Please Let Us Disable In Game Chat.

34 replies to this topic

#1 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

I know this topic has been brought up before, but yeah, I'm going to do it again.

I don't want in game chat removed, but please give us the ability to at a minimum disable/enable it at will, or best case add the ability to ignore certain players.
I've been playing MWO for around a year and a half and really don't pay much attention to the chat box anymore, but my kids are old enough to play the game now but I really don't want to let them on due to trash that shows up in the chat window from time to time.

#2 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

ya can report people for violating the code of conduct, but i get what ya mean my 8 yr old nephew likes the game his favorite part being the game chat he thinks saying YOLO is hilarious kids eh,

hide game chat function would be welcome as he does some times read thing like not this ****ing map again

#3 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I understand your concern over your kids reading uncivil language. PGI could add a filter, with toggle option, for the chat that would serve your purpose.

As for abusive players, take a screen shot and send it in to support.

#4 Dramborleg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hold on, haven't played the game or been on these forums in a while, and HOLY **** THEY HAVEN'T IMPLEMENTED A MUTE FUNCTION?

#5 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I am in the same situation. I have a 9 year old who likes to play but I restrict him from playing unless I am there, reporting or not there will always be strong language and flat out improper sexual talk. I would love very much to have a button that turns of the chat.

I dont see any draw back to this at all, and it seems like an easy fix.

#6 Wags73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

That would be a welcome addition. My 11 year old would love to play but I will not allow it due to the occasional stuff I read during matches. Not usually an issue but when it is, it can be pretty disturbing and more than I want him exposed to.

You would think it could be an easy fix for PGI.

#7 Zeaor

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

I no longer have young kids but I too find the language completely unnecessary and at times extremely rude. Its like being back in highschool, trying to impress your friends. A filter or a toggle switch would be an easy fix.

#8 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

A MUTE BUTTON PLS PGI!

#9 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

A language filter that we can turn on and off would be a great start, wouldn't stop the abusive chatter, but would definitely help.

#10 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 29 July 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

I understand your concern over your kids reading uncivil language. PGI could add a filter, with toggle option, for the chat that would serve your purpose.

As for abusive players, take a screen shot and send it in to support.

Dirus,

I have done this many times and PGI has been quick to respond. However, I do not feel that the players should have to take that many steps to police the community (this leads to a broader argument of should players have to police the community at all?).

For example, I was in a match on Caustic Valley last night and watched a guy drop three F bombs right at the beginning of the match because he made a bad move and paid the ultimate price (ran his DragonSlayer out by himself with no ECM coverage and was skewered by a maelstrom of missiles). Turns out, he was a newer player who did not understand what he was doing. When players began to honestly coach him (instead of trolling him), he calmed down, accepted the coaching and began to accept advice freely.

I would not want this player to be expelled from the game just because of frustration. He was shown a kinder way and he responded to it (as most players do). I took screenshots but did not report him because it was a situation that needed grace instead of the hammer.

With that being said, my unit has quite a few minors who play MWO with us and "what is seen cannot be unseen." If there was an ability to totally disable chat and drop in teams with my unit, the parents would feel much more comfortable letting their children enjoy this game.

There is a large market that is not being tapped simply through the lack of this feature.

My twin sons, who are both twelve, are allowed to play on many Minecraft servers because Minecraft gives them the ability to shut down chat and just communicate though voice comms. I do not let them play MWO for the same reason ... no ability to disable chat (and, yes, I am aware that there is a 13 year old age requirement ... I just feel 13 is still too young for a child to be F bombed back to the Stone Age).

Alex...

#11 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

I think a Toggle-able filter and the ability to hide the chat box are both easily doable for PGI.
These features exist in just about every MMO out there.

And I think I would support it happening BEFORE an overhaul of the player friend list, which is LONG overdue. Sometimes it is hard to resist responding, and sometimes it is hard to resist responding in a way that just feeds into it.

Sometimes people are positive when you respond in a positive manner, but when they aren't... The ability to hide the chat box would be great.

And next we can get a toggle-able damage counter...

#12 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Yes, I have to agree that I would like the option of turning off the chat box.

#13 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

I would love to have the option to turn off chat. This is really an irritant that does little good in Derptown and Stomptown has people using Teamspeak.

Besides, most don't pay attention or care about text help.

#14 Red Sea

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBeach, toes in sand, tan, tan, tan

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Just a simple ignore button would be sufficient for those who do not have command of spoken language.

#15 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Still would like to see this feature in some way. Actually had an incident last weekend when I let my son play a couple of matches and some character decided that match was the soapbox he needed for his profanity riddled PGI rant. If we can't have a single player game, please let us turn off the chat.

#16 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

The chat box has been essentially broken since closed beta and has show no change since then, no scroll bar, no click on name to mute, doesn't show who's helping doing what aside from "Kill/KillAssist" (You know, tag/spot/uav kill/uavspot/ecmcounter/etz)

I feel like it was a last minute thing or they thought "Eh, they can just get a TS or something." It's in reality a joke how bad it is. It's 2014 and I've seen better chat interaction WITH A PAGER.

But alas...it's Battletech, and it's why we keep playing. If it where anything else, it would of died on closed beta.

P.s. Just a reminder, this game was announced 5 years ago, and has been running for 3 YEARS, with this barely functioning chat bar, can you seriously tell me it "slipped" their mind that its horrible? PGI wonders why it gets bashed so hard, when it can't even get something incredibly basic and archaic as a functioning chat bar. AOL had this down 20 years ago!

Edited by CN9 ACE PILOT, 31 August 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#17 Maverick 69

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

A fairly common occurrence. Would love to see the toggle. Played a game Sat morning, game ended...most players sent the "gg" message. A single player gave us all the "F you" response, and his team WON. I was too slow to grab the screen shot so I couldn't report it. It's a shame we have to even do that...filter please PGI!!!

#18 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, something's gotta give.

I feel that it's to the point that if I took screenshots of it all, half of the players would be banned. Yes, it's getting that bad.

#19 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Go into the testing grounds... type some chat into the window and put a postit note up on the screen where it shows.

Chat Disabled.

#20 Hammer Hand

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

I would like the ability to control the chat. We should be able to block players, and/or close chat as an option.

I have friends sons who I would love to recommend the game too but I cannot. The chat problem is not just a word or two that are "said" but whole off color conversations that are intended to repel people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users