans its even worse.
I saw SRM Cents, Balistas and Kintaros grabbing kills from dmged Mechs.
Occasionally a Griffin with dual PPCs and dual SRM6. ( 1S maybe ? )
Or a Griffin with a bunch of med lasers and tripple SRM6 ( fast jumping bas**** )

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PostOndeth, on 27 July 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Lol I own the 4sp as well as cn9-al. I just feel like I get ct'd befote I get any good hits in. I suppose I can take the lrm5's ocf of the cnpal in favor of srms

Try the classic SRM builds 3SRM6s, plus MLs or MPLs, and a big STD engine.

If you don't care about tanking that much ,or torso twisting is difficult for you. Mount a huge XL engine.

This has been my favorite build on the CN-9AL.
Da Beam Wang

The big XL allows for smoother movement, making torso twisting easier, and you hit very hard. Stay mobile, and don't do the "stand and deliver: tactic.

#7 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

I have to say the stock build in the Yen Lo is by far my worst mech. I swapped my AC20 for a Gauss and do better with it because I can keep distance, but I still don't care for it. I prefer my AL or the Champion we got for free.

That being said, I do the most damage with my TDR-5S(P). LRM 25 and 3 ML with TAG and Artemis (STD 260). Regularly rock 800+ games. Beginning of match you stay away, end of match you mop up.

But as said above, try not to rush in. Stay back and stay with friends. A lone mech out in front is just dead meat. Know where your cover is, and don't chase the rabbit.

#8 Ondeth

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 27 July 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

I wonder which 6 mechs you already own, because one should focus on having "3 of a kind" in order to have access to a complete skill tree..

I have elited the Hunchback but only kept the 4SP, Same with Blackjacks keeping the BJ-1 (set up like the champion variant). I have the Yen Lo so currently working through Centerion variants (c-bills providing) I have Sara's Jenner (rarely drive it) and a Victor 9S (expensive chasis to elite :) )

#9 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

Shadowhawks or Griffins are both fast, twist well, can jump, and give you lots of options for dakka, beam, or missile weaponry at prices that don't break the bank.

With the speed and JJ advantage over your current mediums, I think you'd enjoy either.

#10 Ondeth

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

I have traded in a few mechs I wasn't realy playing and bought the Griffin 1N and I must say I'm not doing to bad with only upgrading the armor/heatsinks

#11 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostOndeth, on 27 July 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I have elited the Hunchback but only kept the 4SP, Same with Blackjacks keeping the BJ-1 (set up like the champion variant). I have the Yen Lo so currently working through Centerion variants (c-bills providing) I have Sara's Jenner (rarely drive it) and a Victor 9S (expensive chasis to elite :) )

Scrap the Victor. Its mobility is that of an assault, armor is that of an heavy and weponsloadout is that of an medium.
Since the jumpjets and Vicor movment models where nerfed into oblivion the mech is just a realy expensive and bad bad joke.

#12 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

The bj works in the current meta. I'm curious to try a narc srm cnt, which seems to work for some I've seen.

#13 Kanin Zeta

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'm partial to mediums myself. Blackjacks were the first line I ever Mastered and I've moved on to Wolverines. I'm currently favoring a 7K brawler build packing 2xSRM6's, a LPL and a couple of ML's. One lucky Alpha will down a light and three will take out most assaults.
Mediums are the most fun for my play style, they are reasonably fast if you throw in a decent engine and have a high degree of mobility with the addition of a couple of JJ's. The important part is to know what role your build fits into. With my 7K I try to guard the bigger, slower mechs against getting hosed by lights or guard the flanks/rear during the early phase of most drops. Once the lrm boats and sniper builds have had a chance to "soften up" the enemy and the battle lines are closely engaged, it's time to PLAY...find an enemy that's shot up and finish him off.

Of course, sometimes the situation doesn't present due to the enemy having other ideas ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users