Is Autocannons

63 replies to this topic

#1 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

I would like to see the firing rates and range put back to pre-nerf levels just so we have some DoT options. I miss my AC2's :)

Opinions?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

Posted Image

#3 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 31 July 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

:) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

AC/2, fix RoF or fix ghost heat penalty. Everything else? Don't touch them, they are fine.

#5 Tharnes

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Cannons need more love, screw these laser/ppc/gaus metas.

#6 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Still don't agree with this one, just as in the other thread regarding this. The pre-fix AC2 was ridiculously powerful. It was nothing to chain fire 2-3 of them and it was a machine gun with the longest range in the game that rocked your cockpit nonstop.

View PostTharnes, on 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Cannons need more love, screw these laser/ppc/gaus metas.

Ok....

uhm....

Lasers are not in the meta at all. Trust me, you don't see big laser boats as the "go to" mech for competitive players.

ACs are the only pinpoint weapon in the game. Not even clan ACs have that. They are the only weapon in the game that allows you to put massive damage with a single shot on one location. ACs are the last thing that needs a buff of any kind. AC2's are a plinker extreme range weapon. They are not meant to deal large amounts of damage. They're meant to be a deterrent to those lurm boats sitting at range thinking they're safe, making players keep their heads down, etc.

#7 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 July 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

AC/2, fix RoF or fix ghost heat penalty. Everything else? Don't touch them, they are fine.

Not quite, they do need more. When we run out of ammo...

Posted Image
we need "BANG" flags to pop out of the barrel.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

In the spirit of

Posted Image

you can have your ROF back right after paul turns all your autocannons into dot weapons.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostAndross Deverow, on 31 July 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

I would like to see the firing rates and range put back to pre-nerf levels just so we have some DoT options. I miss my AC2's :)

Opinions?
Our Rate of Fire and Ranges were just to high, I love ACs, I do, but we fire far to often for the damage we throw. And I deplore DoT. AC2s are peashooter weapons it is how they have been forever. At best they should sting, but an AC2 should not be a powerful weapon.

#10 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Our Rate of Fire and Ranges were just to high, I love ACs, I do, but we fire far to often for the damage we throw. And I deplore DoT. AC2s are peashooter weapons it is how they have been forever. At best they should sting, but an AC2 should not be a powerful weapon.

or be nasty little crit seekers.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

or be nasty little crit seekers.

Meh. We have that in our Machine Gun already, AC2s where annoyance weapons on TT, you used em to plink armor off when the enemy could not hit you due to the range. Also in my hands they were a beastly TAC weapon! I have a ammo kill or multiple engine crits using AC2s in every game I used one. Heck I once had an enemy team stop shooting at the "big guys" to kill my stock Blackjack-1!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 31 July 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Meh. We have that in our Machine Gun already, AC2s where annoyance weapons on TT, you used em to plink armor off when the enemy could not hit you due to the range. Also in my hands they were a beastly TAC weapon! I have a ammo kill or multiple engine crits using AC2s in every game I used one. Heck I once had an enemy team stop shooting at the "big guys" to kill my stock Blackjack-1!

Exactly, except MGs aren't doing squat to an enemy 150 meters out. AC2 and SRMs should have (in my opinion) been the "crit seekers". That's the bonus of boating that kind of weapon. Realistically AC2 would be absolutely worthless in this game if it adhered to TT damage, RoF, etc. There would be no point in taking it. I agree that it was nerfed for a good reason, but it shouldn't be relegated to "worthless" status (which I don't think it currently is) so there has to be a medium in there somewhere that allows it to be useful without being more than a "lesser" weapon. 2 damage to open areas in a pretty rapid fore manner SHOULD do some damage to internals

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Exactly, except MGs aren't doing squat to an enemy 150 meters out. AC2 and SRMs should have (in my opinion) been the "crit seekers". That's the bonus of boating that kind of weapon. Realistically AC2 would be absolutely worthless in this game if it adhered to TT damage, RoF, etc. There would be no point in taking it. I agree that it was nerfed for a good reason, but it shouldn't be relegated to "worthless" status (which I don't think it currently is) so there has to be a medium in there somewhere that allows it to be useful without being more than a "lesser" weapon. 2 damage to open areas in a pretty rapid fore manner SHOULD do some damage to internals

SRMs definitely, AC2... Meh. I guess it could work that way, but At those ranges Id rather have the plink on armor rather than Internals. Personal perspective is personal. :)

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 July 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

SRMs definitely, AC2... Meh. I guess it could work that way, but At those ranges Id rather have the plink on armor rather than Internals. Personal perspective is personal. :)

oh I'm not saying it shouldn't just plink when dealing with armor, just that it should be nasty on exposed areas. That's about where AC2s need to be. Scratch armor but nasty in exposed areas

#15 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

It does...if the enemy stands there and takes it. They usually don't. A small crit bonus to internals on all ACs would actually make sense, since they are firing partially explosive rounds.

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Blackjacks? have you seen a COM-1C Commando in action :)

Had a table top game where a Direwolf pilot was KO'ed by a AC2 head shot.Man o man was my buddy miffed about that.

#17 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Regarding the AC2, it was underpowered in Battletech, but if something is made useless, then it doesn't get used in MWO- Period, so the thing has to have a use that's somewhat balanced for the resources it uses (6 tons, needs ammo makes it roughly paralel to a large laser)

Yeahs it's a peashooter in Battletech, but battletech has all sorts of unbalanced weapons, nobody ever uses AC-2s in custom mechs, and theyr'e considered a flaw in stock designs.

It needs to be roughly 75% the battle value as an AC-5 IMO

#18 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I would like the ROF or the range kicked back up. Right now they are kinda meh..

I have taken them off of all but one mech. Which I left alone because of the good memories I have had with it.

And then put in srm's on most of those as they were mostly mediums.

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 July 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

It does...if the enemy stands there and takes it. They usually don't. A small crit bonus to internals on all ACs would actually make sense, since they are firing partially explosive rounds.

nah, just the AC2 for me. The rest do more than enough damage on their own with no bonuses and have the advantage of being FLD PP

and no, the MG doesn't do anything past 150 meters
at all
range doesn't allow it to

View Postverybad, on 31 July 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Regarding the AC2, it was underpowered in Battletech, but if something is made useless, then it doesn't get used in MWO- Period, so the thing has to have a use that's somewhat balanced for the resources it uses (6 tons, needs ammo makes it roughly paralel to a large laser)

Yeahs it's a peashooter in Battletech, but battletech has all sorts of unbalanced weapons, nobody ever uses AC-2s in custom mechs, and theyr'e considered a flaw in stock designs.

It needs to be roughly 75% the battle value as an AC-5 IMO

except they outrange every other weapon
cost no heat
and are great against aircraft (which is actually what they were originally designed for but given the tech and economy of 3025 they got used against mechs)

#20 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

nah, just the AC2 for me. The rest do more than enough damage on their own with no bonuses and have the advantage of being FLD PP

and no, the MG doesn't do anything past 150 meters
at all
range doesn't allow it to

Wrong on the MGs. I chewed up a Stalker on Tourmaline a couple of days ago at around 200 meters using my Arrow. And I know it wasn't the Pulse Lasers because I was running too hot to fire them.

Range extension helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users