588 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Here's the latest word from the Dev Team on Modules! Please tell us what you think!

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 29 July 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors,

There have been doubts raised about the new module slot system on the forums. We were hoping we could take an opportunity to explain our decision as well as where these changes are intended to lead us.

The module slot system was changed while looking at role warfare. We are working on offering a bigger diversity of modules, we are also motivating players to play certain roles on the battlefield, which remains a great request from the Community. This is planned to be unveiled in stages throughout upcoming changes to the reward system and the new command system.

A bigger number of modules not only means more choice: The new module system allows a deeper modification compared to before.

While most Mechs come with 1 Mech Module (2 when mastered), the consumables and Weapon Modules offer a wide range of combinations and specializations. As every Mech comes with at least one of these slots, old Mech modules do not become useless: What changes is the choices you will have to make when specializing in a certain play-style. This choice will always be a matter of preference and sacrifice, depending on which modules the players would like to take with them.

We are constantly working on improving the game; This means changing areas where we think improvement is necessary in order to maintain or prepare the vision we have of MWO. Depending on the feature, this could affect any area of the game. We are very sorry if this has affected or will affect your preferred build of a Mech or play style, but we are always basing our decisions on what will benefit the majority of our players and secure the highly-demanded future of role-warfare.

Please leave us your thoughts on the matter in the feedback thread.

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 30 July 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors,

The Dev Team has heard out your concerns regarding the over-use of Artillery and Air Strikes. With your feedback in mind the following changes are to be implemented within the next 2 patches.

Some have indicated that it is silly for Clans to have access to artillery in the first place, given their philosophical beliefs regarding that weapon system.
With that in mind, Clans will only be able to use Air Strikes.

To balance the Inner Sphere: MechWarriors will have the option to use both Air Strikes and Artillery, but will only be able to field one or the other on each Mech.

Please let us know what you think and update us on how this change will affect your overall impression of the module changes.

#2 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

A role warfare change would have been separating out modules by role

But instead of being sensible and giving scout mechs a boost for sensor modules, command mechs a boost for command modules, etc... you separated out weapon modules which are barely used, and lumped all the mech modules together.

Why not try going back to your own design docs, separate the mech modules by role as you originally intended (and still makes the most sense), and give us a compelling reason to play different mechs for their modules?

Edited by irony1999, 29 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#3 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Has an increase in Arty/Airstrike spam been considered? Seperating the module slots removed the choice between consumables and useful mech modules like radar dep, seismic and target retention. Thus making art/airstrike spam inevitable.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 29 July 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Styxx42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPeterborough Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

The Future is bleek.

Pgi just wants to spam more consumables to generate more coin IMO, force CRAP TASTIC Weapon modules that no one ever uses and nerf Sensors that seemed to be the only thing to work for in the game.

What is a battle tech field with out 48 Artillery strikes going off

"Working to improve" Well now, for me that is three patches, fall damage, JJ, and now Modules
AWESOME JOB!!! Bloody AWESOME ......................

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope that you get the same sort of treatment FOR YOUR OWN GOOD of course that you are foisting on us.

With that I bid farewell.(not really farewell I am just being polite)

#5 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have noticed a dramatic increase in arty/air spam since this change. If the goal is to implement rolewarfare through changes in the module system, where are the limitations on module use by class of mech? Where are the restrictions on arty and air?

#6 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 29 July 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Here's the latest word from the Dev Team on Modules! Please tell us what you think!

This is what you will see on every mech:

Arty/Air/UAV

(Empty weapon mod slots)

Seismic/RadarDerp

Seriously.

I would prefer you cut back the consumable module slots to 1 per mech except light mechs who might get 2, and only on some chassis.

I would prefer we get 1 weapon module slot (since we must have them at all...being as they are really worthless)

I would prefer 3 mech module slots, and some of the slower assault chassis without JJs, should get 4 (hill climb is basically a REALLY nice convenience considering how borked the terrain hitboxes are).

I do not see how any of that would be game breaking.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

A few things:

1. Consumables should not have dedicated slots. They should be directly competing with passive modules.

2. We need more than three categories. Mech/weapon/consumable is far too bland and generic to add any actual flavor to chassis. A more diverse breakdown might look something like sensor/offensive/defensive/support/weapon/mech or whatever.

3. Weapon modules need to be strong enough to warrant their use. They need more range, and the heat penalty is pointless because normal modules don't even have penalties at all.

4. We need more weapon module types. Range boosts alone aren't diverse enough. We need cooldowns, heat, damage, and/or unique/weapon-specific (i.e. UAC jam rate, etc.) weapon mods.

#8 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

should make the Light Mechs have Sensor only slots or something, bigger mechs with more weapon slots kinda like that.

Edited by Corbenik, 31 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#9 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

I enjoy that you want to help create roles through the use of modules. I don't think what's been done so far goes far enough.

I would suggest something like this, which I posted elsewhere already:

I would much prefer to create new categories entirely for what types of module slots exist on a mech.

Command --- Air Strike, Artillery Strike, Air Strike Accuracy, Artillery Strike Accuracy, UAV, Capture Accelerator, Radar Deprivation

Support --- Advanced zoom, UAV, Capture Accelerator, Cool Shot, Tag/NARC/AMS buffs

Sensors --- 360 target retention, UAV, Seismic, Sensor Range, Target Decay, Target Info Gathering

Movement --- Hill Climb, Improved Gyros, Shock Absorbance, Speed Retention

Scout --- Air Strike, Artillery Strike, UAV, Radar Deprivation, Tag/NARC/AMS buffs

Combat --- all weapons upgrades except ams/tag/narc, Cool Shot, Target Decay, Target Info Gathering, Improved Gyros

General --- Open to all modules

The aim appears to be about 5 modules with a 6th after mastery, and one or two more for under loved mechs, and one or two less for mechs that are a little over powered. Consumables can be doubled up if they're in separate sections, but all others can not (or at least provide no benefit). It could even be stated that at least one slot, if you have multiple slots in a category that contains consumables should be dedicated to a consumable.

Examples:
Atlas DDC: Command 2, Combat 1, Movement 1, General upon mastery
Spider 5V: Scout 2, Sensors 1, Support 1, Combat 1, Movement 1, General upon mastery
Catapult K2: Combat 2, Support 2, Sensors 1, General upon mastery
Raven 3L: Support 2, Sensors 2, Combat 1, General upon mastery
Hunchback 4G: Combat 3, Sensors 1, Movement 1, Command 1, General upon master
Timber Wolf: Combat 3, Support 1, Movement upon mastery
Dire wolf: Combat 3, Movement 2, Sensors upon mastery

In general, I'd see many mechs getting (Support 1 or Sensors 1 or Command 1 or Scout 1), Combat 1, and 3 of whatever else makes sense for the traditional role of the mech. Larger mechs, or mechs with poor agility performance would often get at least Movement 1 or 2 in their choices.

Edited by Prezimonto, 30 July 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#10 JHackworth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 106 posts

Niko,
the issue is largely that there is no countermeasure to artygeddon at the moment. If you play a lot and can afford the 80K in a group drop, there is no reason not to bring both strikes. What else are you going to do with the slot (besides UAV)?

#11 Draconis Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Niko,
I appreciate the feedback and am excited with future content that you (PGI) will bring (unlike some of my peers who ramble and hide behind computers). Although here is my only feedback, the amount of modules offered is good, however the modules are expensive and are therefor unattractive to most casual players who do not spend that much time in game and therefor cannot generate Cbills as easily as more hardcore/competitive players. A reduction of cost by 20-25% percent would be good start to off set the amount of modules offered.

Edited by Crusadiar, 29 July 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#12 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Here's what you should have done.

Not this hot mess of a module system that doesn't do a thing to increase role warfare; in fact it does the exact opposite.

* 2 consumables on every 'mech? Arty + Air on every 'mech; that should be a Commander role module.
* 1 mech module only? That's limiting role customization, not increasing it.
* 2 weapon modules? Why?

Remove the consumable slot. Remove the weapon module slot. Implement the system from Dev Blog 4 linked above, and we might finally get some role warfare.

This system you're starting to implement now is bad and you should all feel bad.

#13 Sukotto

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Just logged in to switch my modules around and I noticed that some of them have disappeared.

I lost three Adv. Seismic Sensors, three Adv. Zoom, and three Radar Deprivation modules. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 42,000,000 is kind of a lot of C-bills to lose.... Can I possibly get some help with this please?

#14 Donkehote

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

View Poststjobe, on 29 July 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Here's what you should have done....

...This system you're starting to implement now is bad and you should all feel bad.

^^^ This ^^^

#15 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

On my GB Missile-Boat, I missed today the Seismic Sensor, in HPG a Jenner almost legged me, because I couldn't "see". The FIRST slot goes ALWAYS for the Advanced Zoom, because I have weak eyes and more weaker Monitor... The second slots will be the Target Decay... So no Seismic in the future either... I choose to play Missiles-Boats, and it is a KINTARO for God sake, what should I specialize it else? As A40, I would'n need a Decay.. But how put I that thing on my GB? What should I do, with more Modules, when I have just 2 slots?

Nikolai, I know that is your job, to say such things.. But we all know, why we lose our slots: we don't buyed enough Consumables for MC and don't changed enough XP to GXP.. That is the only reason..

THEY really want bigger diversity? GIVE US 6 UNIVERSAL SLOTS! (instead of 2+1+2+1!) And WE make THAT diversity, belive me!

Oh, sorry, I almost forgot! It's an LRMs-Missiles-Boat, and I can't find the "LRM Weapon Range Modul" nowhere... Only THAT need I in the Weapon Module Slots.. you know, to play my ROLE as Missiles-Boat..

Edited by Sky Hawk, 29 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#16 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostSukotto, on 29 July 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Just logged in to switch my modules around and I noticed that some of them have disappeared.

I lost three Adv. Seismic Sensors, three Adv. Zoom, and three Radar Deprivation modules. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 42,000,000 is kind of a lot of C-bills to lose.... Can I possibly get some help with this please?

Go to this link and read the first two posts: http://mwomercs.com/...-invalid-mechs/
It's just a bug in the MechLab, your modules are still there.

#17 Sukotto

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

View Poststjobe, on 29 July 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Go to this link and read the first two posts: http://mwomercs.com/...-invalid-mechs/
It's just a bug in the MechLab, your modules are still there.

Thank you for your help, kind sir.

#18 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

If your idea of specialization is indeed along the lines of whether one wants 3 meters extra range or 0.02 less heat per shot, I'm beyond disappointed. If these aren't going to make a major difference in the game, you might as well ditch the whole feature and shift the designers to work on something useful.

The values have to be significant. The current values are complete rubbish, and the fact that they actually come with downsides is plain ridiculous.

#19 Sukotto

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Now that the problem is fixed, I have to agree with what everyone is saying.

In the previous system, I was actually staying away from Arty and Air strikes in order to SPECIALIZE as a sniper build by utilizing Advanced Zoom along with Seismic and Radar Deprivation.

In the new system, it is just silly not to run Arty and Air in the Consumable slot. And since there is one less spot for static modules, I am forced to drop Advanced Zoom and stick with Seismic and Radar Deprivation. So I've actually become more of a general build instead of the specialized build I had before ;)

#20 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Any reason why in the heavy category the Thunderbolts line seems to get the short end of the stick? It's not like they were ever a top dog. Lowest total amount of modules, and with only one mech module... Why?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users