5 replies to this topic

#1 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Just a quick question. I have a digital storm Intel i7 950 @3.5ghz, 6gb ram and a EVGA GTX770 Classified ACX. I play at 1080p with setting at max. Usually I'm fine and have anywhere from 90-50 FPS. I can understand drops due to action on screen but sometimes it seems a little drastic. Any ideas on how to keep the FPS more stable? Also why does the mech lab make my video card fans crank up to 100%?

Thanks

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

Your FPS sounds about right. You are essentially bottleneck'd by your aged processor.........Turning down Post Processing,AA, and particles can help stiffen the frame drops you feel during the heat of brawling......

Overclocking can help as well but specific info about your rig would be required to determine if you CAN overclock.

And yes the Mechlab has always given any GPU a hard time about things..........There are 5 or 6 reported GPUs that the mechlab has flat out overworked to death........They have patched it since than and it seems less angry with GPUs now....well at least less malicious....

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

Its not you its the program. They need to do a lot of cleanup work and bug fixes. I been getting a lot more crytek memory errors.

Turning settings down lower is about all you can do . Basically you're using less of the program to get around the bugs.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 28 July 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#4 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

well 50-90 is absolutely no issue at all, i avg 46-58. the single best thing i did to keep my fps stable was turn down particles ESPECIALLY for those maps where your mech "steams" alot from high heat. id get drops to 28 fps at times or even lower. also object detail to high and environment to high will help you out alot with very little change to the visual experience.

personally at 50-90 tho id leave it all at very high, and yes its the game and not you. my gpu fan goes crazy in the mechlab

#5 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Teh Power of Nehalem Compels You!

So: Particles is a known evil in almost all systems, and seeing as your CPU aren't up in the 4.whaterverGHz range, Medium makes a good starting point for testing. A (2GB?) GTX770 SC should have plenty of oumph for the graphics-graphics settings, but more then a few seem to load the CPU instead … Or load both.

The Environment is a very strange slider: Many report seeing little difference in image quality between settings, but good-sized changes in CPU- or GPU-Load when it's moved. Low or Medium suggests itself, given you CPU …

The Shader slider in MW:O is the CryEngine Quality slider, relabled: Normally, it effects the GPU load greatly (which you aren't worried about,) but there's this one time, on a rinky-dink Pentium G620, where I saw it unlaod the CPU, so keep it in mind …

Things to put in your user.cfg
ca_thread = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 1
r_MultiThreaded = 1
d3d10_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d11_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d9_TripleBuffering = 1
r_multiGPU = 0
r_MultiThreaded = 1
r_stereodevice = 0
r_UsePOM = 0
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
sys_budget_videomem = X
sys_job_system_max_worker = 8
r_TexturesStreaming = 2
sys_budget_fps = Y
sys_MaxFPS = Y
e_CoverageBuffer = 2
r_silhouettePOM = 0
e_ViewDistMin = 1
g_ragdollUnseenTime = 1
r_Beams = 2
es_MaxPhysDistInvisible = 1
e_CullVegActivation = 1
e_PhysOceanCell = 2
p_cull_distance = 1
p_num_threads = 8
sys_limit_phys_thread_count = 0
e_DeferredPhysicsEvents = 1
e_ParticlesCullAgainstViewFrustum = 1
e_ParticlesGI = 0
e_ParticlesLights = 0
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 0
e_ParticlesPoolSize = 0
r_UseGSParticles = 1
r_UseParticlesGlow = 0
r_UseSoftParticles = 0
e_GsmCache = 1
r_ShadowBlur = 0

q_ShaderWater = 0
e_WaterTessellationAmountX = 1
e_WaterTessellationAmountY = 1
r_WaterCaustics = 0
r_WaterGodRays = 0
r_WaterReflections = 0
r_WaterReflectionsQuality = 0
r_WaterTessellationHW = 1
r_WaterUpdateDistance = 2
r_WaterUpdateFactor = 0.9
Where "X" is the RAM on your card, and "Y" is the refresh rate of your monitor. Dropping "Y" down to 45 or 30 is also an option, but save that play for later …

Then we have the tricky part: r_WaterUpdateThread is by default set to soak up Hz that ca_thread0Affinity needs, so setting it to something other than "5" should help … Except for the part where you are a quad-core with HyperThreading: I upgraded out of my ol' i7-920 a little too soon, so my testing on this isn't what it should be; I don't know where to put r_WaterUpdateThread for best results. Sorry …

There is a reasonable argument for returning thread sorting to the OS:
ca_thread0Affinity =  0
ca_thread1Affinity = 0
r_WaterUpdateThread = 0
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 0
gives the OS an excuse to step in and do so.

As an aside: Get a copy of FRAPS, HWiNFO64, and GenericLogViewer. Very informative, that trio …

Keep in touch …

Edited by Goose, 29 July 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#6 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I figured my CPU was the bottleneck. It's running on an EVGA x58 ftw motherboard. It's already overclocked to a stable 3.51ghz on air cooling. I'll try some if your settings and post an update. I'm out of town for the week so I can't update anything till I return.

Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users