Usefull Weapon Modules Please

72 replies to this topic

#1 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

The big limiting factor in this game is heat management. A tiny increase of range for a tiny increase in heat is something most pilots are not going to bother with. About the only thing I would consider using these modules on auto cannons.

How about you give us the reverse for starters, reduce range to reduce heat. I bet people would use those.

Or dont even touch the heat scale and increase range and cooldown time, or again the reverse reducing range to have a shorter cooldown time.

Laser burn time or ballistic projectile speed could be altered as well.

Id like to see ballistics having to deal with recoil so if they did that there would be another option for some kind of module.

Bottom line is for me at least, that I like the idea of weapon modules. However they have been in the game for months and I stopped reading when I seen "increased heat". Thats the last thing I want to deal with. This change feels like "Hey no one is using weapon modules lets change the module system to force people to use them so we can get some data"

So sorry, still not going to equip them. Please design some alternate tradeoffs and I will think about it.

#2 Gambino87

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

The Arrow + MG weapon module = all bonus, no drawback. Pretty much a must have if you have 6 MGs lol I can see it being good for an Ember as well. The ones for the AC10 and AC5 are nice too since they don't cause much heat to begin with. I'd also consider small pulse lasers since they don't draw much heat to begin with either.

Everything else I wouldn't consider for a moment.

Edited by Gambino87, 29 July 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

2.5% range increase is kinda silly..

I have one: the ERLL module.. because I cannot put anything else into that slot.

Most unimpressed, PGI.

#4 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Honestly, I already think that increased power for time spent playing is a huge flaw in a PVP game with no player tiers. The new guy already has a hard enough time learning what all the weapons do, learning the maps, etc., why do veteran players need even more advantages than raw experience?

#5 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 29 July 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Honestly, I already think that increased power for time spent playing is a huge flaw in a PVP game with no player tiers. The new guy already has a hard enough time learning what all the weapons do, learning the maps, etc., why do veteran players need even more advantages than raw experience?

True, but at the same time, if we all start out on relatively equal footing... (especially since they are trying to mech all mechs equal)... where is the tangible advancement?

#6 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Posted this elsewhere.... but repost it here too.

I feel like I should explain why weapons modules are worthless, because I don't think PGI understands why.

1) You made an environment where bigger engines are all bonus and no negative. They have better cooling, give the mech better turn ratio (which makes no sense BTW), they are faster and harder to hit, etc. So most mechs are going as fast as possible. This is important for #2

2)You simultaneously made an environment where mechs struggle with heat CONSTANTLY. I have not seen a highly successful single heatsink mech yet... and yes.... I have tried my hardest to make them work. This is important for #3

3) Your weapons modules increase range slightly for increased heat. We have mechs that can cross 5meters in a fraction of a second, yet struggle with heat, and you want us to make our weapons fire 5m further and be hotter? Are you playing the same game as the rest of us? On top of that they cost an insane amount of Cbills. Any sane player will pass.... (and they have, as far as I can tell)

A better solution would have been longer range for ballistics for a decrease in firing rate, or an increase in firing rate for a decrease in range. For lasers, a decrease in firing duration for a decrease in range, or an increase in firing duration for an increase in range would have been neat. LET US CHOOSE! Telling us we NEED to take your flavor of weapons module is really really stupid. Most games with modules like this allow players to pick modules that suit their play style. If you get creative, I am sure you can come up with 3 or 4 flavors of weapons modules for every weapon type. And no... it should not only affect small lasers (for example) it should affect ALL LASERS, but there should be multiple flavors of laser module, ballistic module, LRM module, and SRM module. That way we can design mechs the way we enjoy, and the modules will actually represent what they are suppose to... pilot skill quirks.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

how about some modules for weapons that matter like the ppc, gauss and lrms :huh:

#8 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 29 July 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

True, but at the same time, if we all start out on relatively equal footing... (especially since they are trying to mech all mechs equal)... where is the tangible advancement?

It's kind of old-school thinking, but advancement should have stayed in PVE games.

#9 L3GR0DANCER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Official Update: PGI is aware of your concerns and requests that you discreetly go f$ck yourselves.

#10 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 29 July 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

This is possibly the most critical thing about the module and skill systems!! An experienced player will beat an new player 99% of the time anyway, why give the experienced player a distinct advantage?

A new player should be able to buy a mech, put the guns on, and have something that performs as well as an experienced player's mech. The weapon modules are the ONLY example of modules, skills, or DHS, that do not give the one who has been grinding for longer a BIG advantage.

The bonus provided by DHS, multiplied by the elite skills bonus is ridiculous. The last thing the game needs is another disadvantage for newbies.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostAC, on 29 July 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

weapons modules increase range slightly for increased heat. We have mechs that can cross 5 meters in a fraction of a second, yet struggle with heat, and you want us to make our weapons fire 5m further and be hotter?

^This.

I have no shortage of CBills or GXP, and now, no shortage of weapon module slots. But there's absolutely no reason to spend anything on modules that increase my range by less than the distance I close by taking two steps forward.

And that's without even considering the additional heat which would be incurred every time the weapons are fired.

Really, PGI, even by your standards, most of those weapons modules are just dumb.

#12 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

SRM range modules are stupid, they should affect all launcher sizes with 1 module without needing to add an extra module (or 2 in some weird build) just to affect other smaller/bigger launchers you may have on the mech, and the benefit you get for them is already pitiful in the first place even if you do have all launchers in the same size.

#13 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

The Weapon modules cost a lot of C-bills for almost no effect whatsoever. Why would i buy them instead of another mech for my collection?

#14 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Can I just have a 3rd mech module on any mech worth driving??? PLEASE???

I mean, why should so many mechs be stuck with just 2 mech module slots?

I could not care less about any of this garbage with the weapon modules, I will NEVER spend a dime on any of that worthless rubbish. Not until they make them worth playing if they gave them to me for free...as it sits, they could GIVE me all the weapon modules and I still would not use them...much less would I spend GXP or cbills on modules and unlocking them...pfft....

Edited by Gyrok, 29 July 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#15 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

The weapon modules suck and pgi is bad at designing games.

#16 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Other than a few highly specialized setups, like the Arrow with 6 machine guns or KitFox with 3 AMS, these weapons modules are utterly pointless.

Make an ER large laser module that offers reduced burn time for reduce range, and watch it sell like crazy, because few people , other than a few 3L drivers riding the shortbus, are shooting er large lasers at max range anywhere but Alpine peaks anyways.

#17 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Only wep mod I run is the narc, in appropriate mechs. Ams seems worthwhile, however being a lrm boat fan, when I'm not in lrm I know how to use cover.

#18 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

As someone who uses the weapon module, if only the medium laser's for my 4P hunchie, They are pretty pointless. The range increase is negligible in this game, the heat also (except with ghost heat). But my problem is with the % base range extension. This heavily favors longer ranged weapons because they are the only weapons with significant ABSOLUTE range increase.

I will probably take the C-ERLL module because that will have, what like 30m increase? But SRMs, the only weapons with a literally fixed range only pick up like 15m. That's nothing, increase the SRMs by 30% or something. They are the most difficult weapon to hit targets with anyway, due to low missle speed.

Tyman

#19 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Heh, wouldn't a reduction in heat as a wep mod be more favorable devs?

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostGambino87, on 29 July 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

The Arrow + MG weapon module = all bonus, no drawback. Pretty much a must have if you have 6 MGs lol I can see it being good for an Ember as well. The ones for the AC10 and AC5 are nice too since they don't cause much heat to begin with. I'd also consider small pulse lasers since they don't draw much heat to begin with either.

Everything else I wouldn't consider for a moment.

Alternatively, MG module and LB-10X module on either the Arrow or the JM6-DD. LB-10X produces almost no heat anyway, so now you get a range boost for both weapons and a tighter cone on the LB-10X for almost no penalty.

But really, I would gladly pay for a range boost with proportionally longer burn time as long as the range boost is worth it. Maybe, 15% to 20%. For AC/s, how about a faster reload in exchange for shorter range? Or longer range in exchange for a longer reload?

Honestly, anything but heat. I don't have heat capacity to spare on my Locusts, especially the LCT-1E and the LCT-3S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users