#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Yes, this is a long post.
I collected together most of the things that bother me and decided to put them all into one huge feedback thread. I know I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing the game for a while, I've logged in over 100 hours since December '12, so I'm at least not a newby. And yes, I know there is a thread somewhere that said "Don't put a load of suggestions all in one post." That's not how I roll, though... sorry.

I've bolded keywords in each point to make this easier to glance through. Feedback and arguments are welcome, I know i speak for myself when I make most of these points, so feel free to voice disagreements.

If I make any alterations/additions later, I'll highlight/colourify them. probably just strike through like that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bugs:

- UAVs and bases don't always show on map when spectating.

- Switching between players while spectating doesn't seem to have any order. If you click right, then left, you end up on a different person.

- Occasionally can't spectate other players after the spectated 'mech is destroyed or when initially entering spectate mode. Sometimes fixed by Esc'ing to menu and returning. I haven't seen this issue in quite a while; fix'd?

- Somewhat often can't activate chat while spectating. Usually fixed by Esc'ing and returning.

- Hitbox geometry on HPG Manifold. You know Seriously, how did you launch a map with so much invisible geometry? Most glaring spots for me are:
1. the round columns on the top level below the dish.
2. the floor of that same area - at the edges the hitboxes are higher than the visible geometry, so you can't fire over the ledge reliably.
3. underneath the ramps surrounding the same area. Most lights can fit under these, but firing weapons through them is a joke.

- Friendly markers on HUD don't appear at the beginning of a match. This is a well known bug, but it needs attention, I've done some serious friendly fire as a result of it. This occurs on both the map, minimap, and on the actual field.

- Instances of damage skipping components and striking the other side of a mech. I believe it's happened with ballistics and PPCs, but it's definitely a problem for LRMs (and possibly the other missles). It's really quite silly that I get killed in the rear by an LRM volley that hit me in the front. I'd be happy if I died in a more logical manner.
Suggestions:

- Disconnect and AFK 'mechs: If a 'mech remains inactive for a set amount of time, it is internally flagged as inactive until the player performs an action. If the only remaining live 'mechs on a team are flagged as inactive 30 seconds (or some amount) after the last active 'mechs death, then the match ends. This completely prevents the issue of last remaining 'mech being AFK or disconnected and forcing the enemy team to locate them via F9 coords.

- There should an indication when you're NARC'd. If my teammate can tell me I'm NARC'd, why can't I know for myself? If there is a lore reason for this, then it would make sense that since a team mate can tell I'm NARC'd, then the HUD doesn't reveal to me that I'm NARC'd until I appear in a teammates LOS.

- Ambient temperature of calderas (Terra Therma and Caustic) should be slightly more punishing to deter teams from fighting in them. I suggest raising the temperature between 5 and 10 degrees. As it stands, people simply don't seem to notice that it's stupid to fight inside an oven and as a result, fights on these maps have become sadly predictable. This "meta" doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, perhaps as I've moved up in elo.

- LRM effectiveness on the HUD should reflect the currently targeted and locked 'mech, not the LOS from your targeting recticle. (so obvsly. if a mech isn't locked, the HUD uses LOS instead.)

- This one is very silly, but... if you underweight a mech, its speed should be determined by its utilised tonnage. Right now, if I drop with 5 or more spare tonnes in a 55-ton chassis, the game treats it like a 55-ton mech anyway, even though I weigh 50 tons or less. This might allow for some unique new builds.

- There are some theoretically useless engines right now, such as the XL250, etc...I realise any change to this would actually break a lot of builds and annoy of lot of people.

Rewards/Achievements:

- If your kills and assists add up to 12, you get XP/GXP + small C-Bill for that match
This can happen quite often depending on your playstyle, unlike Philanthropy, which can only occur if you get zero kills but all assists. [added:This encourages the art of grazing every enemy every match, which is silly. See next point.

- You need to land a certain percentage of damage (from total health) to actually score an assist.

- You get greater assist rewards for scoring damage to the component that eventually led to the kill. So if you tear the armour off of a left torso and somebody else scores the kill by taking it out, you get more rewards than some other guy who spread his damage across the entire front of the mech. This rewards accuracy and consistency in component targeting. /added]

UI:

- The default ping sound when clicking on menus and mousing around the screen makes it sound like there's more things going on than you intended. For instance, when adding or subtracting armour, I can't tell how many times I clicked because it makes a double sound for every click, it's highly disorienting. [added: Yes, I know I can turn Front End off, but seriously, why have such annoying sounds that most people need to turn them off?]

- The hitbox for esp. buttons (such as Mechlab and pop-up dialogues) is smaller than the graphic. I find myself repeatedly clicking on the border of buttons and it not registering. This is in discord with what we're used to in most UIs, including our operating systems.

- The dropdown button for selecting game mode should be about 30% wider, it's just too narrow and unobtrusive for no good reason, esp. when the game is in windowed mode.

- Camo spec UI is hilariously awful:
For short 'mechs, the UI blocks half the mech, so I can't see what it actually looks like.
The drop down menu for filtering colours only shows four categories at a time. Can it please show at least 12? Scrolling is annoying.
I can only view 7 colours/patterns at a time. Can you double this? Scrolling is annoying.

- 'Mech trees: there should be an option to Unlock All if we have enough XP/GXP to do so all at once. [added: At the very least, get rid of the consistent "Are you sure?" boxes for each skill.]

- The Select 'Mech window should be combined with the Mechlab. The greyed out unimplemented view options just below the filter options should toggle between these two modes.

- In the Select 'Mech window, the sort dropdown needs tweaked: The options should be "Tonnage" and "Alphabetical" (and if possible one that sorts by most frequently used)

- Exiting the game is needless complicated. We should have a dedicated "Exit" button in the corner next to "Log Out". The vast majority of us, I'm inclined to say 99.9%, never have a reason to log out without actually exiting the game.

- Inventory menu should should be able to filter between "Installed" components (weapons, engines, modules...), "Uninstalled" components, and "All."

- Mechlab filters should be slightly reworked. Options should be "Purchasable", "Playable", "Owned" (and possibly, "Unowned" or "Previously Owned"). The Owned category should NOT include trial 'mechs, but they fall under Playable. This way we can choose to view all Heavy playable 'mechs, or choose to view only the Heavy 'mechs we actually own. The Trial filter on the left hand side should be kept as is.

- When returning to the Mechlab via the Back button, the UI should remember the vertical scroll position. As it is now, it just auto-scrolls so that the last selected 'mech is at the bottom. If I was scrolled beyond that 'mech when I clicked on it, the UI should remember that when I return.

- When configuring a 'mech, the Current Mech tab should still be visible, to assure which 'mech we'll be in when if we launch from here. It's otherwise not innately obvious that we're in the 'mech we were confusing. [added: believe it or not, twice since I posted this I had an issue where I dropped into a match in a different 'mech from the one I had JUST edited and saved the loadout for. Quite detrimental since I had removed significant components (modules, some weapons) to put on the 'mech I intended to drop with.]

- In the Mechlab, onmouseover brings up the 'mechs stats window. The delay between mouseover and the stats displaying should be cut in half, it's just a little too slow (but it shouldn't be zero, obvsly). Also, the onmouseover doesn't work on a 'mech if you just clicked on it, you have to move your cursor away from the mech and put it back to view the stats. Finally, when mousing away from the 'mech, the stats window should linger for a short while - only long enough to move the cursor onto the stats, whereby the window will remain so you can point your cursor at things. I can't count the amount of times I wanted to move my cursor around the stats and point at things only to have the window disappear the moment I leave the mech's box.

- Mechlab, slight overhaul (I know that's an oxymoron =P ): While configuring a loadout, put a 'mech graphic next to the vertical menu so I can click the various hardpoints on the mech - this is much more intuitive than a menu layout, and it's how almost every 'mech game handles it, including UI 1.0 (or whatever it was called before UI 2.0). Further more, keep the menu but repurpose it so it is just the filter (Energy, Equip., Engines, etc) but have all options (Energy, Equip., etc) listed all the time, i.e., if I'm on Right Leg, the Engine option still appears, but it is greyed out, so I intuitively know where to click when I go to my Center Torso without the filter options shifting around vertically for no reason. Also, (this point is debatabe) it should remember which filter I was in when I click on a new hardpoint, i.e. if I have Energy selected on my Right Torso, and I click on my Left Arm, it should stay on Energy except in cases where such is impossible (i.e., if I am on Engine in CT, and I click on Left Arm, since Engine is not an option for Left Arm, it then remembers that Energy was the last filter I used in Left Arm.)

- Auto-refill consumables... Hey, this got added, yay!

Edited by Tarogato, 19 August 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#2 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

This is a bump, but I also updated a few things and removed some verbose points.

[color=red]Also, does BBcode not work on this forum? I swear I tested it before.[/color]

#3 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Please, no bumps! They are actually against the rules, as we do not want bump-wars. And really... they are just a type of spam!

I'll let it slide this time, as you also announced an update to your post. This is a type of content and therfore acceptable.

BBcodes work, but not all of them. Color for example didn't work ever on these boards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users