News! New Mech For August Is....

170 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

This isn't for sure, but it was hinted at so heavily in the latest couple of Twitch shows that I've seen that I would put real money that this is the next mech, and probably will be out in August.

From House LIao we have the Vindicator, 45 ton, PPC right arm, medium laser head, LRM-5 left torso, and small laser left arm.

Posted Image

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

If it is, it's got an upward battle to compete against the Blackjack.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostDracol, on 30 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

If it is, it's got an upward battle to compete against the Blackjack. Shadow Hawk, Griffin, and ECM Cicada. And most of the other mediums.

Fixed.

Edited by FupDup, 30 July 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostDracol, on 30 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

If it is, it's got an upward battle to compete against the Blackjack.

but it will be PERFECT for SMM.

I welcome the Badger or Tikonov.

#5 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Didn't you know?

The vindicator will come with ECM

Because it makes absolute zero sense as to why they would give it ECM they will indeed give it ECM just for ECM's sake.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 30 July 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Didn't you know?

The vindicator will come with ECM

Because it makes absolute zero sense as to why they would give it ECM they will indeed give it ECM just for ECM's sake.

What's ironic is that there actually are two ECM variants...in the distant future.

Whatever the case, ECM would actually help the mech sorta compete against its 55 and 50 ton overlords...which is why I don't expect it to happen. :)

#7 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 July 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Fixed.

The fight against 55 tonners and an ECM mech is a whole different battle. It first has to beat out its direct tonnage competition, which tough enough as it is.

Edited by Dracol, 30 July 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Only an extreme Liao lover would get this. Terrible hardpoints, low engine cap = DOA. Anyone with C-bills is just going to get the Kit Fox anyway.

The BJ-2 is not too far off. What is the Vindicator's purpose? Nothing.

Edited by Spheroid, 30 July 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#9 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I love, absolutely LOVE the vindicator

But it's not what we NEED

What we need is a Phoenix hawk! Yes I know it will never happen and that is just fine but they can still try out their MW licencing powers and design a custom mech that fits the bill

A very fast jump capable 45 ton battlemech with a decent array of energy and light ballistics

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

I like BJs.

But seriously, it could fill a role that the Trebuchet failed to do as a 50 tonner...

Then again, I don't know its stock hardpoints to make an informed assessment.

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 July 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

I like BJs.

But seriously, it could fill a role that the Trebuchet failed to do as a 50 tonner...

Then again, I don't know its stock hardpoints to make an informed assessment.

Stock for the normal Vindi is 1 missile and 3 energy...there better be some hefty inflation there, to at least 6-7 total hardpoints. Given its other weaknesses, I'd even be comfortable with 8 (it would still probably fall short of its 55 ton overlords, but it would help...).

Edited by FupDup, 30 July 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#12 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Who doesnt like BJs? Everyone likes BJs. Hyuk Hyuk.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 July 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Stock for the normal Vindi is 1 missile and 3 energy...there better be some hefty inflation there, to at least 6-7 total hardpoints. Given its other weaknesses, I'd even be comfortable with 8 (it would still probably fall short of its 55 ton overlords, but it would help...).

From what I was reading..

The base 1R variant would probably need to double up on the missile hardpoint (and double up on the energy hardpoints) to become reasonably viable.

The 1AA variant is essentially going to allow for a great engine cap that the BJ-1X enjoys... this with arm articulation (the BJ does not have that), it could make for a better Trebuchet-5J if more energy hardpoints were added.

The 1X may allow for something the BJ commonly uses, minus the AC20 ability (it has actuators) as the MG is a replacement for the SL (which is in the arm), so it can fit a Gauss Rifle (PPC+Gauss Rifle "might" in the cards, considering the tonnage involved...).

So, it may do something worthwhile, if the appropriate hardpoint expansions occur.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 July 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#14 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

They're adding "quirks" to I.S. mechs now...

If the Vindicator kept it's stock configs (3 energy and 1 missile), but added a 15% reduction in weapon cool down time (for instance), it'd almost match up with the Shadowhawk DPS, even at 10 fewer tons.

Wouldn't THAT make it a mech worth using, especially since PGI is now truly pushing us down the "roll warfare" hill? If a group needs to squeeze 12 mech jocks into a drop weight, that extra 10 tons will be important.

#15 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 30 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Pfft. You didn't include the rest of that drawing.

In the next panel of concept art, you missed the part where the KING CRAB crushes the puny Vindicator underfoot, Monty Python style, then fires at an opportunistic DireWolf that was closing in on the fresh kill, and snorts contentedly as the DireWolf yelps and scampers away, tail between it's legs. The Crab then makes crab noises of contentment as a bevy of scantily clad Highlanders approaches and begin cleaning it's chitin while it settles down to it's meal, because really, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING.

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 July 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

From what I was reading..

The base 1R variant would probably need to double up on the missile hardpoint (and double up on the energy hardpoints) to become reasonably viable.

The 1AA variant is essentially going to allow for a great engine cap that the BJ-1X enjoys... this with arm articulation (the BJ does not have that), it could make for a better Trebuchet-5J if more energy hardpoints were added.

The 1X may allow for something the BJ commonly uses, minus the AC20 ability (it has actuators) as the MG is a replacement for the SL (which is in the arm), so it can fit a Gauss Rifle (PPC+Gauss Rifle "might" in the cards, considering the tonnage involved...).

So, it may do something worthwhile, if the appropriate hardpoint expansions occur.

I'd prefer it to look like:

1R: 3-4e, 2m

1AA: 3e, 1-2m, higher engine cap and maybe better agility

1SIC: 3e, 3-4m

1X: 2e, 1-2m, 3-4b

#17 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Great! Another potentially fast mech with small hit points (based on this artwork). Like we need more like Florida needs Ebola.

#18 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 30 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

This isn't for sure, but it was hinted at so heavily in the latest couple of Twitch shows that I've seen that I would put real money that this is the next mech, and probably will be out in August.

From House LIao we have the Vindicator, 45 ton, PPC right arm, medium laser head, LRM-5 left torso, and small laser left arm.

Posted Image

I believe it when I see it!

Looks good and will buy it when available!

#19 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

The thing the IS needs is not the 45ton medium. Its the 90ton (I think) Mauler, which is the other confirmed IS mech that is "on its way". That mech alone will turn the tide of "Clans are P2W" noobcakes. Its a mech with the needed firepower that the IS needs to compete with the Clan mechs.

Think 4 UAC5 a pair of SRM or LRM and either ML or LL in the arms depending on how much ammo you want and what size eng. That is just modifying the stock layout, not to mention any HP inflation that always happens to IS mechs.

Note: HP = Hard Point
I do fully expect the Vindi to have some pretty heavy HP inflation, since much like how the Banshee, it only has a few guns stock. As such, PGI has been doing some very heavy HP inflation on mechs, adding in many more energy/ballistic/missile slots to existing areas. So that single PPC arm, probably will be 2 or even 3 energy slots depending on ECM or not. As PGI has a Point Value system when they go to put a mech together, based on tonnage. So an ECM HP has a very heavy cost, and as such the mech will have very few HP inflated, over the non ECM mechs (just look at the Ravens/Cicadas and you can see this). Whats valued at what is unknown, but it is how they balance things. This is why Clans got no HP inflation at all, because you the player technically can do the inflation on your own, omni pod system and all.

#20 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

If it's not for sure, then don't announce it as such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users