13 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

So whether or not this is honestly needed or been brought up before (I have trouble believing it hasn't), I would love to see lasers have better fire control capability. That is to say, so long as you hold the button down, they fire until their duration (or charge, however you want to think of it) is used up. They would recharge as soon as they are no long firing. The only time you would not be able to fire is when you obviously have no charge left and the time to return to a full charge is proportional to amount of charge left.

So say I fire 50% of my charge on a laser away, it would take 50% of the standard cooldown time to return to a full charge but that is if I don't fire at all during that time.

To make pulse different in behavior and use, you could make it so the charge is based off 'pulses' rather than duration. That is to say the charge is segmented into pulses which are not streams, they are one point and click shots. You can only fire off a pulse if that segment of the charge is 100%. So essentially the pulse lasers would be kinda like the Clan ACs.

Edited by majora incarnate, 31 July 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

That works, though it is kinda removed from BT version of pulse laser.

#3 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Ha.

View PostQuizzical Coconut, on 20 July 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

- A way to end a lasers firing sequence early, preferably with many options to do so (hold mouse button for full duration, or click once to fire/click again to end, or a dedicated key that ends all current laser discharges).

So yes, +1 for this idea.

#4 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

i fire all my weapon groups with the keyboard so i don't even want this. -if anything make it optional

#5 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

Good idea but I would like to make normal lasers to be "high availability" weapons, you push the button, the beam starts and heat goes up. There would not be recycle time, the weapon would be balanced by their inherent spread, fully DOT.
Their damage would be rated for a 3 seconds (example value) activation, so a laser with damage 10, would mean 10 damage over 3 seconds.

Pulse lasers would be just like now, a short burst of high damage.

This would restore usefulness for pulse lasers by giving them a role, the problem here is that normal and pulse lasers are essentially the same thing.

#6 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 31 July 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

Good idea but I would like to make normal lasers to be "high availability" weapons, you push the button, the beam starts and heat goes up. There would not be recycle time, the weapon would be balanced by their inherent spread, fully DOT.
Their damage would be rated for a 3 seconds (example value) activation, so a laser with damage 10, would mean 10 damage over 3 seconds.

Pulse lasers would be just like now, a short burst of high damage.

This would restore usefulness for pulse lasers by giving them a role, the problem here is that normal and pulse lasers are essentially the same thing.

As neat as that would be, normal lasers would need serious damage compensation to make up for such a spread. Using your example, 10 damage spread out over 3 seconds would be terrible and it is very easy to over adjust and make them too powerful. For a weapon like this, they need to have a forced cooldown period or something similar to the MW4 RACs and their chance to jam increasing the longer you hold the button down to ensure that they are kept from becoming overpowered but worthwhile.

#7 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

View Postmajora incarnate, on 31 July 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

As neat as that would be, normal lasers would need serious damage compensation to make up for such a spread. Using your example, 10 damage spread out over 3 seconds would be terrible and it is very easy to over adjust and make them too powerful. For a weapon like this, they need to have a forced cooldown period or something similar to the MW4 RACs and their chance to jam increasing the longer you hold the button down to ensure that they are kept from becoming overpowered but worthwhile.

Of course, it is an example value. An increasing, over time, burnout chance could be a good idea.

Implementation could use the TAG model, it should not be a big deal.

Edited by EvilCow, 31 July 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

As far as being easier to implement and understand goes, I'd still rather see this small little change. There are enough convoluted mechanics in this game as is, adding some sort of "jamming" mechanic to limit the power of DoT weapon rather than simply forcing a limit and allowing it to retain its purpose as a burst weapon would still be the better option imo. We have all seen how well direct fire DoT weapons work out in this game *cough* AC2 *cough*.

#9 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

I'm tempted to say I wouldn't like it simply because it's so different to anything previous in the MechWarrior series. But then again, much of MWO is, so if it's something lots of people would prefer, why not?

#10 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,944 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:12 AM

We just need X-Pulse lasers IMO.

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostMister D, on 31 July 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

We just need X-Pulse lasers IMO.

Why do we need the IS version of ER pulse lasers because that is what they are in BT, and I doubt PGI will deviate that far from canon? Especially since two Small X-Pulse is WORSE than a single Medium Pulse in BT, it does have Anti-Infantry capabilities that the MPL doesn't but that isnt something to write home about especially for this game.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

I wouldn't mind it as an LL boat pilot most times except I'd rather it only burn as long as it currently does BUT you can cut it off prior to that. It would save me heat, cooldown, and FF when joe derp wants to cut in front of me just as I fire off a few. The only issue I really see with it is how ot handle groups and chain firing. If you let it burn as long as you wanted what would be the point of taking multiple lasers? You'd get the exact same DPS out of one that you'd get out of 4, you'd just take longer to do it because 4 would drain the energy faster but still only do as much damage as one.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I didn't say they were drawing from a collective pool of "charge". Each one would have its own "charge"
So the only real difference between this and how it is now would be the ability to control your beam times (but never go over). Aside from the pulse change.

Edited by majora incarnate, 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postmajora incarnate, on 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

I didn't say they were drawing from a collective pool of "charge". Each one would have its own "charge"
So the only real difference between this and how it is now would be the ability to control your beam times (but never go over). Aside from the pulse change.

I would still keep the max burn time to what it is now with the ability to "cut off" the stream. Kind of like the Gauss charge mechanic. You can charge it, but if you don't like the shot, you don't have to waste the ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users