302 replies to this topic

#41 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

...yay... so looking forward to getting hammered by upto a combined 24 arty/airstrikes in matches... especially when dropping in groups.

The rest of the patch is awesome, the module system changes not well thought out at all. Yes modules needed changing but this is a step in the wrong direction imo.

#42 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostBilbo, on 29 July 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

My 3 D-DC's alone just lost the use of 2 modules apiece. I am not at all happy.

Why would you own 3 DDCs? I suppose if you have Cbills to burn that might happen...

#43 Jerbear Phillips

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Love those Awesome quirks! Thanks PGI, glad to see some of the underwhelming mechs get some love

#44 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostMorang, on 29 July 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Have you just renamed ft/s to m/s in fall damage indicator? Or can mechs now fall 3 times faster w/o taking damage?

Lazy, lazy, lazy :)

"The players want the fall speed in m/s instead of ft/s"
"Sure, easy. Hang on"
*changes "ft/s" to "m/s"*
"There, done."

:angry:

#45 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

You'd think Light Mechs would get some extra love in the 'Mech Module category given their necessary role as scout/spotter/harasser... kind of disappointed there :)

#46 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have never touched arty/air till now...

Bit if PGI insists like this.... hmmm...! :)

#47 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

So what happened to releasing IS robots alongside clan robots?

#48 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

People are throwing such a huge fit saying all we're going to see are arty/air, arty/air . . . but for people using them that's 80k/match that will be burned up. Unless you're running premium time and/or hero mechs you need to perform pretty friggin well to make up for that expense. You'll be ripping through c-bill stores quicker than you think.

That also isn't even beginning to look at whether or not we'll have more consumable options in the future. Mines? Remote Sensors? Sensor impulse decoys? ECM pods?

I honestly RARELY even carry arty/air. Normally it was only in a pre-organized game when people demanded arty/air spam. However, I carry plenty of UAVs. The number of times I heard complaints about LRMageddon when in reality it was because I popped a UAV right over the entire enemy team and watched the tears fall as the LRMs sailed. There's no wall-hacks, people . . . situational awareness is key to survival. That can turn the tide of a battle even better than any arty/air strike can if you have the team to support it.

Edited by Sereglach, 29 July 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#49 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I don't use weapon modules, and though I'm warming up to using consumables, I do not, as yet. The fact that not ONE of the 'Mechs I pilot on a regular basis has more than one 'Mech module slot is a load of crap. I ONLY use 'Mech modules, so basically you're cutting off any advantage I had whatsoever, and trying to force me to act like an arty/air spammer.

Thanks PGI... please use some lube next time?!

Edited by Kay Wolf, 29 July 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#50 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostCion, on 29 July 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Why would you own 3 DDCs? I suppose if you have Cbills to burn that might happen...

Because I have no desire to wait until the end of a match to start another if I should die early and, yes, I have plenty of c-bills to burn. It's not the only mech I have multiples of either.

#51 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

View PostSereglach, on 29 July 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

There's no wall-hacks, people . . . situational awareness is key to survival.

I'd like to introduce you to the Seismic module.

#52 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

looks like the silent minority win again with 2 consumable slots =(

on the other hand its grate to see they are using traits to bring back mechs we haven't seen for a long time, might even get my self some Awesomes was always liked them in other games.

also looks like we will need to grind those weapon modules for the clans.

#53 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 29 July 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Mixed feelings here. On the one hand, yay armlock is fixed, inner sphere mech quirks are ACE (I hope we see more of these in the future!), fall damage tweaks are good, and I really won't miss the desync-o-doom. On the other hand, while the *idea* of this module system revamp is good, I really don't like how it's implemented.

The basic idea makes sense. Modules do naturally fall into these three categories, and if they want to make all three types useful it would be nice if they didn't compete with each other, especially weapon modules. It also offers the chance for them to customize and tweak individual mechs in a more finely detailed way. However, they really missed the chance to do this properly.

For starters, there should have been a lot more use of this to balance weaker classes. *ALL* lights and mediums (with the possible exception of the nova and stormcrow) should have gotten the +1 mech module, and then some specific ones should have gotten additional module boosts on top of that. These two classes still lag behind their heavier compatriots in a big way, and this system is the absolutely *perfect* way to start addressing that. if all lights and mediums could bring 2/2/3 after mastery and then some of them could bring a 4th mech module or a 3rd consumable/weapon, it would be a chance to actually partially represent in-game the utility/versatility benefits that medium and light mechs are supposed to have in lore in addition to providing a much needed boost in power.

Similarly, the relative balance between weapon, consumable, and mech modules would have given a chance to differentiate the classes. For example, imagine that assault mechs got only 1 consumable but 3 weapons. Once weapon modules actually get fully fleshed out to be *useful*, this would be a neat way to emphasize assault mechs as the kings of all dakka. Lights might do the reverse and sacrifice a weapon module for a consumable. Mediums could have 2/2/2 stock to emphasize their roles as jack-of-all-trades. None of those *particular* suggestions are set in stone, but they could do things along those general lines to try and differentiate classes.

Instead, most stuff is all the same as everything else, with a few weaker mechs getting a bonus out of pity. And, of course, while the total number of slots goes up, the limiting of the number of slots in any category further highlights the balance problems that individual modules have. This isn't a problem that the module *system* causes, mind you, but this system is just going to make it even more obvious that strikes, seismic, and radar dep rule the module world. The vast differences in power between various modules in the same category isn't something that a revamp of the module system is going to be able to fix, of course, but it *is* something they're going to have to address at some point.

This dude couldn't have explained it any better... regarding modules that is :)

#54 Stealth Raptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 466 posts
  • LocationLenexa, Kansas

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

am i gonna get a refund on my consumable modules??? i run 3 on all my mechs (4 on my raven and DDC) and now i can only bring 2 consumables! and i am forced to bring worthless mech and weapon modules as well? WORST MOVE EVER PGI

#55 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

The Clan Weapon Modules, much like the IS weapon modules are awful.

They have no real value, and even with dedicated slots for them I will not use them because they are really just that bad.

#56 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 29 July 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

All Awesomes:
  • -12.5% heat generated by energy weapons
  • +10% faster heat loss
  • +17% Center Torso (front) armor

Posted Image

#57 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Remember people you can usually grab ahold of the patch notes on the patch notes page prior to these sorts of threads getting updated with them. (For future ways to kill time)

#58 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Locust with three weapon modules? Why, it would be lucky if it could fit two different weapon systems on effectively, like the med pulse with 4 machine guns, thats it.

#59 Stormwolfe13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts
  • LocationJersey Strong

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Why did the Atlas DDC get screwed with the module slots? And Boars Head get an extra slot? WTF (pay to win)... did Clan mechs really need the boost that weapon modules will give them when they already have targeting computers? I swear every damn patch pushes me closer to the exit door. Did it ever occur to you to TEST these changes for a week or two before implementing such sweeping changes? Have you ever heard of doing things incrementally? I will refuse to buy or pay GXP to unlock these dumb Weapon Modules. I would rather have the slots empty. I suggest other pilots do the same. You should have turned them into something useful instead of trying to coerce your players into using something that is just crap. At least you reduced LRM shake. The "quirk" help to IS mechs was helpful to the mechs no one really uses (no Quickdraw though) but what about the one's we use? So damned inept!

Edited by Stormwolfe13, 29 July 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#60 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostSereglach, on 29 July 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

People are throwing such a huge fit saying all we're going to see are arty/air, arty/air . . . but for people using them that's 80k/match that will be burned up.  Unless you're running premium time and/or hero mechs you need to perform pretty friggin well to make up for that expense.  You'll be ripping through c-bill stores quicker than you think.

That also isn't even beginning to look at whether or not we'll have more consumable options in the future.  Mines?  Remote Sensors?  Sensor impulse decoys?  ECM pods?

I honestly RARELY even carry arty/air.  Normally it was only in a pre-organized game when people demanded arty/air spam.  However, I carry plenty of UAVs.  The number of times I heard complaints about LRMageddon when in reality it was because I popped a UAV right over the entire enemy team and watched the tears fall as the LRMs sailed.  There's no wall-hacks, people . . . situational awareness is key to survival.  That can turn the tide of a battle even better than any arty/air strike can if you have the team to support it.

that's assuming you use them if you do terr able chances are you didn't even consider using yore unless you are trigger happy with them and as you say its not just strikes its UAV and cool shots, and with the new system players will at lest be incuriged to carry them which will see them being used more often.

Edited by Frost Lord, 29 July 2014 - 10:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users