• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostOdanan, on 31 July 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

So why there is the 3/3/3/3 rule?

(I know you are right, but that's not how MWO works)

LOL!

I just wanted to say, I'm liking your post Odanan, because I agree with pretty much everything your sig says.

#102 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostLord Perversor, on 31 July 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

VLOG 5 check around 7:30 min mark the mech pictures.

Notice some oddity around Heavy mech pics.....
Draw your own conclussions ( my tin foil neuro helmet works superb)

There is a Lancelot below that first Orion. :)

Edited by Odanan, 31 July 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#103 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

more like "Prototype" which would be relegated to a single loadout... we need a minimum of 3

Then three prototype load outs. Quit being a Buzz Killington!

Even the Urbanmech didn't get this much resistance lol.

Ok, we can stick with the humanoid mechs...BORING!

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 31 July 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#104 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

I would like to see a faction point reward system based upon mech chassis.

An example: House Liao loyalist pilots a Vindicator into a battle relating to the Capelan Confederation's intrests.That pilot would earn bonus faction,Xp and pay for those types of matches.

There are numberous examples of battlemechs favored by particular Houses.Some examples.

Raven:Capelan
Commando: Lyran
Dragon: Combine
Orion: Free Worlds
Centurion: Federated Suns

It would not be difficult to assign a factional chassis in every weight class.

Lyran Commonwealth mechs

Light: Commando
Medium: Griffin
Heavy:Flashman
Assault;Banshee or Zeus

#105 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Damnit, caught out by subject phrasing into assuming they had officially announced it :)

#106 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 July 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

There is no variant of the Blackjack in the game that packs in missiles. I wish there was one, but there isn't. The only missile-equipped variant in lore is the BJ-2 (a 3052 'Mech); none of its spin-offs have missiles, either.

You're right, it's not in game yet. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be.

As for the 'spin-offs', you haven't looked too carefully at the Blackjack Omni-mech loadouts, have you?

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

I was just about to post that same argument. It has the same loadout of a Phoenix Hawk, but with an extra small laser.

Also, as a Training Mech the Chameleon could also be fun as a permanent 5th Trial Mech.

Chameleon is not available yet, so that's a no-go.

#107 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

No new IS mechs will be released until "ALL" Clan mechs are available for C-Bills.

#108 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 31 July 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Does nobody here like the assassin?
Still remember mine in mw2.... aaahhhh good times... <3<3

I think the Assassin would be a great 40 ton mech. It would be a nice counterpoint to the Cicada. It is nearly as fast, does have jump jets.

As long as they don't go with one of the slower 40 ton mechs, that would be fine. But, the Assassin is my top choice, and give it double hardpoints so 2 energy RA, and 2 missile LT, and 2 missle RT for a total of 2 energy and 4 missile hardpoints.

But for 45 ton mechs the choices are super super limited. The Vindicator and the Wyvern are about it. There is the Hatchetman, but the lack of a hatchet would cause riots.

That being said the Wyvern can be good, but isn't that much different than a Vindicator for hardpoints. A Liao Vindicator would be my choice.

#109 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 31 July 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Does nobody here like the assassin?
Still remember mine in mw2.... aaahhhh good times... <3<3

Posted Image

#110 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I think the Assassin would be a great 40 ton mech. It would be a nice counterpoint to the Cicada. It is nearly as fast, does have jump jets.

As long as they don't go with one of the slower 40 ton mechs, that would be fine. But, the Assassin is my top choice, and give it double hardpoints so 2 energy RA, and 2 missile LT, and 2 missle RT for a total of 2 energy and 4 missile hardpoints.

But for 45 ton mechs the choices are super super limited. The Vindicator and the Wyvern are about it. There is the Hatchetman, but the lack of a hatchet would cause riots.

That being said the Wyvern can be good, but isn't that much different than a Vindicator for hardpoints. A Liao Vindicator would be my choice.

Esactly. With the Assassin and its speed I used to hit and run like hell (MASC installed).

I wish next IS medium weren't another slow medium; we've already got them.

#111 Jett Hawking

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

You know, there is a direct alternative to the Pheonixhawk that PGI could put in the game without any fear. It's called the Chameleon. It's stats are virtually identical to the Pheonixhawk and it would have a fantastic cockpit view.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon

However, I would also push for the Bushwacker which was designed specifically to be able to deal with the clans. It's profile would make it able to utilize cover extremely well, and it's mix of weapons allows it to fight in every range band. It has speed, good armor, and good firepower,.. for a medium mech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bushwacker

If you are looking for a Sam Colt mech that would make all mechs equal, then you might consider the Thunder Hawk for the IS.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder_Hawk

#112 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

I simply can't see a Vindicator being even near effective in MWO. The main reason, it's WAY too slow. It has a 180 engine stock. That means the thing would be slow, and have bad hard points,.

It's like the Panther, a very common, very popular mainstream Draconis Combine light mech, but the thing is about half the speed of a Jenner, so it's carp.

The thing can't fill ANY role that isn't done better by other mechs.

If random stock by factin games wre available, than I'd LOVE the idea, but they're not, and I don't see it ever being used after the first week it were in.

If they want to do a LOL mech, then do the Urbie, which is more popular because it's SOOOOoooo bad. The Vindicator is...bland and doesn't have any capabilities.

#113 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Bushwacker is 55 tons, and we've got enough of those. I want more fast, 40-45 ton mediums.

#114 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostJett Hawking, on 31 July 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

You know, there is a direct alternative to the Pheonixhawk that PGI could put in the game without any fear. It's called the Chameleon. It's stats are virtually identical to the Pheonixhawk and it would have a fantastic cockpit view.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon

However, I would also push for the Bushwacker which was designed specifically to be able to deal with the clans. It's profile would make it able to utilize cover extremely well, and it's mix of weapons allows it to fight in every range band. It has speed, good armor, and good firepower,.. for a medium mech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bushwacker

If you are looking for a Sam Colt mech that would make all mechs equal, then you might consider the Thunder Hawk for the IS.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder_Hawk

Yeah, but it's horrifically bad "artwork"

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Bushwacker is 55 tons, and we've got enough of those. I want more fast, 40-45 ton mediums.

Not available till 3053, and only one variant at that time.

#115 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

The real problem we're looking at from this point forwards with Inner Sphere 'mechs is that most of the available ones with three or more variants (not including remarkable/hero 'mechs) that even slightly fit the chronology have already been done- and there aren't a whole lot with three variants even if we ignore the chronology.

Of those that have the necessary variants, most are Unseen- and some of those aren't really worth putting in.

The Wasp and Stinger are Unseen and basically equivalent to each other anyway, and the only way they aren't really worse than the Locust is in having jump jets. The Hornet is even worse in that regard. The Thorn lacks the variants to support inclusion, as do the Mongoose and Hussar. The Mercury is a no-go for lack of MASC and isn't notably common anyway, the Falcon doesn't have the available variants nor does the Firefly, the Hermes requires MASC as well, there are really only two Javelin variants (since most just change the missile launcher types), and the Urbanmech requires engines that cannot be used in MWO. The Valkyrie is another Unseen, the Ostscout is essentially completely pointless despite having been Reseen, while the Panther is neat it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and the Wolfhound doesn't have the necessary variants.

The Sentinel lacks available variants, as does the Whitworth, the Hatchetman requires physical combat, the Phoenix Hawk is Unseen, and the Wolf Trap has only one configuration as it's a prototype at this point in the chronology. The degree of actual difference in the Crab variants is negligible, the Hoplite is not only Wolf's Dragoons only but has no current variants, and the Scorpion is a quad.

The Ostroc and Ostsol, while being Reseen, don't really have the variants to support placement, the Rifleman is Unseen, the Axman again requires physical combat, the Archer is Unseen, the Caesar hasn't got the variants and is basically the Cataphract minus that weird bar across its 'nose'. There aren't enough Guillotine variants available, the Warhammer is Unseen, and so is the Marauder. The Lancelot lacks the required variants and so do the Bombadier and Exterminator, and the Flashman falls into this group as well. So does the Black Knight, and the Thug to boot.

The Goliath is a quad, the Shogun hasn't got enough variants, the Mauler's possession of enough variants is debatable, the Annihilator suffers the same 'these variants aren't really variant' problem as the Crab, the Imp lacks available variants, and the Marauder II not only doesn't have variants but is also Unseen. The King Crab is just as short on variants as the Imp.

For lights, this leaves us with the Panther (maybe); in Mediums there's the Assassin, Clint, Hermes II, Vulcan, Vindicator, Enforcer, Wyvern, and Dervish; we might hope to see the Crusader (although that may be Unseen), Champion, or Grasshopper (assuming someone can dig up enough variants) in Heavies; and Assaults gives us the Charger (and the Hatamoto Chargers), Zeus, Crockett, and Cyclops.

The major limiting factors here are three-

First of all, a lot of variants in-universe don't make sense as variants in MWO. A particularly good example is the ANH-1A and ANH-2A Annihilators- for the 2A one tonne each is saved by converting the AC/10s into LB10-Xs- and then immediately turned and put into changing the Medium Lasers into Medium Pulse Lasers. Net change in hardpoints or other equipment: zilch.

Secondly, MASC is not an allowable piece of equipment yet and neither is Triple Strength Myomer. This precludes use of certain Fleas, any variants of the original Hermes but one, all Mercury's, one of the Vulcans, a Centurion, several Wolverines, a Cataphract, and stymies the Clans by precluding the appearance of the Dasher and Executioner and thus bilking them of their 20-tonner and 95-tonner- and that's just going by a slightly-outdated listing of the 3050 available 'mechs, there are bound to be other variants and Star League era 'mechs that are stopped by the nonextant MASC. Once this is fixed, three light 'mech chassis options are immediately opened for Inner Sphere 'mech addition.

But third and most importantly, the current rules for how 'mech skills work prevent the use of any 'mech that does not have three variants. This kicks out huge chunks of the 3050 Inner Sphere 'mech listing, and further prevents the addition of a high proportion of all 'mechs from 3055 onward, including not only the vast majority of Inner Sphere 'mechs but also a long roster of second-line Clan 'mechs. The 'Mech Skill rules within the game are really due for an overhauling to fix this, or there aren't going to be many more 'mechs left to add to the game within a year and a half.

Until that point comes, we're looking at maybe one Light 'mech, two Heavies (three if we're super lucky), four Assaults and the rest of everything possible for the Inner Sphere being even more Medium 'mechs that do mostly the same thing as one another.

The short list of likely 'mechs- Panther, Assassin, Clint, Hermes II, Vulcan, Vindicator, Enforcer, Wyvern, Dervish, Champion, Grasshopper, Charger, Zeus, Crockett/Katana, Cyclops.

Of those I think the Cyclops, Charger, Grasshopper, Champion, Wyvern, Enforcer, Vulcan, Zeus, and Assassin could bring valuable options to the game.

Of those I'd like to see the Cyclops, Grasshopper, Panther, and Dervish show up.

Given the patterns of 'mech presentation and availability previously, of those I expect to see the Vulcan, Vindicator, and Zeus.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 01 August 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#116 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

We already have 9 mediums, we don't need any more mediums. We have 6 lights and 7 heavy's and assaults. so the next mech should be a light followed by assault, heavy, light, assault, heavy, light and then you can have another medium.

#117 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostDracol, on 30 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

If it is, it's got an upward battle to compete against the Blackjack.

It used to be a good mech on tabletop, because that PPC was unusual for a mech so light. In this game though? The hardpoints are junk, and even 30 tonners are sporting PPCs regularly, so I think they need to tweak it if it is going to be useful.

#118 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostLastPaladin, on 01 August 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

It used to be a good mech on tabletop, because that PPC was unusual for a mech so light and a single PPC was a serious threat to any 'mech.

FTFY.

I hate how anaemic our weapons are unless boated, it might be the most serious of the multitude of sins committed by PGI against BattleTech, that because they can't fix spread/convergence they have to make our weapons peashooters that we bundle up into mega-weapons.

#119 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

I would pilot one if it looked like that.

Edited by 3rdworld, 01 August 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#120 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 01 August 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

I would pilot one if it looked like that.

thanks. We clash often, so it actually means a bit more, coming from ya. For reasons not fully understood even by myself, the Assassin has always been a personal favorite.

I would kill to get the Assassin and the Vulcan to add to my Medium Mech stable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users