Apparently this doesn't work so well

#42 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 28 July 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Reminds me why i don't watch twitch streams. That match features camping, and then watching jager trying to reconnect.

Good strategy, by the way, just a poor choice of video.

Just show you how well the strategy worked even with Jager's disconnect. :huh:

#43 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 28 July 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

One thing to remember is that the high end snipers are also using top end hardware.

Triple 42" monitors on max resolution. CPU/GPU that generates 120+ frames per second.

Unless you've got a couple of thousand to throw at your computer system, all you can do is not stand in the sniper alleys, keep moving and stay behind cover while you close.

It's not that magical Fiona. Over the years people who play a lot of FPS have gotten very good at aiming with the mouse. You can make it so that your aim is both very fast and very steady. The key is to use a moderate mouse sensitivity, a good mouse, a good mouse pad and the correct body mechanics.

Secondary factors involve tuning your graphics and system configuration to have minimum input and display lag and display smooth frame rates (which is actually different than input and display lag).

For hardware all you need is a intel core -i5 with something like a Geforce GTX 660, and a 120 Hz gaming monitor. The whole set up will not cost you more than $1000 even if you build it from scratch and since you have to get a new computer once in a while anyways, it's not more than a few hundred extra to get something that will make you totally competitive in almost every fps type game.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 29 July 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#44 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

My whole machine cost me $200 two years ago; I know I can't justify dropping $1000 on a gaming rig.

#45 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

Well, the good news is thia game is not going to get more computation intensive, so as the prices on hardware drop, you can pick up stuff that will let you play with smoother framerates. For example, a 150 dollar geforce will probably go a long way towards improving your experience.

#46 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I've been thinking about sniper/brawler synergy.

The thing is, if your team is entirely brawlers, and your enemies know it, they can brazenly stand in the open with clear long sight lines in all directions. They don't need to seek cover, since none of your weapons can reach them unless you dash through a bunch of open ground to get to them.

On the other hand, if they *are* just standing in the open, then they'd be incredibly vulnerable to your own snipers and LRMs.

So, you don't want to build a team made up entirely of brawlers. But if you made a team composed half of snipers and half of brawlers... you're asking your snipers to fight at a 2-to-1 disadvantage in the early phase of the match.

But! Having your own snipers forces the enemy snipers to be honest. They can't just stand in the open. Because even trading shots evenly, if they're in the open, your own snipers / LRMs can focus-fire into a single enemy target, while the enemy is left just snap-shotting at whatever targets of opportunity present themselves, so the enemy fire that your snipers get hit by will likely be spread out amongst them. So, because your own snipers force the enemy snipers to find cover that they can hug... this causes the enemy snipers' vision to be occluded by the cover they're hugging.

By closing off some of the enemy snipers' vision, your own brawlers then have a tempo they can seize to close in. And once your own brawlers get into position just on the other side of a piece of cover, they can push over it and immediately be in the faces of the enemy snipers.

Then... the tricky part is coordinating the push so that when your brawlers go in, your snipers also follow immediately to provide fire-support. If that timing is off, your brawlers are left essentially fighting against 2-to-1 odds. Even if it's only for 10 seconds or so, that's 3 salvos of sniper fire that your snipers didn't sling at the enemy if they're a little bit late to the party.

I'm just idly theory-crafting here. But I suppose it is more difficult to coordinate something like that.

It's just easier to be all-snipers, or all-brawlers, because then it's easier to stick the whole team together and you reduce the probability of screwing up on your coordination/timing and having only half of your team be useful at any one moment.

But I sense that the possibility for such coordination should be there, and that there is a pay-off for successfully pulling it off.

Edited by YueFei, 01 August 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#47 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

Only defense agianst snipers is patience, sit behind a hill and wait.

If you're pugging you're out of luck, half the team will suicide and you'll lose.

#48 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 02 August 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

Only defense agianst snipers is patience, sit behind a hill and wait.

If you're pugging you're out of luck, half the team will suicide and you'll lose.

Some maps have holes you can hide in that deny long sight lines in all directions, like the Forest Colony cave, Frozen City Cave, HPG underground? But not all maps have places like that.

Not to mention such locations are often not at any kind of objective in Assault or Conquest mode. So if you decide to hide in there, enemies can capture your base or cap the other bases without a fight.

On maps without such locations, sitting behind a hill waiting isn't necessarily protective. Aggressive snipers will swing wide and circle around at a distance, essentially keeping you pinned down the entire time. If they spread out a bit they can eventually get angles on you from multiple directions. Then you're cooked.

Good snipers do more than just sit behind cover passively, only periodically peeking out and waiting for things to wander into their gun sights. Just because they are long-ranged doesn't mean that they don't actively maneuver. A good sniper finds places from which he can shoot. If he sees he has no shots, he'll move to a place where he can get shots. And scouts will scour the path ahead to make sure it's safe.

Edited by YueFei, 02 August 2014 - 11:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users